is f1 is crown jewel of motorsports?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

Ray wrote:Not trying to encite any animosity, but alot of F1 fans don't seem to know the history of other motorsports. Seems like most people think that history started when they were born. Alot of things that were done at Indy, for example, have paved the way for modern motorsports. The things that were tried there have trickled down through the ages and made their way into other forms of motorsport. I love F1, but it is by no means the only avenue advanced technology has come about.
Ray, you make sense, but it's a common malady. There are many different forms of motosport that have contributed to the vast wealth of ideas and technology we now enjoy. Not only F1, but LeMans, Rally, and even stock car racing, to just pick a few examples out of a hat. Yes, there are F1 fans who do believe that only F1 contributed. But to play the Devil's Advocate, there are NASCAR fans who hold that same opinion, and devoutly believe the only proper form of motor racing involves stock cars turning left. To use the term "ignorant" is harsh, I prefer to think of them as just not educated .. yet. So when I run across that mindset, I do not think lesser of them in any way. But I silently say to myself that they just need enlightening education, forbearance, and patience.

Ray

I for sure Dave appreciate your understanding. I've never been more amazed with technology than in F1. I wish they would let them go wild and come up with all kinds of creative things. For sure they have the highest technology, but they are the be all end all of it. I love F1, almost as much as NASCAR. And being from the South, that's saying alot. I try my best to soak up all the knowledge about F1 that I can, and thanks to you and Ciro, Manchild, Tom and Calors, I do just that. Not naming favorites, but those guys pop into my head first. Ever since I stumbled on this site, it has increased my interest in F1 tenfold.

Tom

Well thats great to hear Ray.
May I point out that most of F1 design, and enevitably NASCAR, LMS and most other series, most of the technology came from the aeronautical industry, think about a race car, the Le Mans Peugeot 908 for example, compared to a fighter plane, take the Eurofighter.

Obviously both European machines with alot of American influence, the main reason I chose them, also they're very neat vehicles aerodynamically. There are alot of very similar aspects to both of them if you look closely but I think we all know which one is leading technology wise. Think how many of these planes are lost each weekend due to component failure, compare that with F1 cars.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.