Mark Webber's 'footwork'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
D
D

Mark Webber's 'footwork'

I'm new so hello everyone.

A small observation while watching the Malaysian GP on ITV. During the onboard footage of Webber (chasing Wurz I believe), I noticed he jabs at the throttle while full on the brakes before/during turn in.

Just wondering what is the significance of this? Any ideas out there why he drives like that? Is that a change of style on his part to suit the car or has he always driven like that?

As you can tell, I'm a bit of a novice in this area so any information/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Iciano

I think its just his left foot braking style - adjusting the atitude of the car using the throttle while braking...

waynes
waynes

settling the rear of the car possibly, trying to aid turn in combatting understeer maybe

manchild
manchild

bizadfar
bizadfar

autoblip.

Ray

It's cause he's Aussie. The greatest peoples I've ever met. They drive on the wrong side of the road and they talk funny. What'd you expect? :lol:

forzasab

Ray wrote:It's cause he's Aussie. The greatest peoples I've ever met. They drive on the wrong side of the road and they talk funny. What'd you expect? :lol:
Heyyyy watch it buster! :evil:

LOL coming from a country where people have a Canadian/American/French accents lol and you say we talk funny! :lol:
Find the line, the speed will come.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Applying the throttle actually helps straighten out the car and stabilize it under braking. Of course you give away a wee bit of braking, but especially in difficult, awkward corners, it's better to give away .03 sec than get completely sideways.

Ray

forzasab wrote:
Ray wrote:It's cause he's Aussie. The greatest peoples I've ever met. They drive on the wrong side of the road and they talk funny. What'd you expect? :lol:
Heyyyy watch it buster! :evil:

LOL coming from a country where people have a Canadian/American/French accents lol and you say we talk funny! :lol:
Never said we didn't talk funny or have our own quirks! :lol: :lol:

BTW I LOVE the Aussies. Imma marry me an Aussie woman. Just as soon as I can get back there and club one over the head and drag her back here. :lol:

forzasab

Only havin a lend of yah mate :wink: :wink:
Find the line, the speed will come.

Ray

I understand. I love the Aussies and finally found an opportunity to poke a little fun a them.

Tom

I was racing this weekend (I was rubbish, dead last I've no doubt) but when I got onto the fast parts of the track I was experimenting with balancing the car, I noticed that to get the back to step out left foot braking is very effective (incredably hard to pull off though) but allows alot of control. I'm sure this control could be used to keep the back end stable and tight, depending how good you are.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Tom wrote:I was experimenting with balancing the car, I noticed that to get the back to step out left foot braking is very effective (incredably hard to pull off though) but allows alot of control. I'm sure this control could be used to keep the back end stable and tight, depending how good you are.
Craig Cookson (ForthRight) in his F1Challenge Driving Guide wrote:If you are often hesitant with the pedals or steering motions (or the corners have a very 'stop-start' feel) you are probably losing time; you might even find there are places during a lap when you aren't pressing either pedal at all - this is not a good thing.
From my own F1sim experience I can say that I can have mcuch higher speed in some corners when I use both pedals at a time.
E.g. "Luffield" at Silverstone. - tried that today.

vyselegend

I feel a bit naive there, but could it be that blipping throttle while braking avoid rear locking in turn entrance (braking zone), then keeping a slight brake while accelerating helps avoid wheelspin (with no or low TC setting that is) in turn exit?
Would explain that both pedals are sollicitated during whole turn.

Sounds a bit simplistic I know. Just an idea...

BTW Tom, since you have racing opportunities, what about being F1technical's silly ideas tester? (take life insurance before of course, as some of us might have real crap ideas sometimes...) :)

Ray

vyselegend wrote: BTW Tom, since you have racing opportunities, what about being F1technical's silly ideas tester? (take life insurance before of course, as some of us might have real crap ideas sometimes...) :)
Here Here! I second that! :lol: :lol:

I want to know if an F1 car will really run upside down at speed. Whadda think Tom? You game? :lol: