How to get a job with an F1 team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW 21
FW 21

Dont be discouraged.

You dont have to be massively qualified to get in to F1, Its a myth.

Sure it helps, but take this for example.

A guy who left school with below average grades, got a job sweeping the floor for a race team, then got the chance to learn composites and now works at the races.

Its not always what you know, but who you know!

I never dreamed I would ever get the chance to do anything like that when I left school, but within 8 years of sweeping the floor that first day, I found myself at the track.

Write letters to teams, it cant hurt!

If you do nothing, you will never get the chance.

Good luck, and dont give up the hope. (you never know)

F1Special
F1Special

My best friends brother is in F1. Years ago he wrote to Frank asking for any job. Frank initially turned him down. Then after six months a letter arrived from Frank offering him a position on the test team; basically clicking a stop watch on and off. The money was pretty reasonable for the work, but he turned it down. Instead he went off to Germany where he worked as a mechanic in German Touring cars. After some successful seasons he wrote to Frank again. Tis time Frank offered him a job as a mechanic. Now, after (I think) 7 years he has made it to Chief mechanic.

This person has no formal qualifications as such, his father drives historic F1 cars and was disappointed his son, as a child, didn't show much interest in following suit. His interest didn't spark until he was about 18/19.

Whilst many may be jealous of his position, I have to say its not much of a life; certainly not as glamorous as people think. He is married with one child and doesn't get to see very much of them.

My own father worked in F1, pretty much for his entire career and my mum couldn't cope with the lifestyle; they divorced when I was only 2 years old!

But hey, F1 is a passion for me and many, if its what you want I think you need to get some experience in any form of motorsport and with a bit of luck, and success, you may well get a post.

Good luck.

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Another alternative would be to work for a technical sponsor. I work for an oil company (Shell) and know the former head of the F1 R&D section within Shell Research. He was in charge of the fuels and lubricants development for the Ferrari F1 activity and spent lots of time working in direct contact with Ferrari.

The Ferrari engines for the forthcoming season spend lots of time in the Shell Labs prior to the season to ascertain their preference for fuels and lubes... Thereafter there is a Shell mobile lab that goes to the race meetings to analyse the lubes between runs to ensure that any component failure can be detected before it fails.

Interestingly at a certain moment Ferrari had some concerns that Shell might have a better overall knowledge of the car than any individual (other than to the designer team at the time), because Shell was involved in development of lubes & fuel, coolant for the engine and the entire drive train, steering & hydraulic system - whilst Ferrari employees only concentrate on their own area.

To get a job in an oil company research facility you'll need a good degree from a good university, then some luck in getting into the right area of the research programme.

Good luck
Mike