F you Bernie! from the USA

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

F you Bernie! from the USA

Well it's official .. there is no USGP in 08. Looks like Silverstone may on the chopping block as well. Kind of makes you wonder why you should care about F1 sometimes ..

I guess this is bad news for Scott Speed too .. he's been doing pretty well lately too.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Bloody shame that. :( I guess he must have something else arranged for 08 in the US?

manchild
manchild

You mean Mosley?

Bernie would support USGP even with no direct profit for him but US organizer can't or won't do it without profit and chances for profit were killed by USGP 2005.

allan
allan

Don't get me wrong, but you cannot blame the guy.
F1 coverage in USA is Shittacular!!! There is absolutely no interest in the sport, even from Americans themselves. I wonder what do they find in Nascar and not in F1 :?

Phoenix

The article talked about the absence of a GP at Indy, not of the US. However, something tells me that this means there will be no USGP at all. :?

West
West

allan wrote:I wonder what do they find in Nascar and not in F1 :?
Americans want to see Americans race. I almost never see Scott Speed on TV until his engine blows or something.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

modbaraban
modbaraban

West wrote:
Americans want to see Americans race.
I wouldn't watch NASCAR even if it gets packed with Ukrainians... like I don't watch tractor racing etc. no matter who would drive those... :roll:

wazojugs

To put it quite bluntly i think americans will never get a sport which they did not invent/ start.

There is an expectance to be entertained and have fanfare where ever possible, sometimes the fanfare is bigger than the sport.

When the football world cup (the one with the spherical ball) was hosted in america 1994 it was asked of FIFA to change the timing of the game to be split into 1/4 instead of 1/2 as they could get more advertising and entertainment on the pitch (cheerleaders to singers). The rest of the world never asks the rules of baseball and basketball to be changed, the sport is embraced for what its is.

There is no acceptance and appreciation of the sport for what it is and it has to be changed so that in can be understood i.e it has to change for america rather than america change to the sport.

Until this understanding happens, F1 will never be succesful over the pond and they will be happy to see cars drive around on ovals. Shame really!

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Overtaking.

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Phoenix wrote:The article talked about the absence of a GP at Indy, not of the US. However, something tells me that this means there will be no USGP at all. :?
That was also the feeling I got from reading the article.

US GP? I'm all for Long Beach,end of conversation :D

ginsu
ginsu

allan wrote:Don't get me wrong, but you cannot blame the guy.
F1 coverage in USA is Shittacular!!! There is absolutely no interest in the sport, even from Americans themselves. I wonder what do they find in Nascar and not in F1 :?
A lot of Americans suffer from poor education, especially down South where NASCAR is most popular. Therefore, it's easy to understand a relatively simple sport like NASCAR and they can easily relate to the big, lumbering V8's that they race there because they've grown up with them everywhere. it doesn't surprise me that NASCAR is popular here.

F1 is definitely more technical, and generally people with better educations in America seem more interested in it.
US GP? I'm all for Long Beach,end of conversation
Personally, I think the main problem with the Indy GP is that most Americans aren't going to get excited that it's at the same track(and almost the same time) as the Indy 500. I think that the Indy Motor Speedway is the WORST place in America to host an F1 race. It may be logical, but it's also a very boring location and track.

Now, if you want to make an exciting USGP, I would say you would want to cater to Americans. For one, make it at night (a must). Then, put it in a glamorous place like Vegas. Make it a street circuit (of course). If you do this, then you get celebrities coming out of the woodwork to watch races, and as usual, if you have celebrities, you have press, and then the majority of celebrity obsessed Americans will suddenly think it's cool. Case in point, Brad Pitt showing up at Laguna Seca (gets a ton of press here), and suddenly MotoGP is on the map.

Also, it would help tremendously to have a decent American driver. Scott Speed is getting better, but I don't think he's doing enough to get a lot of attention.
I love to love Senna.

Jagboy
Jagboy

That makes me sad. Long beach would mean I'd get to see a race, though, so that would be really awesome. I really envy you euro guys sometimes. It's hard having almost nobody to talk to about the sport.

JB

Steven
Owner

BreezyRacer wrote:... I guess this is bad news for Scott Speed too .. he's been doing pretty well lately too.
With all respect but I don't consider Scott Speed a loss to F1 if he wouldn't be there next year. Yes he does his best and doesn't drive badly, but I wouldn't consider him an extra to F1. To me he is like a grey mouse compared to a yellow elephant that Liuzzi is.
Jagboy wrote:That makes me sad. Long beach would mean I'd get to see a race, though, so that would be really awesome. I really envy you euro guys sometimes. It's hard having almost nobody to talk to about the sport.
Don't think that everyone here talks about F1. In Belgium most people are into football and cycling. Those who are watching the races know nothing about it in 99% of the cases and see conspiracy when some car doesn't get off the mark at the start of the race. Yes there may be espionage, but we're not crazy are we ;)

Finally, it's a pity commercially that F1 is no more at Indy, but I think the circuit is nothing special and will never be special. We have to consider that the new GP at Valencia and something in India and Qatar (somewhere in that area) are coming up too!

Ciro Pabón

Of course you know I think ovals have their attractive, but, me aside, well, maybe the track is nothing special, but it has a little history.

Over all, it's not the track, but the venue. For some of us, in America, it's like saying Monaco can be substituted by Cheste. Are you sure? I'm not.

It's like when you take your things out of the house. If "über-executives" like France and Ecclestone couldn't get along to make money, the divorce is completed.

We (we, south americans) always thought that the jokes on the arrogance and the plainness were just that: jokes. Now it turned out that these were not jokes: they really think F1 in America is bad bussiness, in Ecclestone terms. Ecclestone, on his side, seems to imply that there is no market in USA. Funny, when you think NASCAR is the most attended sport in the world.

What can you answer now when americans say that F1 is focusing on the "high-yield" market? (I mean, focusing on the rich-guy-that-can-travel-to-the-other-end-of-the-world-without-giving-it-a-second-thought-because-he-has-a-sh*tload-of-money). Can BMW survive only based on the 7-series market?

It's a sad new.

Instead of pinnacle, F1 can contemplate now Twin Peaks. And you will always wonder which one is higher. Of course, some entrepreneur will think that Indy can be substituted and we will get some sort of caricature of what a GP has to be. What about a track in Oman or Muscate? They still have undeveloped land... :)

EDIT: Speed vs Liuzzi? Undecided, if you ask me.

Code: Select all

Career Comparison
 	 Scott Speed	 Vitantonio Liuzzi
Races  	 27         	 31
Wins   	 0  (0.00%)	  0 (0.00%)
Poles  	 0  (0.00%)	  0 (0.00%)
Podiums	 0  (0.00%)	  0 (0.00%)
Points 	 0          	 2
Retired	10 (37.04%)	 11 (35.48%)

Head2Head Comparison
(27 Races)	 Scott Speed	 Vitantonio Liuzzi
Wins           	 0 (0.00%) 	  0 (0.00%)
Poles          	 0 (0.00%) 	  0 (0.00%)
Podiums        	 0 (0.00%) 	  0 (0.00%)
Points         	 0         	  1
Retired       	 10 (37.04%)	  9 (33.33%)
Finished Higher	11         	12
Finished Higher when both
finished       	 6          	 6
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 13 Jul 2007, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

I really hope F1 breaks apart, like IRL and ChampCar Championship,and leave F1 back to the garagistes,once it is clear that the sports interests not always coincide with the multinational corporations like DaimlerChrysler, FIAT group, Honda, BMW or Renault...

So let them run their own championship, a repetition of the unappealing current F1, and leave F1 to the people who love it for what it once was.