Pot calling the kettle black???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
meves
meves

Pot calling the kettle black???

Luca di Montezemolo has been quoted as saying

"It would have been paradoxical if a driver had won with a car that was judged irregular and suspended," referring to Ferrari's bitter pursuit of British rivals McLaren this year in the espionage affair.

He appears to have forgotten about the ferraris illegal moving floor when they still won!

Ray

They used a grey rule to their advantage. Just like anyone else would. Get over it.

flynfrog

Ray wrote:They used a grey rule to their advantage. Just like anyone else would. Get over it.
I could not have said it better :lol:

meves
meves

Phew, just glad I didn't mention a two way transfer of data between Ferrari and McLaren :lol: :lol: :lol:

mini696

The car wasn't illegal during that race. If they used the same floor for subsequent races then it would have been illegal. End of story.

mini696

meves wrote:Phew, just glad I didn't mention a two way transfer of data between Ferrari and McLaren :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I am sure you have proof of this.

dumrick
dumrick

mini696 wrote:The car wasn't illegal during that race. If they used the same floor for subsequent races then it would have been illegal. End of story.
Damn, this is a neverending story... :roll: :roll:

If some people don't understand the difference between a rule and a test to check that rule, that's fine by me, we can't all be Einsteins, but to repeat it over and over again...

Is like saying that a measure in the rules doesn't have to be respected if there is no check template for it...

astsmtl

dumrick wrote: Damn, this is a neverending story... :roll: :roll:

If some people don't understand the difference between a rule and a test to check that rule, that's fine by me, we can't all be Einsteins, but to repeat it over and over again...

Is like saying that a measure in the rules doesn't have to be respected if there is no check template for it...
Totally agree with you!

meves
meves

mini696 wrote:
meves wrote:Phew, just glad I didn't mention a two way transfer of data between Ferrari and McLaren :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I am sure you have proof of this.
Hi Mini696, I lost the 790 page dossier. Really, I was only joking mate!

timbo
timbo

dumrick wrote:
mini696 wrote:The car wasn't illegal during that race. If they used the same floor for subsequent races then it would have been illegal. End of story.

OK, OK

So the rule they broken was about moving aerodynamic device? So... do you honestly believe there is a single nonmoving aerodynamic device in F1 car? Like the whole car is made of titanium or something? Reality is everything flexes to cirtain limit. You cannot built unmoving aerodymanic device. The only possible description of "unmoving" is tolerating a defined force.

dumrick
dumrick

timbo wrote:
OK, OK

So the rule they broken was about moving aerodynamic device? So... do you honestly believe there is a single nonmoving aerodynamic device in F1 car? Like the whole car is made of titanium or something? Reality is everything flexes to cirtain limit. You cannot built unmoving aerodymanic device. The only possible description of "unmoving" is tolerating a defined force.
Of course you cannot have an absolutely rigid element. That's why maximum deflections at a given force are stipulated, to deal with real life material bahaviour. The fact that you have a rule stipulating that "this element must not move" and that you test it applying "X" Newtons and allowing "Y"mm deformation doesn't mean that the rule magically transforms itself in "this element can move freely applying X+1 Newtons".

Furthermore, as I understood the concealed working principle of the Ferrari cheating device, it even broke geometric rules like the fact that the flat bottom must be... flat.

timbo
timbo

Well I understand your point but you cannot force anybody to fallow the spirit of the rules because it is immaterial :) . Ferrari's moving floor and Renaults mass-dampers are only examples of it that received some mass-media coverage. Do you honestly believe that McLaren doesn't use anything like that? Do you believe that Q3 was supposed to be that fuel-burning parade? What's the point of this debate?

Seas
Seas

flynfrog wrote:
Ray wrote:They used a grey rule to their advantage. Just like anyone else would. Get over it.
I could not have said it better :lol:

BRAAAAAAVO!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/index.html
Croatia, the small country for big relax

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

dumrick wrote:

Actually that is exactly it, the talk of "spirit of the rule" is utter nonsense, as you cannot govern the spirit of the rule through any means, or else it'd be figure skating and based on subjective judgements. The rule book state before the revision to how much certain things can move and how they test it, and thus if you pass the test, you are deemed legal as per the exact wording of the rule, which is as legal as it is required of anyone to be. If the rule maker wants to have all of their basis covered, then they would need to figureout a better test to catch the team that has ways of passing that test. Which is what the revised rule regarding the floor was. Loopholes and people who takes advantages of them is as old as motorsports itself. No one called Gordan Murray's Brabham fan car as illegal, it was banned rightafter that race it won, but it was legal to keep that win, and no one called Porsche's 1994 "Dauer 962 LM" illegal, but it was a Group C car in GT1's disguise. People who don't outthink another at the end of the day will be the slow one on track, simple as that...

dumrick
dumrick

RacingManiac wrote:No one called Gordan Murray's Brabham fan car as illegal, it was banned rightafter that race it won, but it was legal to keep that win, and no one called Porsche's 1994 "Dauer 962 LM" illegal, but it was a Group C car in GT1's disguise.
Or the mass damper, it wasn't illegal until someone found a way to call it an aero moving device, right? :wink: That's the catch, fans were not forbidden in 1978, the Dauer had road homologation. But aero moving devices are forbidden by the letter of the law, not only by the spirit. The mass damper was only banned afterwards because it was a new interpretation (very far-fetched and, in my opinion, utterly ridiculous) of the rules: that such a device was considered an aero moving device, not because it didn't comply with some test that regulated the rigidity of aero devices. So, now where do we stand? It is the spirit or the wording of the rules that matter, now??? Furthermore, Nigel Stepney revealed that the undertray of the Ferrari was sprung in a way that worked also like a mass damper, which makes it break the same rule twice: in the wording and (as of FIA's interpretation) in the spirit. And mass dampers are banned since last year and Renault was threatened with disqualification if they kept running it!

That's actually a huge mix up you are doing. If a rule states that a wing must be 400mm long, not having a system to measure it, wouldn't be a reason for it to be longer, legally. And that's not a valid point to talk about material flex. It's because materials do flex that a compliance test must be put in place. But to pass the test doesn't make the test the rule. The rule is that an element with aero influence must be rigidly attached to the chassis. It may be an old wording and it may even be a stupid rule, but that's the wording.

To hide a system that makes something that the rule says must be rigidly attached to pass the rigidity test and flex afterwards, is cheating. Furthermore, if it works also has a device that is clearly banned. Or masses sprung in a way to dampen certain frequencies are only forbidden in encapsulated in the nose cone? Or perhaps only in yellow cars???

Since you seem to like so much historical comparisons, I tell you the story about Tyrrell fueling the cars in the 80's with gasoline mixed with little lead balls. The lead balls that stayed inside the fuel tank made for the difference between the initial weight and the legal weight. They found a system to pass the compliance test (cars were only weighted in the end of the race), but it was a cheat, because they were outside the rules since race start until refueling. Same with Ferrari: their floor was designed to pass the test, but in every situation where the floor moved, they were illegal. Tyrrell was disqualified from that championship, also... :P

Just an afterthought: if Ferrari would have been disqualified from the race they won with that cheat, the story of the championship would have been very different... :wink:
Last edited by dumrick on 26 Oct 2007, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.