Brawn Slates ITV-F1 Coverage

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fan Solo
Fan Solo

Brawn Slates ITV-F1 Coverage

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58461

Im sure Im not the only person who uses a laptop/PC to access the live timing feed from the official F1 website whilst watching the TV coverage?

Makes things much much more interesting, great in the ad breaks too. I have to admit fans deserve more seeing as 95% of the footage recorded passes by unseen we should have a whole interactive channel similar to Kangaroo TV where we can access whatever we like. Paid for or not it should be done.

Alternative commentaries would be nice too, I seem to recall a certain Mr Davidson doing a sterling job last year. Ok so now hes driving but whats wrong with getting all the test drivers together giving them a mic, would give them something interesting to do 'for sure' :)

FS
MMIAFN

zac510
zac510

Don't you remember they used to have this kind of television but nobody used it?

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

Yes I remember but it was too early for most people, nearly everyone in the UK has access to DTV now whereas when Mr E's F1TV was around you had to have a chimney wok. The potential audience now is way way bigger & probably more interested too now the field has been shaken up a bit.
MMIAFN

scarbs
scarbs

IMO I think watching the ITV feed, ignoring anything said but the pit reporter interviews with drivers or engineers. then having the FIA live timing screen on my pc is the best way.

That way I get to see the real gaps who is lapping fast, plus who has made how many stops. I can then ignore the B****ks JA comes out with on his view of the gaps and strategies.

wazojugs

the british coverage is miles better than the coverage i saw in australia, mexico and the usa

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

scarbs wrote:IMO I think watching the ITV feed, ignoring anything said but the pit reporter interviews with drivers or engineers. then having the FIA live timing screen on my pc is the best way.

That way I get to see the real gaps who is lapping fast, plus who has made how many stops. I can then ignore the B****ks JA comes out with on his view of the gaps and strategies.
Yup thats pretty much the set-up here, do you think someone should send RB the link to the timing site? :D
MMIAFN

ketanpaul

I agree with Fan Solo, paid or not this should be there. The audience now has access to more DTV, HDTV and all so it should be done, no doubt :lol: :lol:

ds.raikkonen

I remember missing Heidfeld's brilliant pass on Alonso in Bahrain bcoz the dumb starsports channel was busy with ads :evil: obviously they replayed it but its half the fun...ITV and Speed TV have better coverage time, i prefer them...
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

ginsu
ginsu

i agree with brawn completely, i wonder if he and schumacher might get something done about this now that they have to watch ITV. how difficult is it to have at least 3-5 drivers split times on the screen ALL the time? all they have to do is shuffle between the ones they're covering with the camera, and the ones that are doing fast laps.

i used to have to watch exclusively live timing on my PC and it was strangely wonderful, you always knew who was really pushing the car (the purple helps) because you could see every single split time. it's really interesting how some drivers are sooo much better at one part of the circuit than another. you can really see the speed differential, and it really adds alot to the race.

also, getting live weather is pretty neat too.
I love to love Senna.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's commendable that Brawn comes out and educates the TV fans that there's a lot more available, and we're not getting that package. If the people in the pits have tools that give them valid information on the ebb and flow of the race, who's going fast, who's doing what and where, just exactly why can't the avid TV fan have access to this?
My personal beef? It almost always happens, where two cars are locked in a fierce battle near the end of the race. Last lap, they are nose to tail, and coming up on a prime passing zone. This could determine the difference between a third or fourth position. What happens? The camera cuts away and we get to see the winner cruise across the finish line, and miss that fierce battle just behind him. I understand that the race director has to show the winner crossing the finish line, but if there ever was a time for split screen, or picture in picture, this is it.

waynes
waynes

James Allen is the single most annoying person in the world

whiplash

waynes wrote:James Allen is the single most annoying person in the world
Followed in close second by Ted Kravitts

bizadfar
bizadfar

waynes wrote:James Allen is the single most annoying person in the world
Ohh yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa!!!

"button, villeneuve, (more drivers, more drivers), all have to pit once more"
minutes later
"button's running 5th, a good performance"
minutes later, button crashes after his stop at turn 3 brazil 03 while coming 9th.
"oh what a shame, button was performing well today"

when Webber does a full 360 spin/save there:
"well nobody could do that today"

lol!

Spencifer_Murphy

Brawn isn't actually slating ITV's coverage...he's just slating the coverage of F1 on TV, and he happens to live in the UK so he watches the ITV coverage. Lest we forget...all of the race feed and on-screen timing is distributed to all the TV stations that show it, so if he's critising anybody its the local race coverage providers or FOM (whichever one does it at each GP...though FOM does most of it IIRC?)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ginsu
ginsu

They had some problem this weekend in Quali where they didn't put any order or times up for about 5-10minutes and it was excruciating watching the racing with no idea who was going fast and who was going slow. These organizers need to realize that a video of an F1 car is not enough, I need to know how fast these things are going with NUMBERS!

I'm sorry, it just infuriates me that I have to listen to stupid announcers disseminate information for me. I'd rather have that information for myself.
I love to love Senna.