Pre Race Proceedure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bez
bez

Pre Race Proceedure

Hello All,

I am just doing a little research and I wonder if anyone is patient enough to provide this complete novice with a couple of fairly simple answers.

What is the process of getting an F1 car ready for the race. i.e tyre heaters and such like.

Also what is the process then in terms of taking the car out to the grid. i.e. Do they have a five minute siren or anything, and is there a particular order in which they go out to the grid?

It may be easier to just go through the process stage by stage.

Many Thanks

modbaraban
modbaraban

I can't give a good answer, but this contains a bit of what you want to know (driver's point of view)

PS: welcome to this great forum :)

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The actual schedule of required events is documented on the FIA Sporting regulations. http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/ ... ATIONS.pdf
There are numerous meetings and procedures that have to be completed, as well as media and sponsor obligations.
For the driver on race day, the team would schedule a pre-race strategy meeting where drivers, strategists, and other team principles would lay out a strategy and driver expectations. Before the race itself, the driver would mentally and physically prepare himself, and then go through the pre-race procedures required in the regulations.
For the car, it would undergo a thorough inspection, as well as all support equipment such as refuelling rigs and air guns, batteries and radios, the list is a long one. The car would be carefully warmed up, a very important step.

checkered

Bez, there's a lot

to getting the team, car and driver ready. One aspect of it is car assembly - teams do it once they arrive at a track and more often than not to get to solve a technical problem of some sort, be it as a result of an accident or just a malfunction of some sort. Before the season F1 official website ran a series of articles about the procedure, it's good reading. Here are the links:

1) Nude chassis fitting
2) Front suspension & brakes
3) Powertrain, rear suspension and rear wing assembly
4) Nose cone, undertray and bodywork