Alonso shown Renault plans for 2008?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wrk

Alonso shown Renault plans for 2008?

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/article/1192004100/formula_one/F1gossip/Alonso-shown-Renault-plans-/view.html wrote:Oct.10 (GMM) Fernando Alonso in Japan two weeks ago was shown details of Renault's plans to return to the world title in 2008 and beyond -- including detailed information about next year's R28 single seater, according to reports.

Spanish sources including the magazine Autopista says the 26-year-old reigning world champion met with Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds on the Saturday at Fuji Speedway, where they discussed a possible two or three-year contract starting in 2008.

It is believed that Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn is reluctant to enter a one-year arrangement with Alonso, after which he would be free to switch to Ferrari or another top rival for 2009.

Autopista said Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad also attended the half-hour meeting, and later with the McLaren driver's wife Raquel they followed the track action from the comfort of Renault's hospitality area.

The magazine claimed that Alonso's teammate would not be Giancarlo Fisichella, as in 2005 and 2006, because the Roman may be moving to Williams to fill the seat vacated by Nico Rosberg, who is first in line to replace Alonso at Woking based McLaren.

In contention to become Alonso's teammate, then, are incumbent Heikki Kovalainen and current Renault test driver Nelson Piquet Jr.
gentlemen start your engines......

Scuderia_Russ

Hamilton vs. Rosberg without a whinging Spaniard! My mouth is watering at the prosoect!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Rob W

Isn't looking at another team's plans, even if offered, breaking the driver's code of conduct - not mention potentially the sharing of technical information which is against the sport's rules?

Rob W

Giblet

Is sharing information against the rules? I don't think so. Stealing it is however.

Toyota and Willams do it all the time, as do RBR amd Renault, Honda and SA, and Ferarri/Spyker/STR.

Rob W

Giblet wrote:Is sharing information against the rules? I don't think so. Stealing it is however.

Toyota and Willams do it all the time, as do RBR amd Renault, Honda and SA, and Ferarri/Spyker/STR.
Engine supply is totally different and catered for in the regulations.

Agreeing to view a team's plans while under contract to another team is surely a no-no. The line is there - otherwise two technical staff could be at lunch and show their plans to each other. How far would it have to go to before it became 'illegal'?..

The answer is: nowhere - it is not allowed.

R

HKS

Oh if Fernando would be back in Renault then What about Piquet Jr? When would he be given a chance?
When Fernando or Heikki leave or retire?? :(

allan

Rob W wrote:Isn't looking at another team's plans, even if offered, breaking the driver's code of conduct - not mention potentially the sharing of technical information which is against the sport's rules?

Rob W
I think Fernando gained some experience now.... he did it with ferrari before and now renault :mrgreen:

Militia Est Vita

Schumi we miss you wrote:Oh if Fernando would be back in Renault then What about Piquet Jr? When would he be given a chance?
When Fernando or Heikki leave or retire?? :(
What about Williams for Piquet? Sounds like a possibility.

Toyota just signed Timo Glock and they were trying to get Alonso, so that means that they already know that Alonso will definetly join Renault next year.

kimi

well as far as 'the bild' is concerned alonso is joining renault next yr. :D
its yet 2 be confirmed but it certainly seems 2 be a possibility.

tomislavp4

The chanses to see him fighting for the title next year are small then, considering how well renault is doing :?

But I can´t wait to see him out of McLaren :evil:

Militia Est Vita

I concurr, IMO I Alonso moves to Renault, next year is going to be a yeard of lots of hard work from Renault and Alonso to get back on the championship track, but not for fighting for it.

mx_tifoso

Militia Est Vita wrote:I concurr, IMO I Alonso moves to Renault, next year is going to be a yeard of lots of hard work from Renault and Alonso to get back on the championship track, but not for fighting for it.
Who knows, look where McLaren was last season and where they are now.
Changes come and go very fast in the world of F1, you can never be too sure of anything for too long.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bar555

Renault has already started 2008 project ( so BMW Sauber) . Mc Laren and Ferrari still fight for the championship so their efforts are splitted in 2 projects 2007 and 2008 . I think Renault will be more competitive in 2008 , Alonso is back , new motivation , 2nd year with the bridgestone tyres . Renault is still WC and has the knowledge to become again . Of course 2008 would be hard to regain the tittles but who can predict future.......

Iciano

Delighted to see Fernando return to Renault.

It will help the team enormously - the mechanics love him and the engineers rave about him...having a world champ back should also help Renault bolster their sponsorship portfolio, which doesnt seem as strong as it could be.

I see next year as being a bit of a rebuilding year - for him to get the team working around him again, the team to settle down and for him to share what he learned at mclaren, then challenge for the chamionship once again in '09..then again he wouldnt be going to renault unless he saw something special in the plans!!

mx_tifoso

Alonso returning to Renault is not official as of today, its mere speculation that has all of you celebrating way too early before victory. My suggestion, don't get your hopes up.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.