Shift of concept for F2007?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Shift of concept for F2007?

Throughout the season I noticed that F2007 seemed to be most suited to the tracks that were previously unfavorable for Ferrari and vise versa. Previously I thought that the key elements of performance for Ferrari were top-speed and mechanical grip, while now it seems that they tried to optimize aero-performance for fast corners. Maybe they tried to catch on Renault?

mx_tifoso

Definately a shift of concept for the '07 season. It was rather a revolution than an evolution, with main examples being the switch from single-keel to a zero-keel and the noticably longer wheelbase.

And not only did the Ferrari car go through extensive changes, but so did the marketing schemes of the entire team/company.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

HKS

We miss you Ross

hey guys one track where Ferrari still lacks speed. Monaco is you remember

zenvision

I think the only track they lacked speed was Monza, and that was due to the McLaren superior traction. I think in Monaco several things went wrong for them (Massa doesn't go well, Kimi who was looking good crashed, wind tunnel problems), but in other circuits like Hungaroring they were at least equal to Mclaren and in Brazil who many thought would favour macca turned out to be a playground for Ferrari.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

ds.raikkonen

zenvision wrote:I think the only track they lacked speed was Monza, and that was due to the McLaren superior traction. I think in Monaco several things went wrong for them (Massa doesn't go well, Kimi who was looking good crashed, wind tunnel problems), but in other circuits like Hungaroring they were at least equal to Mclaren and in Brazil who many thought would favour macca turned out to be a playground for Ferrari.
true, and thanks to the zero-overtaking in dry nature of the hungaroring, kimi couldnt win it. but he set the fastest lap. Monza was the biggest defeat for Ferrari id say, its a battle for honour in Monza, which they lost.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

timbo

Well, ferrari obviously lacked speed at Canada and US too. And theese are tracks where they often looked good before. Also, previously highest spped trap records were mostly by Ferrari cars, while this year it's McLaren.

zenvision

I would hesitate to say that they lacked speed in the North American races, remember that they had that wind tunnel malfunction for a period of time.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Giblet

They don't have these kind of malfunctions when Ross Brawn is around.

donskar

Shift of Concept for F2007?

My first post. Been lurking for months. Love the forum.

Shift of Concept? AND shift of personnel.

Impressive performance considering enormous shift in personnel. Schumi, Brawn, Bryne, Martinelli, et al gone. Stepney arguably working AGAINST the team. Yet they took a rather big step AWAY from the 2006 car. Many "experts" wondered early on whether the new tech team was making a mistake with the long wheelbase approach . . .

Can't wait for the 2008!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Carlos

Welcome to the Forum donskar. Yes, the long wheelbase was also discussed here and led to an interesting thread on vehicle dynamics. Next season is something to look forward to. Very good to see a quote from Phil Hill. Over the years I have always felt that Phil Hill was a true gentleman and sportsman, he should have some insight concerning Enzo Ferrari as he raced for him in GP, taking his Championship in 1961?...and also drove sportscars for him. I still recall his years driving the Chaparral in the CANAM and endurance racing. Thanks for bringing him to mind. Welcome.

mini696

...and there will be another change of concept next year. Ferrari are rumored to be going back to a shorter wheelbase next year.

This year they were able to compensate for the longer WB using the electronics, however because of the standard ECU next year they doubt they will be able to compensate using them (the electronics).

A change in concept will be tried to compensate using the chassis setup rather than electrics.
Supporting:
Mark "It happens" Webber
McLaren

NickT

I would be very surprised if Ferrari or any of the other teams will reduce the wheel base for next year. The drivers will need a little help adjusting to the lack of traction control and stabilised engine braking. A longer wheel base is more stable but a little less nimble, where as a short wheel base is less stable but more nimble. Now which one do you want to drive when you change down a little too early and get a little engine braking lock up at the rear wheels or on the exit of a corner when you apply a little too much power :?: :?:

The long wheel base car will be just that little bit more forgiving, which in a year of driver readjustment might just make the difference between keeping it on the road and sliding off when they over step the mark :wink:
NickT

Ian_E

Can they not fit slipper clutches into their cars, this will resist the rear wheels locking on down change.

These are currently used on most big capacity road & race bikes at all levels, and allow the clutch to be let out at which ever engine RPM without fear of the wheels locking, and then when the wheel speed and Engine speed are comparable it'll act as engine braking. (This Slip is adjustable through the pressure on the slipper springs).

Surely a useful idea :shock:

Carlos

A very useful idea...and welcome to the forum.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutch.html

zac510

Ian_E wrote:Can they not fit slipper clutches into their cars, this will resist the rear wheels locking on down change.

These are currently used on most big capacity road & race bikes at all levels, and allow the clutch to be let out at which ever engine RPM without fear of the wheels locking, and then when the wheel speed and Engine speed are comparable it'll act as engine braking. (This Slip is adjustable through the pressure on the slipper springs).

Surely a useful idea :shock:
They have electronic control that stops that from happening.