AS: Alonso so unhappy he wants to change team?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Militia Est Vita

Ciro, many thanks for the driver contract list so far 'compadre' it will be interesting how the scramble will come out if Alonso decides t leave, which IMO will happen. I think that Dennis will support Hamilton at the end if he has to make a choice.
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

Principessa

Indeed Militia, Ron Dennis might be furious at Hamilton now, but he'll pick him if he needs too. Had him under his wings too long!

I have to say that I really see a bad thing in Hamilton's father. I really believe that neglecting team orders was part of Hamilton Sr.'s influence. He NEVER leaves Lewis' side...it can't be healty. During press conference of McLaren too, Sr. showed Hamilton if he could speak or not as he was standing next to the cameracrews.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Principessa wrote:During press conference of McLaren too, Sr. showed Hamilton if he could speak or not as he was standing next to the cameracrews.
Have you seen that? (where?)
That's a rather unexpected turn for me :o :)

Principessa

modbaraban wrote:Have you seen that? (where?)
On the RTBF (Walloon Television) they showed it. There camera was in the right angle to see and you could see Hamilton Sr. making gestures to Lewis when he was holding to mic during the special press conference on which he appeared late!

modbaraban
modbaraban

:lol: :lol: :lol: After putting "hamilton" in the U-tube search I was rewarded with this - READ THE TITLE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Alonso going to Renault isnt so unlikely. If he does, its more likely that he brings with him Spanish sponsors like Santander. I'm sure that McLaren will be able to find English substitutes, but Alonso's sponsorship money would potentially be a boon for Renault R&D. Vodafone might even go too, I would guess though depending on who wins the WC.

Of course this all depends on contract length, I don't know if sponsor contracts are multi- or single-year. But I'm guessing itd be a significant effect

Militia Est Vita

Correct me if I'm worng but I think Vodafone has a contract with McLaren for 7 years or so now. I'm sure as you mentioned that Santander was there manily because Alonso and De la Rosa, same as Mutua Madrileña. He MUST attract new sponsors to Renault if he wants to have a race winning car if he lands there :P
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

PNSD
PNSD

Santander are english I beleive.

Their adverts only feature Lewis. And also Abbey is an english bank.

Militia Est Vita

Well so it seems it is all starting to come to an end:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 211563.ece

:roll:

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Santander is headquartered in Santander, Spain. Abbey is an English bank, they were purchased by Santander in 2004, acc. to Wikipedia. I dunno about the Hamilton ads, I don't get UK tv. But it would certainly make sense to associate any brand with the most prominent national driver when advertising to that country.

D
D

I personally would love to see Fernando & Kimi fight it out at Ferrari. Two contrasting personalities but both very good drivers. But, I will be very surprised if it ever happens.

I also don't reckon Ron would ever let Lewis go; Ron has commited too much resources to mould the kid into the brilliant driver that he is today and he's not about to let any other teams (esp. Ferrari) to nip in and race Lewis against Mclaren. So in that respect, Fernando was always fighting a losing battle to be honest. Therefore, I reckon he won't be honouring all 3 years of his contract and probably go back to Renault. Or Ferrari (fingers crossed). :wink:
Thank you for reading.

allan
allan

hell no man! :D
Alonso to Ferrari??? Manchild won't shut up then!!! (just kidding :P )
I really don't know what to say about Alonso.... it's normal for him to complain after each race, but i've never expected him to give up the battle against Hamilton so quickly!!!

countersteer
countersteer

It was my understanding that it was a policy of McLaren to NOT contract their drivers for more than a year at a time. I understood that Mika and DC completed their years with the team one year at a time on contract. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is the case, wouldn't it be highly unusual for Ron to sign two new drivers to the team for multiple year contracts? Yes, Lewis is a "project" but still...

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

countersteer wrote:It was my understanding that it was a policy of McLaren to NOT contract their drivers for more than a year at a time. I understood that Mika and DC completed their years with the team one year at a time on contract. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If this is the case, wouldn't it be highly unusual for Ron to sign two new drivers to the team for multiple year contracts? Yes, Lewis is a "project" but still...
It seems to me that Dennis was too optimistic at the time of the contract signings. He believed he would have two very talented drivers in good cars, he didn't have a clue as to what would be the outcome of his decisions.

No one expected Hamilton to have such good results in his rookie season. Alonso was expected to "guide" Hamilton and teach him the ropes.

Besides, I never thought of Alonso as a McLaren kind of person, he actually has a decent personality. And his crazy hair and attitude needs a more liberal team, Renault provided that for him back in the day. I hope he doesn't leave McLaren, giving up so soon isnt a good quality in anyone.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

modbaraban
modbaraban

captainmorgan wrote:I'm sure that McLaren will be able to find English substitutes
I wonder if he'd rather goes with another rookie (Di Grassi?) or with an experienced driver (Davidson, Button :shock: )... any chance for Paffet?