AS: Alonso so unhappy he wants to change team?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
checkered

AS: Alonso so unhappy he wants to change team?

"He's an unhappy driver in his current team", writes one

of Spain's premier sports magazines. I've gotten used to juggling different perspectives to F1 according to the origin of the news, but reporting that Alonso wants to leave McLaren - period - I haven't come across anywhere else, nor has the suggestion been so clear to date in Spanish media either.

There's the reference to how Alonso gave the cold sholder treatment to Dennis on Nürnburgring's podium, a "revenge" for the perceived contemptuous attitude shown by the team at Monaco. The theme of the "injust" equality between the drivers is continued, how the enthusiasm of the Brit team favours Hamilton under the circumstances, portrayed as a mostly inferior driver to the Asturian.

The specter of a Ferrari resurgence is raised, and the supposed indifference to the threat McLaren shows by the team's current general no-favoritism attitude towards its drivers. Only by the genius of the driver in car no. 1 was Ferrari kept at bay at Silverstone, but the reporter certainly paints a picture in which Alonso faces this great threat forlorn, almost alone.

Ferrari, BMW, Renault and Toyota, one and all, are supposed to be interested to free the champion from his current contract, tempting Alonso with all they've got to offer. At the end of the season, all will be clear. Fernando's change of heart isn't supposed to have come easily, but neither did he expect that a light fixture would damage his car in Bahrain or that he would be denied to fight to the finish at Indianapolis.

The suggestion about Hamilton benefiting from Alonso's data disproportionately is also restated, and supposedly while in North America, Fernando learned his lesson not to share any more. A situation that doesn't benefit anyone, but a sad necessity. In Hungaroring, the qualification is decisive and Alonso's statistics are raised to support the point that there he will reclaim his position in the championship standings.

And so, celebrating his 26th birthday at Oviedo before going off to fight another day in Hungary, Alonso is reported to have wished for two things: a third consecutive WDC and to be able to leave the team he's so unhappy at after this season already.

There are no direct quotes from Alonso in the article though. So, what's it all about ... intent clearly stated, or a political effort to wrestle a favoured position within his team once and for all? Or something else?

The original article here.

TeamPrincipal
TeamPrincipal

My opinion is that, for me, if Alonso leaves McLaren, it will be very bad to the team. Next year TC will be banned, and we need someone with experience to overcome this.

FLC
FLC

You don't really need to hear him say anything. You said yourself, what he did with that move towards the pit wall in the USA and the way he treated RD when parking his car and on the podium at the Nurburgring says it all quite clearly.

RH1300S
RH1300S

TeamPrincipal wrote:My opinion is that, for me, if Alonso leaves McLaren, it will be very bad to the team. Next year TC will be banned, and we need someone with experience to overcome this.
How many current drivers have experience without TC?

You need someone with a sensitive right foot...........

waynes
waynes

that article is all rubbish

KIMI the best
KIMI the best

I don't really think Alonso wants to change team, because now the Mclaren MP4-22 is the best car joined by the F2007. And if Alonso wants to change team, to what team?? Ferrari is not now an option, BMW is not so competitive for the title, and return to Renault is risky and uncompetitive.

modbaraban
modbaraban

RH1300S wrote:
TeamPrincipal wrote:My opinion is that, for me, if Alonso leaves McLaren, it will be very bad to the team. Next year TC will be banned, and we need someone with experience to overcome this.
How many current drivers have experience without TC?
Hamilton did las year... as many others :roll:

FLC
FLC

I think he meant that they don't have experience with driving F1 cars with no TC. They obviously all have driven cars with no TC before.

I personally don't think that we are going to see anything outstanding. The drivers will prob. have to adopt during the winter tests period, and they will prob. also complain a bit about how they had to change their driving style, as we've seen and herd when they all had to use the new Bridgestone tires this year.
Other than that, I think we will see some of them make crucial mistakes come qualifying or race pressuring moments. Which should be good for us.

pRo

RH1300S wrote:How many current drivers have experience without TC?
Apparently most of them. Kovalainen said that they tested the cars without TC a while ago and most others teams were doing the same. IIRC, it was in Silverstone.

I know you meant in race conditions though.

About the move. Where would he go? Apparently Ferrari are happy with their drivers, or at least they keep saying so. But lets say they let Massa go and Alonso went there with Kimi, who would have good experience on the car by then. I can't see Ferrari making Alonso #1 and it surely wouldn't be easy for him to do it on track either.

Back to Renault? Who knows, it might be a good choice for next season, if they get their package back together. I'm sure most teams would welcome him, but I can't see why he would have much interest towards teams that have no real chance to fight for the titles.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Tom

Mclaren are spending so much time fighting amongst themselves that the red devils are sneaking up on them! I think it would be a bad choice to leave Mclaren, F1 drivers are very highly strung and alot of Alonso's problem is parranoia, but when things start to go his way he'll be in a better state of mind to decide what to do, the problem Alonso has (similar to Hamilton's) is that the Spanish press are very much behind him, so when he doesn't do well it must be the team thats letting him down, the Brit papers did the same with Hamilton in Monaco.

As for TC, think experience, really the only drivers who've truly driven without TC in race conditions, you're looking at DC, Rubens, Fisi, and really thats about it. Particularely the first 2 have driven half their career without it so they'll be in a strong position.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Tom wrote:As for TC, think experience, really the only drivers who've truly driven without TC in race conditions, you're looking at DC, Rubens, Fisi, and really thats about it...
...Sato and Yamamoto.

Sato claimed that their SA05/06 (or should I say A23?) didn't have TC.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

waynes wrote:that article is all rubbish
I agree.

Why would he leave his current team after just 10 or so races completed? There are still seven races to go. Many things will happen, few of which could change the very direction of this championship battle between drivers and manufacturers.

Just because the media states something doesn't make it automatically true, we should all know that by now. Fernando is not going anywhere, he will be WC for the third consecutive year if Ferrari doesnt step up its game (including drivers and technical aspects).

Regarding next season w/o TC. This is F1, all drivers will surely be able to get used to not driving with it during winter testing. I would exclude Ralph from that, but I'm sorry to say he won't be here next year, as a driver :wink: . He might get promoted to "Toyota F1 Team Consultant".
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

m3_lover

I do not see any other major f1 news organizations running this story...I.E Autosport or even Grand Prix.com so I got to conclude that this story was to sell papers.( I did not bother to read it though because it just sounds so absurd. It's stories like this that brings on so much gossip which is even more magnified on the internet)
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

johny

forget everything about as. It's all about yellow press, and making readers think that alonso is god, ferrari are cheaters and everyone else is crap. Specially there's a "journalist" called Carlos Miquel that writes like a crazy groupie

checkered

Johny, actually that

article is written by Carlos Miquel! And yes, the content struck me as somewhat extreme so I wanted to hear opinions besides my own (bewilderment) on the subject. Which Spanish writer/website/magazine etc. would you recommend following, regarding motorsports? I know there must be many reporters with very good contacts now, with Alonso, two GPs and a lot of rising stars. Would you rate Marca higher than AS, or perhaps the sports section in a general media like El Mundo?