Steering Lock

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Steering Lock

Hi there,

Firstly, it's great to finally get around to registering on this forum, I regularly check the posts on here to keep up to speed, as well as broaden my technical understanding of F1, and thoroughly enjoy doing so!

Does anyone happen to know the steering lock settings used on 06/07 generation F1 cars? I'm under the impression that this setting changes depending on the circuit, eg. Monaco has higher lock given the tight angles of the track.

The reason I ask is beacuse I've just purchasesd a Logitech G25 wheel and i'm trying to replicate the settings used for real F1 cars in rFactor. I'm using ISI's BMW Sauber 07 and it defaults to '16' (i'm not sure what measurment this is in).

If you have the time, I have a couple of further questions regarding setup:

1) Teams drop the engine RPM by some degree for races to counter the risk of engine faliure, but can anyone tell me how much in relation to Qualifying? I've heard it's about 200rpm.

2) Do teams have control over the overall brake pressure on a car, and if so, in a percentage, what is a general setting for brake pressure at the start of a GP?

Also, if anyone uses a wheel+rFactor and want to give me any setup tips i'd greatly appreciate it. :D

naknak_56

I wouldn't have thought that real life would have that much bearing on your set up, I used to league race GT-R and the required lock for that game witch is based around the same engine if i remember correctly was 6 degrees....
but this will all depend on your wheel and how its set up and personal preference.
Good luck with the game :D
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Venom

Re: Steering Lock

658 wrote: 1) Teams drop the engine RPM by some degree for races to counter the risk of engine faliure, but can anyone tell me how much in relation to Qualifying? I've heard it's about 200rpm.

2) Do teams have control over the overall brake pressure on a car, and if so, in a percentage, what is a general setting for brake pressure at the start of a GP?
1. It's important that you set a gear ratios against rpm and top speed properly. You shouldn't really be hitting "red line" too much at the top gear.

2. Shouldn't go over 95% because brakes tend to fail after a while - speaking from experience. Unless you are a veteran, you won't feel too much difference in little pressure, but belive me you will go mad if your brakes fail at 60th lap or so and you're really having a good race :)
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

modbaraban

As for the actual steering wheel rotation, I always use 360 deg. with G25 for F1.

PS: Welcome to the best F1 forum :D