Lewis Hamilton - in a class of his own

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Lewis Hamilton - in a class of his own

To all those who doubt what kind of talent Lewis Hamilton is - just look at the following records he now holds, after his rookie season..

Youngest world championship leader – 22 years, 4 months, six days (Spain 2007)
First rookie to win, take pole position and set fastest lap in a McLaren
Youngest driver to score pole, win, fastest lap hat-trick – Japan 2007
Most points in a debut season – 109
Most podiums in debut season – 12
Most races led in debut season – 12
Most pole positions in debut season – 6
Most front row starts in debut season – 12
Fastest driver to reach 100 career points (15 races)
Most consecutive podiums from debut race – 9 (Australia-Britain 2007)
Most consecutive points finishes from debut race – 9 (Australia-Britain 2007)
Most consecutive number of races led from debut race – 7 (Australia-USA 2007)
Youngest British driver to win in F1 – 22 years, 5 months, 3 days (Canada 2007)
Youngest British driver to score pole position – 22 years, 5 months, 2 days (Canada 2007)
Youngest British driver to register fastest lap – 22 years, 3 months, 1 day (Malaysia 2007)
Youngest British driver to finish on podium – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)
Youngest British driver to qualify on front row – 22 years, 3 months, 8 days (Bahrain 2007)
Youngest British driver to lead a race – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)
Most points for a British driver in one season – 109 (Previous record Nigel Mansell, 108)

All that and he's had to contend with a season full of politics, back stabbing, espionage, internal team warfare and a team mate who threw more than just his dummy out his cockpit on more than a few occasions!! :lol:

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Well put Ben.
F1 can belong to Lewis if he wants it.
He has certainly learnt a lot this year!

timbo
timbo

No doubt he's talent. He also was very lucky. But remember Villeneuve - pole in first race, which he almost won (and he lost not by mistake but by technical failure). And he also had chanses of winning the championship in his final race of debut year.
To me the ultimate quality of racing driver must be ability to fight in any circumstances. In that, at least to me Lewis, hasn't shown anything outstanding. He definetely LOST his chanses in final two races when he was under stress. He has plenty of time to grow as a racer, though.

Ray

Can we stop kissing the kids ass? He done great, I admire him for that. But this Lewis love-in is getting to the Michael Schumacher stage of annoying.

Vasco

Lewis is a really fast driver, plain down. People tend to forget that alonso is a two time champion, and everyone raves about him and how he can consistently set fast laps blah blah blah.....to be honest lewis beat him hands down this year using the same equipment and for a rookie that is amazing. Also, if you look at the races where ferrari dominated, its usually been lewis who was the faster of the two mclarens. U cannot dislike such a person.

Ray

I can dislike whoever I want.

I don't dislike him, I'm just tired of everyone acting like the kid is the only one who was racing this year. I blame the British media for all the hype.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

I agree. Things did get out of hand in the media. I think it's clear that in terms of polarising the veiwership, Hamilton has taken the place of Schumacher.

ps. top avatar

jwielage
jwielage

I will admit that I am bias against Hamilton as I am an Alonso fan. I will also admit that Hamilton is exceptionally quick on the track as he held his own and beat Alonso in many circumstances. I will say though Lewis does have some character flaws. His stunt in qualifying during Hungary disobayed team orders and pitted the team against each other. From that point on Mclarren lost sight of the task at hand and begun fighting amongst each other. Lewis' arrogance and Ron Dennis' inability to separate the business of Formula One from his personal emotions for Hamilton lost both McLarren drivers the opportunity to win. The all got what they deserved. Hamilton needs to learn to control his ego, Ron Dennis couldn't handle his team or seperate his business relationships from his personal relationships, Alonso acted like a baby thereby losing a first row grid spot in Hungary and the points associated with that, and Kimi won the world championship. And lets be honest kimi deserves this more than anyone because he keeps his mouth shut and just drives ! Way to go Ice Man.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

Steven
Owner

Re: Lewis Hamilton - in a class of his own

ben_watkins wrote:To all those who doubt what kind of talent Lewis Hamilton is - just look at the following records he now holds, after his rookie season..

