AOL tells you what to think.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tom

AOL tells you what to think.

The 50 best racing drivers as told by AOL...http://motoring.aol.co.uk/greatest-driv ... 2309990001
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

PNSD
PNSD

Please to God tell me that is not in order.

If so, whoever decided the order they should be sacked, if not shot. Seriously.

vyselegend

WOW... :shock:
I don't find anything to say...

Oh yes I know, it reads AOL united kingdom in upper left corner, so no surprise for the top three. However, who is the girl under V.Rossi? she doesn't look like current women drivers I know. Is it Michèle Mouton?

Tom

It is indeed, If you click on the links below the pics you'll see the full list.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

vyselegend

Even considering there is some english-bias there, where is Mansell then?

Very strange ranking, to say the least... :roll:

cerebraljl

vyselegend wrote:Even considering there is some english-bias there, where is Mansell then?
actually mansell is on the list. he is ranked 12th

ketanpaul

An extremely stupid ranking............Lewis ahead of Keke, AOL is complete nuts !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm surprised they didnt put Vettel ahead of Senna :lol: :lol:

millerjam
millerjam

Dunno it's interesting to see so many rally drivers up near the sharp end, I suppose a long forgotten class, due to the poor media coverage it gets now.
And from the Race of Champions results I'm not sure that some rally drivers wouldn't be the best "drivers" of all time, they're probably a lot more versatile than many F1 drivers, if you consider the process of driving fast anywhere and not driving fast around a race track.

I want to know where Jacky Ickx and Derek Bell are...

A pretty contoversial list, but thought provoking none the less...

pyry
pyry

i read some of the explanations, and it seems they have been ranked upon the subjective opinion of the listmaker conserning mainly how hard they worked...
four rings to rule them all

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Definitely a personal opinion article. But despite the convoluted order, it was nice to see names like Hawthorn, Nuvolari, and Earnhardt mentioned. And some thoughtful inclusions, but all debatable. Sheesh, Michael Schumacher just 24th? And barely beating Martin Brundle? All respect to Mr Brundle, but he ain't no Michael Schumacher.
And Rossi beating out Hailwood? Pish pash.

Tom

I liked the Nuvolari bit too, shows they've done a bit of homework, although
Gilles Villeneuve

Not, as many people believe, the father of Jacques Villeneuve, but actually his uncle.
this is very odd seeing as I found this on Jacques website

Deano_266
Deano_266

but come on does schuey really deserve to be 25th
Schumi the greatest will always live on in our memories

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Oh come on... John Cleland in the top ten, in front of Jimmy Clark and Fernando Alonso... :?

manchild
manchild

Tom wrote:I liked the Nuvolari bit too, shows they've done a bit of homework, although
Gilles Villeneuve

Not, as many people believe, the father of Jacques Villeneuve, but actually his uncle.
this is very odd seeing as I found this on Jacques website
Gilles and Jacques were brothers. Jacques Villeneuve - the 1997 WDC is the son of Gilles. Jacques is name of his uncle - they have same first and last name and his uncle was F1 driver too.

Perhaps I've misunderstood something? :?

Tom

Are you trying to say that Gilles had a brother called Jacques who became a racing driver too, then Gilles had a son called Jacques who also became the 1997 WDC?

AOL is trying to tell us that Jacques, the 1997 WDC, is the nephew of Gilles and not, as most people believe, Gilles' son.