Damon Hill Returns To F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
waynes
waynes

Damon Hill Returns To F1

ahhh got you all
Britain’s last Formula 1 world champion Damon Hill will take to the commentary box this weekend when he joins ITV Sport’s James Allen as co-commentator for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The 1996 world title winner is stepping into Martin Brundle’s shoes alongside James while Martin is away on holiday.

Hill will be providing expert comment and analysis during ITV Sport’s live coverage of the qualifying and race action from the Hungaroring.

“It’s a real pleasure to have Damon Hill in the commentary box with James Allen whilst Martin is away on holiday,” said Gerard Lane, editor of ITV’s F1 coverage.

“As a former world champion it will be fantastic to hear what he has to say in a season where there is a British driver leading the championship.”

The 22-time grand prix winner will be returning to the scene of some of the most memorable performances of his 115-race F1 career.

He took his first grand prix win at the circuit for Williams in 1993 and followed it up with another victory two years later.

And he came tantalisingly close to pulling off a stunning upset in 1997, when a heartbreakingly late hydraulic problem robbed him of victory for the unfancied Arrows team after an inspired drive.

His impressive record there also boasted four further points-scoring finishes.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40217
:D

pRo

Re: Damon Hill Returns To F1

waynes wrote:ahhh got you all
Damn you! :D I thought he's going to drive an old car as a show. Always enjoy seeing those. 8)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Scuderia_Russ

Looking forward to it, he's a good bloke!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

waynes
waynes

Re: Damon Hill Returns To F1

pRo wrote: Damn you!
please forgive me, i was in a joking mood :D

it will be interesting to hear him giving an insight into F1, although i fear he may assist James Allen in the bi-weekly Hamilton/ITV wankathon

Belatti
Belatti

Scuderia_Russ, I must say that I cant stop loving your avatar picture, each time I see it, it makes me laugh!!! :D :D :D
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Always interesting to have a different ex-F1 driver as a commentator. I guess Brundle doesn't like Hungary too much as he missed the race last year (Davidson was his replacement).

On the subject of Damon Hill being back in a formula 1 car, he did a couple of laps in the Abbey/Santander 2 seater at Silverstone before the grand prix, no where near the limit mind you but still a great experience for the guy in the passenger seat!

Scuderia_Russ

Belatti wrote:Scuderia_Russ, I must say that I cant stop loving your avatar picture, each time I see it, it makes me laugh!!! :D :D :D
I was thinking about chnging it but seeing as it is geting so much lovin' I'll leave it for a few weeks. :D Cheers.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Tom

I guess Brundle doesn't like Hungary too much as he missed the race last year (Davidson was his replacement).
He had a bad race their in '94...
On the last lap Brundle's engine stopped. Verstappen, who had just been lapped by race leader and team mate Michael Schumacher, was allowed to overtake Schumacher and undo the lap, giving him the extra lap needed to pass Brundle and finish in third, becoming the first Dutchman ever on the podium of a Formula One Grand Prix. Brundle was classified fourth...
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

jamsbong
jamsbong

How did you guys find Damon Hill's commentating? I think he is great! a bit inexperience but he really honest and humble.

I often find it annoying to listen to James Allen and Murray Walker because they just talk rubbish. I know they don't have much info on technical part of the game but they can give us insights on F1 history and well-known records. I know Michael has taken up a lot of records in recent times, but he has never taken all. example, Alonso is the youngest double world champion.

There is plenty of story to tell, other than to rave and repeat.

I like to have Hill + Brundle together and commentate. I don't always like those aggressive, over ex-claiming type journalist with a motive of making news and gossips with little or no regards to drivers and team's privacy.

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Not sure when the last time we had Murrary Walker commentating was!

I thought Damon did a good job, and I quickly got used to his voice instead of Martin Brundles.

I think the idea is to have one guy who can commentate and then one guy who has a good technical insight into F1 (ie. Brundle)

waynes
waynes

Steve Wilson wrote:Not sure when the last time we had Murrary Walker commentating was!
he commentated on Radio 5 Live not long ago mate, cant remember what race

and i think Damon has a sexier voice than Brundle, no question about that
jamsbong wrote:How did you guys find Damon Hill's commentating? I think he is great! a bit inexperience but he really honest and humble.

I often find it annoying to listen to James Allen and Murray Walker because they just talk rubbish.
2 things mate,

fully agree about damon

cannot agree about Murray Walker though, he's a legend. i wish james allen would take a leaf out of his book. hate him with a passion, hence why sadly im finding myself watching F1 on Speedtv via the net

modbaraban
modbaraban

Yeah, Allen is really annoying. And Walker was commentating the British GP on Radio 5 and the Australian GP on ITV (I think) before that and it was classic, I mean there's nothing to be compared to that "Go-Go-Go!" :lol:

To me the best pair of commentators would be Walker+Brundle. Haven't heard Damon yet.

Steve Wilson
Steve Wilson

Well it did used to be Brundle and Walker before Murray decided to retire, and it did seem to work very well.

bhall
bhall

I admit this is off-topic, but it's decently close to the discussion.

Why are they called commentators when there's no such thing as commentating?

waynes
waynes

bhallg2k wrote: Why are they called commentators when there's no such thing as commentating?
so in football John motson is some random fella talking into a microphone when paul scholes scores a screamer at villa park?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gr_CfL_oMs