Youngest world championship leader – 22 years, 4 months, six days (Spain 2007)
Youngest British driver to win in F1 – 22 years, 5 months, 3 days (Canada 2007)
Youngest British driver to score pole position – 22 years, 5 months, 2 days (Canada 2007)
Youngest British driver to register fastest lap – 22 years, 3 months, 1 day (Malaysia 2007)
Youngest British driver to finish on podium – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)
Youngest British driver to qualify on front row – 22 years, 3 months, 8 days (Bahrain 2007)
Youngest British driver to lead a race – 22 years, 2 months, 11 days (Australia 2007)
Most points for a British driver in one season – 109 (Previous record Nigel Mansell, 108)
Ok, Hamilton did really well, but given the circumstances so did Alonso. I'd like to see how any of us would perform under such pressure and with the feeling the team leaves you on your own.

Also, please... youngest British blabla are no statistics, this is a World Championship. You have also compared with Mansell for most points, but may I remind you that mansell was driving with the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system?

JamesS
JamesS

Tomba wrote: Ok, Hamilton did really well, but given the circumstances so did Alonso. I'd like to see how any of us would perform under such pressure and with the feeling the team leaves you on your own.

Also, please... youngest British blabla are no statistics, this is a World Championship. You have also compared with Mansell for most points, but may I remind you that mansell was driving with the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points system?
The reason for the British comparison is simple. Britain has produced more F1 world championships than any other nation on the planet.

Lewis was mugged on Sunday. First of all his own mistake, being too reluctant and naive at the start, a mistake he will not repeat next season I'm sure.

Secondly, he had mechanical problems, a rare occurrence this year for the team.

Thirdly, the pit tactics were wrong, yet again. They should have fueled him until the end, even after all the trouble with the car and the bad start, he would have got up to 5th place. At one stage towards the end he set the 2nd fastest lap while playing catch-up and was making good progress. He ended up 10 secs behind 5th place, initially this was 40 seconds, if he didn't do the final stop, which probably took away almost 30 secs, he would have been well and truly champion.

Militia Est Vita

JamesS wrote: Secondly, he had mechanical problems, a rare occurrence this year for the team.
It seemed quite odd to me as well seing the Mp4-22 having reliability problems on the very last race, but I suspect that was also because Lewis was beating the --- out of the car in his desperation to catch alonso after his mistake.

JamesS
JamesS

Militia Est Vita wrote:
JamesS wrote: Secondly, he had mechanical problems, a rare occurrence this year for the team.
It seemed quite odd to me as well seing the Mp4-22 having reliability problems on the very last race, but I suspect that was also because Lewis was beating the --- out of the car in his desperation to catch alonso after his mistake.
Yeah, its not completely out of the realms of possibility that the first corner right at the start where he went cross country ruined something within the car. Either the turbulence going over the bumps or all the dirt kicked up and inevitably ingested by the car. I also noticed while he was behind Rosberg, before the mechanical problems, he was very close to overtaking Rosberg but then Rosberg took a different line, slowed, caused Hamilton to ride over the apex for a bit too long, causing a very bumpy ride. It was shortly after that the car suffered problems.

dumrick
dumrick

Also he was going out of the wake of the car in front consistently on the back straight. That gives some credit to the theory that his problem was related with overheating systems, after his off-track excursion.

JamesS
JamesS

dumrick wrote:Also he was going out of the wake of the car in front consistently on the back straight. That gives some credit to the theory that his problem was related with overheating systems, after his off-track excursion.
I heard one of the commentators say he may be doing that because the bottom is skimming the ground.

dumrick
dumrick

JamesS wrote:
dumrick wrote:Also he was going out of the wake of the car in front consistently on the back straight. That gives some credit to the theory that his problem was related with overheating systems, after his off-track excursion.
I heard one of the commentators say he may be doing that because the bottom is skimming the ground.
The theory I was talking about was mentioned by our co-forumer BitFarmer, as being mentioned by Spanish TV and Pedro De La Rosa during the live transmission.