Mclaren Cheating !!??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
siskue2005

Mclaren Cheating !!??

hello guys its my first post here... :D

Thats pretty huge flexing of the front wing?
How did FIA miss something which is so obvious??:shock:

http://www.supload.us/free/mclaren(mh).gif/view/
PS: If u cannot see the pic
copy paste the above link, And press and hold Shift key while you press refresh Key![/b]

manchild
manchild

Welcome to the forum :wink:

FIA tests wing flexing by applying static load expecting that wing would flex downwards under the load. Mclaren obviously made a wing that won't flex under static load but will flex upwards in certain situations. So, FIA needs to introduce tests for upwards flexing too.

f1.redbaron

Re: Mclaren Cheating !!??

siskue2005 wrote: How did FIA miss something which is so obvious??:shock:
Probably because the car isn't painted red

(and, the floodgates have been opened) :D

Sorry!

Saribro
Saribro

manchild wrote:Mclaren obviously made a wing that won't flex under static load but will flex upwards in certain situations.
The wing is obviously flexing downwards. Notice that it comes up while the car brakes for the corner, thus when it's slowing down, thus less downforce, thus not pushing down as much.
Also, I would imagine (so this is hypothetical) the FIA tests put the static load on the top element only, in which case the wing supposedly passes. However, when running, the main profile also experiences load, which is most pronounced at the endpoints, pulling the top element down further than just it's natural deflection. This would make it more difficult, but probably not impossible, to pass a deflection test on a fully loaded wing.
This new McLaren wing is not making it easy for the FIA to keep load-testing fair and consistent :).

ginsu
ginsu

Yeah, that's pretty bad. It was obviously designed to flex, so no suprises, I wonder how long before they add some struts to support it?
I love to love Senna.

bhall
bhall

Re: Mclaren Cheating !!??

f1.redbaron wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: How did FIA miss something which is so obvious??:shock:
Probably because the car isn't painted red
Bravo!

I still think Ronnie should have kept his mouth shut about the so-called flexing floor issue. As scarbs said, "Those who live in glass houses..."

I hope the FIA is all over this front wing.

Tom

It looks pretty clear but to be sure I'd like to some other cars wings coming into the same corner, same speed etc.
It struck me that that is a huge straight coming into turn one at Barcelona and, esspecially with a headwind, the huge forces on the wings are likely to move them quite a bit, although being under the nose we can't usually see the flex. Now Mclaren have a wing in clearer view the amount of flexing is becoming clearer.

I'm not sticking up for Mclaren, I just want to see all the evidence before I condemn them.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

siskue2005

can FIA ask Mclaren to remove the device before tommorows Quly ??
Or does Mclaren have this illeagal device for the whole week, and gain an Unfair udvantage?? :?

chasefreak
chasefreak

mclaren alwayz knew that it will flex ... they must be having a better understanding of the rulezzz

modbaraban
modbaraban

It took about 10 mins for that pic to show up for me.. and in the end I saw nothing :roll:

siskue2005

modbaraban wrote:It took about 10 mins for that pic to show up for me.. and in the end I saw nothing :roll:
If u cannot see the pic
copy paste the above link,when the upload limit pic comes
press and hold Shift key while you press refresh Key! :)

chasefreak
chasefreak

i was going through soem videos of the friday testing and the mclaren fron wing seem to flex the most only that that turn....... so as someone said we need to see if everyones wings are flexing cuase the mclaren bi-plane wing is more visible to the video camera ....

Sawtooth-spike

Looks like Mclarren got the same rule book as ferrari, the old GREY area rules.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

bosanac1
bosanac1

Ian P.
Ian P.

Flexi-Flyer

The rules are very specific on the issue of moveable aerodynamic devices and the stiffness required to meet te force and flex requirements.
There must be some minor wrinkle in the selection of the point of application of the force that allows the Maclaren wing bridge to meet the deflection requirements. And meet them it must.
If the thin bridge is as stiff as we expect it needs to be then it is indeed a nice piece of fabrication.
On the flip side, since it is very diffiicult to notice any significant deflection, either the forces on the wing are low or as mentioned it is b....y rigid.
Enough of the stiffness/deflection issue. Why have they gone to all this trouble to stick a device in an otherwise pristine section of airflow. There must be a reason. The bridge has virtually no chord, the angle of attach is next to nill, you can't rely on breaking induced nose dive to change the situation and it has no tweaks or trim tabs to adjust.
The ony one I can come up with, which follows on comments from others, is that in the downdraft of a car ahead, it might provide additional downforce to counter what the main wing would loose. A bit of a streach but I can't see any other benefit.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."