Lewis Hamilton - in a class of his own

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jddh1

it's true that hamilton is very very good. no question about that.

but tell me, isn't he the first rookie to join in right away with a very good team? I'm pretty sure he is, but I don't know everything. My only problem with him is that he hasn't gone through the hard stages of F1. He hasn't "paid his dues" with a backmarker team.

JamesS
JamesS

dumrick wrote:
JamesS wrote:
dumrick wrote:Also he was going out of the wake of the car in front consistently on the back straight. That gives some credit to the theory that his problem was related with overheating systems, after his off-track excursion.
I heard one of the commentators say he may be doing that because the bottom is skimming the ground.
The theory I was talking about was mentioned by our co-forumer BitFarmer, as being mentioned by Spanish TV and Pedro De La Rosa during the live transmission.
I'll stick to the British ITV commentators belief ;)

Ray

Montoya whacked a curb pretty hard last year in Australia, thus knocking the car into fail safe mode and ending his race. Lewis did the same, just that his race wasn't ended because of it.

Vasco

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 0432.shtml

Hamilton accidentally pressed the starting sequence button which made the car go into neutral for a while.

Tom

I don't think so Ray, Montoya gave that curb a real belt and it packed in instantly, Lewis did give the car a few knocks and bumps but it was a couple of laps before he slowed down and it wasn't really enough to damage the car anyway. Esspecially when you consider the many other cars went through that day and survived.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

checkered

PitPass, without naming

the source of their information, states that Lewis mistakenly hit the "Start" button. He would've had to reload the system thereafter. (Sounds like a Windows problem, doesn't it? :o ) Exclusive: Did Hamilton press the wrong button? - link, PitPass

Way before the season started I posted something here and in the BBC msgboard (a rare occurrence these days), roughly along these lines: I hope that Hamilton's effort isn't hampered or devalued by the limits in the imaginations of others. Having seen some of the things he'd done thus far I had no doubt in my mind that many people would be challenged to accept what he could achieve. I feel that to a great extent that did happen. Even positive shocks are shocks and the human psychology is such that the road to accepting shocking things does require some time and effort to wade through. The team, despite their familiarity, was unprepared. Mercedes, in the beginning of the season, seemed unprepared. Fernando certainly was unprepared. All this was painfully obvious.

But it isn't the fault of Lewis that he is talented, quite consistent, has a lot of perseverance and in many respects is mature beyond his years. It took quite a number of unfortunate occurrances to finally take him out of the championships this year - and a rookie WDC would've been a great story. That being said, Kimi's surprising rise isn't devalued by any unrealised prospect, not in the least. There are no ifs, no buts. Hamilton has a solid base to buid on. I trust that he will review this season at his leisure and draw the right conclusions on how to proceed. Love him or hate him, he will be there to challenge himself and others to display the best racecraft possible in Formula One. And the sport will be better because of him.

Ray

Tom wrote:I don't think so Ray, Montoya gave that curb a real belt and it packed in instantly, Lewis did give the car a few knocks and bumps but it was a couple of laps before he slowed down and it wasn't really enough to damage the car anyway. Esspecially when you consider the many other cars went through that day and survived.
You're right Tom. I was badly making a point that the few excursions he made might have been similar in result to what happened to Montoya. Sorry for backtracking and changing my story. :lol: You did however point out what I said that was completely wrong.

jddh1

If he was using windows, why didn't he press the Undo button? I'm sure his start sequence would've stopped and he could've properly resumed racing.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

checkered wrote: Love him or hate him, he will be there to challenge himself and others to display the best racecraft possible in Formula One. And the sport will be better because of him.
Well said!

8)

dumrick
dumrick

So, it's official, he handed the championship with three unforced errors, one at China and two at Brasil. He cracked under pressure and showed to be too young and immature to be World Champion. However, a guy that loses with so much style and elevation is a natural winner and will come back with a vengeance...

timbo
timbo

I agree. In future he definetely have all the possibility to grow as a racer. Right now he still is a very fast driver, but not so fit as a fighter.

Rob W

They wont admit that Hamilton pushed the wrong button... :lol: It would be the topic of jokes for F1 eternity.

I can see Murry Walker now.... "Oh no, he Hamiltoned himself"

R

Tom

You assume he pressed the wrong button, or perhaps he didn't actually press the wrong button, its just a rumour made up by some guy who didn't like Lewis and it was actually a gearbox sensor malfunction!?!

After all, don't you think the 'off' button is going to be well out of the drivers reach after what supposably happened to Mansell back in Canada several years ago?

And remember what Mikep99 says:
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I'd love to see a photo comparison between the steering wheeels, '07 vs '08. I bet that button will be relocated or changed. :roll:

modbaraban
modbaraban

DaveKillens wrote:I'd love to see a photo comparison between the steering wheeels, '07 vs '08. I bet that button will be relocated or changed. :roll:
That was the start button that made the software restart.
In 2008 there'll be some new software and the button will most likely be replaced by whole 3 buttons! That is Ctrl + Alt +Del :wink: