Prodrive out??

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
naknak_56

Prodrive out??

Looks like the debate over Prodrive's entry was unnecessary http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63182

Maybe something to to do with the new concorde agreement? what ever its made my day!!! :D
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

Ian P.
Ian P.

Opportunity Cost...

Most unfortunate.
I had expected that D. Richards was looking forward to trying to win the Manufacturer's Championship in a McLaren.
What are the chances that R. D. would sign a deal with Prodrive to supply cars and engines (yes I know these would be from N.H.) in at least partial exchange for half of the Manufacturer's winnings in 2008....??
Think of it as McLaren effectively having a B-Team on hand that can double the PR opportunities, double the chances of beating Ferrari and scoring Manufacturer's points when McLaren can't...??
Could also be a really good way to keep Alonso away from a competing tream and take advantage of his talent. Imagine him teamed up with Wurtz or Pedro.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

Scuderia_Russ

Richards and Dennis are similar type characters and thus the companies underneath them are very similar so this news is a bit of a surprise to me. I have no doubt that Richards could put together a successful F1 team and could move up the grid quickly. Who he will do it with now though I have no idea.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

checkered

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Richards and Dennis are similar type characters and thus the companies underneath them are very similar so this news is a bit of a surprise to me. I have no doubt that Richards could put together a successful F1 team and could move up the grid quickly. Who he will do it with now though I have no idea.
It was written

somewhere that Richards was originally talking to three manufacturers. When and to whom, I've got no idea. Mixed feelings about this, since while I really dislike the customer chassis idea, still I'd like to see Prodrive make a go of it solely based on Richards' previous record and the company's talent base. Wasn't it once reported that there was a suggested compromise to the whole customer debacle, something along the lines of allowing a customer chassis only for a team's first year in F1? Might've just been my wishful thinking, wouldn't make much sense anyhow.

There will be takers aplenty if Prodrive decides they can't make it to grid by the start of next season and looking at the likes of Super Aguri, who knows what feats we'll see against seemingly impossible odds by imaginative upstarts. But I think the news about Prodrive F1's demise are a bit premature at this stage. It's all very complicated and I doubt very many people will get what they want out of all these actions and counteractions.

ss_collins
ss_collins

only way in is to buy the old minardi...

axle
axle

I want to see more cars on the track...but not as customer cars.

What would the people in the know think to them being able to purchase ONCE the BP's for the chassis of their choice and then be left to develop from there? Would that appease enough people? Would it be workable?
- Axle

Scuderia_Russ

ss_collins wrote:only way in is to buy the old minardi...
I know where fifteen of them reside in a unit in Silverstone!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Tom

I didn't think Minardi ever had 15 cars assembled at any point during their GP career!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Tom wrote:I didn't think Minardi ever had 15 cars assembled at any point during their GP career!
I bet those were built within 10 years :lol:

checkered

Ecclestone doubts Prodrive will be in F1 - Autosport, link
Bernie Ecclestone, Autosport wrote:I have no idea. I think they have decided to give up, haven't they? I think they have. They were all excited about coming in and it is a pity for them.

The teams say that the real constructors are spending half a billion (US dollars) a year and Prodrive's budget was about 75 million. It is not fair.

I should think there will be 11 teams next year. (For 2009) let's see who the 12th is, it is open. Let's have a look and see. I would like to see another manufacturer coming in. There is one or two sort of having a look.

pnagy
pnagy

Did they have to pay the FIA the 48 million dollar bond to reserve the spot after they were selected?

checkered

McLaren leave the door open for Prodrive - link, Autosport
Ron Dennis, Autosport wrote:The contract was completely agreed. Two issues did occur, but one was easily resolvable and related to guarantees.

But there was a stumbling block in wanting absolute clarity to get validity to enter as customer McLarens. It was something that was out of our hands.

We were supportive of the programme - if it does get resolved, they can come back to us and we can pick up from where we left off. Certainly, we were in a comfortable place.