Hamilton not SO great!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
KIMI the best

Hamilton not SO great!

I don't think Hamilton is one of the best drivers of all times, he is good and has talent, but if you compare with other great drivers he hasn't done any good overtake or fight for the top, he simply stays where he started the race and advances positions if only someone in front of him has abandoned. He remembers me Alonso's 2005 title, the only thing he made was: wait for Kimi's MP4-20 to fail and then arrive first. The only great thing Alonso made that year was the overtake to Schumi at the 130r in Susuka.

Hamilton is now in the best team and if he has no problems during the race the worst place he can arrive is fourth behind Alonso and the Ferraris.

All people have been impresed by Hamilton because they now that he is rookie but imagine he is not a rookie, he would be criticised because he doesn't take risks.

I have no doubt that Hamilton is a good driver but he is not SO great.

CMK

nae
nae

how can you possibly tell

he needs at least 10 years at it to be comparable with the greats

that and the future formula 1 is in no way representative of past formula 1

he is just an annoying kid at the moment and may or may not mature into a great ( ill watch and see and let you know in 2015)

manchild

Up till now Hamilton was simply brilliant. In the first half of his rookie season he has been on podium more times and won more races than Fisichella in two seasons in a car that won WDC and WCC two times in a row. His maturity in driving is simply stunning. He makes no mistakes and has no idea what pressure is.

MMUK

manchild wrote: In the first half of his rookie season he has been on podium more times and won more races than Fisichella in two seasons in a car that won WDC and WCC two times in a row.
excellent point

Tom

On my cycle/bus ride to work I now see Hamilton or a Mclaren guy on a billboard at least 5 times, people are proud to walk round town wearing Ferrari/Renaut/Mclaren gear (even some BAR!) without being called sad gits and anorachs. This is not beacuse its the closest championship season since 1986, nor is it because some big ego German has hooked up his helmet and suddenly made the sport accesible to the masses, this is because we finally have the perfect British hero! He doesn't whine like Mansell, he's modest and humble unlike Hunt, yet he's a great personality to the sponsors and fans, unlike shy sheep farmer Jimmy Clark. He's an underdog too, his dad had 3 jobs to get him where he is today, and most of all he just goes out there and performs every single time.

In all of sport I have never heard of a guy quite like Lewis, it will be many years before he proves if he's the best driver, team player or sportsman F1 has ever seen, but he has brung an entire nation into a sport which was previously considered dull and uninteresting and proved to them that it can all be different, you can lead the championship in your first season, you can win races if you'r not driving a Ferrari and you can be an F1 fan and still cool!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

waynes

Tom wrote:people are proud to walk round town wearing (even some BAR!) !
oi, thats probably me :D :D

modbaraban

Tom wrote:He's an underdog too, his dad had 3 jobs to get him where he is today, and most of all he just goes out there and performs every single time.
The working class hero is chillinig in St. Tropez as we talk. :lol:

Tom

exactly, a working class hero who has reached the top, everybody's dream scanario.
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

manchild wrote:He makes no mistakes and has no idea what pressure is.
That isn't completely true. Remember Monaco. He accused McLaren of letting Alonso win, but he kissed the barriers 2 to 3 times and lost time with that. He's only human...he makes mistakes. For the rest I agree with Manchild.

zac510

What a surprise, someone called 'Kimi the best' thinks Hamilton's not so good!

PNSD

zac510 wrote:What a surprise, someone called 'Kimi the best' thinks Hamilton's not so good!
Lol, was supprised no-one made a comment on this earlier :P

zender05

Re: Hamilton not SO great!

KIMI the best wrote: if you compare with other great drivers he hasn't done any good overtake or fight for the top
Hmm? Kimi is my favorite driver...and I don't recall him doing much, if any, serious passing this entire season. Lewis is outstanding. He's got flaws, but so does everybody else.
Jesus loves ya!

wazojugs

Yes he is doing great since he is driving a mclaren which has always been a front running team and all of his wins have come from the 2 x WDC setting his car up for him.

easy pickings, lets see how long it lasts.

Tom

I've been reading the autobiography of Alain Prost (unfortunetly it only goes up to the start of 1988) and he stated that in the 1987 season he always set the car up for Ayrton Senna, and they got along quite well. Some people (Dave I bet) will recall that, even though only the 11 best results counted towards the championship that year, the Mclaren's won 15/16 that season. Ayrton won although Prost scored more points overall.

Now the same team is in a freakishly similar position, with the winner of the last 2 world championships battling with a team newcomer. In 1987 Ayrton had a good relationship with Honda, suppliers of the engine, while Ron was trying to keep the drivers equal, like he is now. However Senna upset Prost at Estoril by trying to squeeze the Frenchman into the pit wall in an effort not to be overtaken and soon the journalists got wind of the friction, needless to say exactly the row ensued as we have now, except Prost did exactly the right thing and told Ron what he thought before he spoke to the press. Had Fernando or Lewis done this along this season then we would not be discussing this topic.

Its nothing new, in fact its all just a little bit of History Repeating!
(10pts for knowing the singer without using the internet!)

EDIT: Of course Belatti is completely right, I meant to say the 1988 season, Alain's autobiography only goes up to preseason 1989! :oops:
Last edited by Tom on 16 Aug 2007, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Belatti

[quote="Tom"]I've been reading the autobiography of Alain Prost (unfortunetly it only goes up to the start of 1988) and he stated that in the 1987 season he always set the car up for Ayrton Senna, and they got along quite well. Some people (Dave I bet) will recall that, even though only the 11 best results counted towards the championship that year, the Mclaren's won 15/16 that season. Ayrton won although Prost scored more points overall...
quote]

I think you are only one year wrong!! :D
About the rest... I totally agree with you Tom!!!

PS: Mr. Prost, you set up the car for Ayrton and he was always quicker than you... shame un you! :oops: .... jajajajaja 8) :twisted: :shock: 8)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna