Heron Combustion Chamber Design

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Carlos
Carlos

Heron Combustion Chamber Design

While researching the 1966 Brabham BT19 I came across this article. The last few months I have been thinking about the Heron piston/combustion chamber - the head is usually flat and the combustion chamber is an insert into the piston. The Morini 350cc motorcycle engine used this design. I was surprised to learn that the 3000cc F1/Gran Prix Repco engine also used a Heron head design. This article is mostly about motorcycle engine design and is by an engine designer - it concerns 3>5 valve Heron head design and several patents. Thought it might offer something to consider before race weekend begins. Possible future application to F1 design? There's a nice picture of the Repco F1 engine for those that are curious and another of the Cosworth DFV. There are definite parallels between F1 and motorcycle engine design. Westlake once took a 250cc single cylinder F1 test mule engine and used it to develope a prototype 500cc twin for Motorcycle Gran Prix.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?s ... icle_id=83

flynfrog

wouldnt it make the piston bigger/heavier?

Carlos
Carlos

Yes, that is the main drawback, a heavier piston. I think an imorovement in cylinder filling efficency may be a compensation with improved porting, perhaps clever design and materials could get by this problem.