Why is Alonso not penalized?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens

Truth is, a driver pretty well has to make contact and have an accident before it will be taken up by the race officials.
Close only counts in hand grenades and hydrogen bombs.

modbaraban

manchild wrote:Sometimes driver gets back on track in a certain way due to inertia not because he decided to rejoin that way. To punish someone you got to be certain that it was his intention to do so.
Yes but when he did the same 'walk in the park' like on lap 1 later in the race, he rejoined before Kimi sled to the left side and instantly started pushing Kimi off the road! :shock:

manchild

modbaraban wrote:
manchild wrote:Sometimes driver gets back on track in a certain way due to inertia not because he decided to rejoin that way. To punish someone you got to be certain that it was his intention to do so.
Yes but when he did the same 'walk in the park' like on lap 1 later in the race, he rejoined before Kimi sled to the left side and instantly started pushing Kimi off the road! :shock:
I was talking about rule. Some people are suggesting that dangerous rejoining should be punished trough some new FIA rule and I agree but to make a rule you have to clear out and define what is intentional dangerous rejoining and what is accidental. Rules must consist on solid principles that can be applied in any situation.

modbaraban

I'm repeating it. That cannot be accidental as he already flew past Kimi (driven by inertia) and was rejoining from the left almost into Ferrari's sidepod.

I believe such things are called 'dangerous driving' in F1.

eidetic

I forget, but could part of it be that the stewards vary from race to race? In other words, he wasn't penalized yesterday, but could have been in another race. I'm not going to say he did, or didn't, deserve a penalty. However, if we have rotating stewards, it's hard to imagine there will always be consistent enforcement, and more importantly in this case, interpretation (since it was a judgment call and not a black and white issue), of the rules.

Tom wrote:unfortunetly I missed the start when my Sky+ descided it couldn't handle the pressure of Hamilton on pole :evil: but alot of his spins did look overly risky.
I too had a hard time with Hamilton on pole.... I love the guy, but it's damn near impossible for a Ferrari fan like me to root for the talented bastard!

manchild

I'll rephrase... It has nothing to do with Alonso, I'm talking about introduction of specific regulations.

1. I agree that deliberate dangerous rejoining should be punished.

2. In order to punish someone specific regulations must be written.

3. In order to write regulations you got to have clear method for determining if dangerous rejoining was deliberate or not.

4. Since no marshal can read what goes in driver's mind it is very difficult to write specific regulations and impose punishment based on what marshals and cameras have seen because it could be misleading.

modbaraban

Alonso's move wasn't such a horrific crime anyways but...

how come they 'penalized' MSC in Jeres 1997 :)

mep

Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxrDaA0P_bI

The driver is still not able to drive the car.
So if Alonso will continue to drive that way he will once
be punished for it anyway.

Tom

Besides at Jerez Bernie himself warned ALL the drivers that any stupid behaviour would induce a draconian punishment.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.