How to make F1 more competitive

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are yoy happy with 2011 regulations????

Poll ended at 06 Oct 2007, 09:56

yes
37%
2007 rules are better
63%

Total votes: 19

HKS

How to make F1 more competitive

the FIA is making many new changes n the coming future.. this is a thread on the ways f1 can be made more competitive and more viewer friendly and not monotonous.. cuz recently f1 has become a bit monotonous....

Ian P.
Ian P.

Loaded Question r What...???

First suggestion .... get rid of Mad Max.
If we look at the things MM has done in the last 5+ years, I think we can see a trend that has directly influenced competitiveness, overtaking and the potential future of F1.....now where to start.....

- Aerodynamics rules virtually eliminate overataking on most tracks. The split rear wing is a ludricous idea that (thankfully) seems to have died. Get back to simple clear rules that put more emphasis on mechanical grip.
- Reductionion in mechanical grip...see above.
- Current engine rules force teams to "manage equipment", of note is the most recent British GP, McLaren turned down the engines to preserve them for the next race. Is this racing or a reliability competition.
- Parc Ferme, nice idea but it effectively ties Qualifying speed to race speed. The cars virtually wind up racing at the same (relative) speed they qualify at. Let the teams configure cars for Qualifying and then change them for Racing. Then we can see some variey in drivers and cars.
- race Day warm-up, with Parc Ferme this is history. I thought the goal was to let the fans see the cars run, not sit statically
- Current Tyre (see I got it right again..) regulations. Strategy is now about minimizing time on the slow tyre. Give the teams 2 or 3 tyres and let them decide what to run and when. The current situation doesn't improve competition. It just messes drivers up ...sometimes.
- Traction control. Lets put the driving back in the hands of the drivers. Nuf said.
- Qualifying on race fuel. Nice idea but all it seems to do is reduce the value of taking Pole (he was on light fuel load...) and literally force all teams to follow the same strategy, depending where they are on the grid. We are now in a situation where it is a BIG DEAL if one team pits 2 laps later than the other. Lets separate qualifying and racing to promote different strategies, not force teams into the same +/- 2 lap strategies and lets make the strategic choices of teams a mystery. Now, everyone knows everyone elses fuel load.

The future... turbo cars and energy recovery... I though the goal was to get F1 closer to road technology. High pressure turbos are not road car compatible and if you want F1 to get insanely expensive, just wait till you see the energy recover schemes that are going to show up.

Thanks for the chance to vent a bit...I feel better already.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

zac510
zac510

It is very competititive, that's why the teams spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get to the top 6.

If you think it is monotonous then this is not the forum for you.

modbaraban
modbaraban

I like the suggestion of Sam Michael to bring back (limited) ground effect. Actually instead of reducing the DF by 50%, just 'move' this 50% of DF under the car, where it's less sensitive to upcoming airflow quality.

If other rules stay the same - we'd get all-lap-long fights for position like in 80s.

mike
mike

i think we should decrease the size of the wings (monza spec wings) and also eliminate as much variation of aero devices.
eg all front wing must only have 2 profiles,
regulate more specific at the sidepod aero devices like size and shape of the side pod shield and the mid wing

make all the cars 1600 mm and 2.7m wheelbase and 4m long to improve follwing of the cars

create a zone at the rear of the car where air is clean (unturbulunt air) for the front wing of up coming car

modbaraban
modbaraban

mike wrote:i think we should decrease the size of the wings (monza spec wings) and also eliminate as much variation of aero devices.
eg all front wing must only have 2 profiles,
regulate more specific at the sidepod aero devices like size and shape of the side pod shield and the mid wing

make all the cars 1600 mm and 2.7m wheelbase and 4m long to improve follwing of the cars

create a zone at the rear of the car where air is clean (unturbulunt air) for the front wing of up coming car
Why won't you just watch A1 GP?!

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

The poll is missing one option : NEITHER :D

zac510
zac510

modbaraban wrote: Why won't you just watch A1 GP?!
That's the most intelligent post you've ever made :)

modbaraban
modbaraban

zac510 wrote:
modbaraban wrote: Why won't you just watch A1 GP?!
That's the most intelligent post you've ever made :)
Is it SO good or just other posts are THAT bad?! :lol:

:?

:) / :twisted: (mark the necessary)

mep

Increase air-resistance of the cars so you get a bigger advantage if you
are in slipstream.
What dou think about this?

Give points for every finish position so that the WCC shows the reall
strengh of the cars/drivers or do you really think that super aguri is
better than honda because they have 2 points and honda none.

Forget about all these engine 2 weekend rules and revs limit and so on.
Let the engines blow up it makes the sport more atractive if
your engine suddenly spits flames and oil and keeps the race open
until to the last lap.

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

are in slipstream.
I think that "increase air resistance" means nothing. What do you mean?

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ogami musashi wrote:
are in slipstream.
I think that "increase air resistance" means nothing. What do you mean?
Well you can do that by increasing air density :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tp
Tp

mep wrote:Forget about all these engine 2 weekend rules and revs limit and so on.
Let the engines blow up it makes the sport more atractive if
your engine suddenly spits flames and oil and keeps the race open
until to the last lap.
I agree with every word.

I despise the 2 race engine rule as well as the rev limit, it does nothing for the spectacle of the sport, or for financial benefit. Anyone 'for' these rules, is either an idiot or Max Mosely, well both amount to the same thing.

Belatti
Belatti

Ian P.:
i agree a lot with you, thewse are my suggestions:

-let grip be divided in mechanical and groud effect, lets return to 2m wide cars (that make them so beautiful, like in the early 90s)
-if you want to reduce costs, then ban all the thousand of aero devices and development
-let qualy be qualy and race be race.... you know that i mean, dont make stupid comments!
-slicks!!!!
-forget about traction control, it sucks!

but....

i like the idea of energy recovery... its like those video games were you push the nitro button and fly over your rival
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

and i almost forget...

it would be nice to see 4 in line, V6, V8, V10 or V12, with or without turbo, depending on displacement... im thinking on the idea of some good cars for some circuits and some good cars for others...

I NEED MORE VARIABILITY!!!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna