The US Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1.redbaron

m3_lover wrote:
Isn't Ferrari, BMW Mercedes biggest market in the world the U.S?
Maybe if you're comparing US to a single country (say Italy), but if you compare the US to a region (say, Europe or something similar), then no.

This is from Mercedes' official site (2005 figures):

n Western Europe, sales increased through April by two percent to 248,100 units. In the U.S., sales rose by 16 percent during this period, reaching the record figure of 72,500 units. The Mercedes Car Group also set a sales record in the Asia/Pacific region, with sales increasing by 23 percent to 44,000 units.
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0- ... 0-0-0.html

Compare the figures for W. Europe to US

As for BMW, I looked quickly, and I found their data for year 2000 (yeah, I know)
The ten biggest BMW sales markets in the year 2000 were (in order of sales volume). Germany with approx. 240,600 vehicles (an increase of 0.2 percent over the previous year), USA with 189,423 vehicles (plus 22 percent), United Kingdom with approx. 68,300 (minus 3 percent), Italy with approx. 43,900 (plus 10 percent), Japan with approx. 35,900 (plus 2 percent), France with approx. 33,900 (plus 7 percent), Spain with approx. 27,600 (plus 18 percent), Belgium with approx. 22,400 (plus 19 percent), South Africa with approx. 16,200 (plus 13 percent) and Netherlands with approx. 14,500 vehicles (an increase of 5 percent over the previous year).
Source:
http://www.autointell.com/european_comp ... s-2000.htm
(again, I looked at the first thing I found, sorry)

The point I was trying to make is that those brands do not need that type of advertisement. They are well known in the US. India is a different case. Right now, it is emerging as one of the biggest economies in the world, and many millionaires are popping up all over India - and it is those people that BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari (and, of course, Toyota :D ) will have to win over.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

When Jaguar competed and won at LeMans in the "50's, it put them on the automotive map and brought a form of publicity that was out of proportion to their racing budget.
Manufacturers such as BMW and Mercedes have already established a name and image in the USA. They probably don't get as good a return for their investment in the US compared to opening markets such as India and China.
Right now, Tony George and Bernie are each playing hardball, because basically each can survive without the other.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

f1.redbaron wrote:Maybe if you're comparing US to a single country (say Italy), but if you compare the US to a region (say, Europe or something similar), then no.
The thing here is that you don't compare a country to a region, its either country to country or region to region. What you are saying is similar to "apples to oranges".

If you want to include Europe in the equation then I believe we are going to have to include North America (Canada,U.S. and Mexico) as a whole as well. Just to make a fair comparison.

As for Ferrari, the U.S. is its largest market in the world. I would guess that is is the same for BMW and Mercedes.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

f1.redbaron

mx_tifosi wrote:
f1.redbaron wrote:Maybe if you're comparing US to a single country (say Italy), but if you compare the US to a region (say, Europe or something similar), then no.
The thing here is that you don't compare a country to a region, its either country to country or region to region. What you are saying is similar to "apples to oranges".

If you want to include Europe in the equation then I believe we are going to have to include North America (Canada,U.S. and Mexico) as a whole as well. Just to make a fair comparison.

As for Ferrari, the U.S. is its largest market in the world. I would guess that is is the same for BMW and Mercedes.
But, according to that logic, why did we have a San Marino GP? To how many people would they actually try to sell their product.

In many cases, US (by itself) is compared to Europe (or, better yet, Western Europe), Asia, etc. The reason for this is that US has much larger population than Canada (some 10x); Mexico, because of its political situation (or image), US does not like to associate itself with them, so they are often considered a market by itself.

But take a look at the data issued by Diamler Chrysler. They sold more units in Germany than in the US (3.5 times as many), and they have less than 1/3 of the population of the US.

As for Ferrari, yeah, I agree, US market is the biggest one, which is the reason why they don't need that much F1 exposure. American already know about the brand, and it is not like people buying those types of cars have too many brands to choose from.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Pole again for Hamilton. Will he make a mistake at all at any point?

checkered

Very impressive, putting in

two almost equal fast laps in the final session. The two McLarens made very different starts from the pits to the 3rd segment, again. In the first races I thought it was foolhardy of the team to have Hamilton sitting in his car at the end of the pitlane, engine running, for three minutes. Apparently there's no risk involved in doing so.

It will be interesting to see whether the rumors about Fernando having words with Ron after Canada, and Ron's subsequent decision to race his drivers with identical (of course with a one lap difference) strategies henceforth to quell any further impulses to make comments in the media about preferential treatment has any truth to it. Alonso has continued voicing cryptic objections to how strategy, testing and sharing telemetry etc. are handled at McLaren, though. I won't believe it until I see it - race after race. My best guess is that any intra-team tension is secondary to choosing the most advantageous overall tactic.

As to the rest of the grid ... hope the Ferraris and BMW's can mount a challenge and not squabble amongst themselves too much. Hamilton vs. Alonso only goes so far, as exciting as it is. Too bad about Williams and Aguri having a harder time than a week ago. Renault showing some improvement, I hope they have the race pace solutions figured out too ... if only to improve my fortunes in the fantasy leagues! 8)

allan
allan

Great pole for Hamilton... day after day the guy is showing the world how brilliant he is...
i was reviewing the speedtrap figures now, take a look:
http://www.formula1.com/race/result/spe ... 76/24.html
Mclaren are sitting in 19th and the 20th places :shock: are they running a high DF setup? isn't it a little bit risky here on this particular circuit??

checkered

Yep, noticed the

same thing, albeit the Ferraris seem to be set up differently from one another, too. Raikkonen is 10 kph faster than the McLarens through the speed trap, Massa only 5 ... I think this was also reflected in the sector times through the whole weekend thus far. While 5 - 10 kph disadvantage might sound like a lot, if you can't keep up on the twisty bit I doubt you can get close enough on the oval/straight. It will take a mistake from either of the McLarens in the turns leading up to the oval for the Ferraris to even have a chance. On the other hand, if the Ferraris do get ahead at some point (start, tactics?) the McLarens will have their work cut out for them.

modbaraban
modbaraban

allan wrote:...I was reviewing the speedtrap figures now, take a look:
Have you noticed 3 Renault engines topping the table?

Saribro
Saribro

modbaraban wrote:
allan wrote:...I was reviewing the speedtrap figures now, take a look:
Have you noticed 3 Renault engines topping the table?
And the front row entirely at the bottom? :)

Carbon
Carbon

Off topic, but...

I'm in a but of a panic. My local cable providers don't seem to have the USGP scheduled today. Does anyone know when and where to catch the GP in Canada? TSN looks to have it as a tape delay, SPEED doesn't even list it.

I know there was a string earlier, but I can't find it. Please....before the start.

f1.redbaron

Check the local FOX channel at 1PM. It'll be there.

Speed and TSN will have a tape delay.

allan
allan

I'm in a but of a panic. My local cable providers don't seem to have the USGP scheduled today. Does anyone know when and where to catch the GP in Canada? TSN looks to have it as a tape delay, SPEED doesn't even list it.

I know there was a string earlier, but I can't find it. Please....before the start.
i used search, and i came up with this
http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/index.p ... usecal=yes
i guess we wont be able to see the gp until wednesday :?
Edit: take a look at this schedule:
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/feature/?fid=10949

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Here in Toronto I can get the race on TSN-HD, and FOX

C/\D

I'm not sure but (if im wrong correct me) star sport usually gives the race or RTL in German. If you can find a streamserver of Star sport or other you may watch it on your computer ...