Sébastien Bourdais : ready for F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dedge
dedge

Sébastien Bourdais : ready for F1?

Hye everybody!
I would like to know what do you think of Bourdais : is he ready for F1?
I have this question because I am french, so a little bit "chauvin"! And I would like to have an objective view of him.
So what is your opinion on this driver, who is able to race in Le Mans Series, in Champ Car and F1, being competitive in these 3 categories?

Note : Red Bull seems to impose Vettel in Toro Rosso next year as a titular driver and I am not sure a team can fire his two drivers between the seasons. Moreover, David Coulthard will hace a seat on the Red Bull next year. So where Sebastien Bourdais will be next year?

Scuderia_Russ

I'll be very interested to see what he can do in an F1 car. He's had Champ Cars sewn up for a while now.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

dumrick
dumrick

For sure Sébastian is a talented driver and it would be interesting to see what he could do driving a F1.
It would be also very "fresh" to see him get an oportunity with his age and career. Most similar cases end up in very talented people never getting a chance...

Militia Est Vita

Well he is a 3 time champ car champion so he has to have talent, lots, plus he is IMO one of the guys that really shows interest in becoming an F1 even though he is very successfull in his own series. It would be really exciting to see him getting a seat next year. I would love to see him driving at some point for Renault instead of Toro Rosso though but Oh well. that's quite impossible :D
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

joseff

Williams should have an open seat for next year. Their only other options are Piquet, Nakajima, and Senna, all too green.

Although Frank and the sponsors would probably love a Piquet/Rosberg pair :)

Giblet
Giblet

If Scott Speed is ready for F1, Seb surely is.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Giblet wrote:If Scott Speed is ready for F1, Seb surely is.
Scott is doing quite well lately :wink:

Giblet
Giblet

Was Seb faster in the car in his first test then SS and TL?

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

I'd say Bourdais would be better than half the grid in a decent car.

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

Bourdais has certainly the talent to be in F1,and I hope he does succeed in this category, provided that he doesn't get stuck with Toro Rosso after one or two seasons and manages to find a more competitive seat elsewhere.

waynes
waynes

he's got to be better that michael andretti who was quite frankly bobbins

kurtiejjj
kurtiejjj

NO!

vyselegend

In some old thread I won't try to find back, I quoted Briatore saying "If S.Bourdais isn't in F1, there have to be a reason" (not an exact quote but that was it).
In this weeks "autohebdo" mag, there's a little phrase that retained my attention. It says there's some insight rumors from STR that Bourdais candidature is raising as much disfavor as favor.

Obviously he's a talented driver, but there seems to be some hidding problems with him. Maybe he has some insisting sponsors travelling with him (Mac Donald anyone?), or, more possibly, he has some financial prerequisite and/or goals that doesn't fit with Scuderia Torro Rosso's ambitions.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Bordai has made a lot of mistakes this year .. if he's going F1 he better get his head straightened out ..

F1 Observer
F1 Observer

The guy has rewritten and set dozens of ChampCar records. Of course he is F1 material, no doubts in my mind about that.

And I feel he will do better than the last great US series star that came to F1, Cristiano da Matta.

The only thing I fear about Bourdais is that he might get stuck in back of the pack teams like Toro Rosso, Super Aguri or Spyker (although I think they will soon fold), and doesn't find a more fitting seat to his talent.In other words,I don't know if he will progress in F1, not due to lack of talent but due to lack of opportunities.

Furthermore,it's important to have a frenchman in F1.They're a country with a long tradition of F1, and ever since Panis there have been no frenchmen in F1.