Hamilton to Switzerland for peace and quiet or tax breaks?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
G-Rock
G-Rock

Hamilton to Switzerland for peace and quiet or tax breaks?

I'm so sick of tired of celebrities telling their fans why they moved to Switzerland. Just admit you hate paying taxes on your millions and I'll still respect you ( I don't like to pay too much tax either) but don't lie.
I think it Shania Twain said exactly what LH said, almost word for word when she explained why she moved their in an interview.
Doesn't the media pick up on this or do they really believe their BS? Like "Hey Lewis, c'mon why did you rrreallly move to Switzerland dude?"

I just had to get that off my chest.

I liked how JV called Monaco a "ghetto for the rich". That's a brilliant label for those "tax haven" type countries.
--------------------------------------------------------

Ray

The media knows what the BS is. But you have to remember, they are fueled by it. They report lies, and always find a way to doctor something, take it out of context, or show only one side of something and completely ignore another so they can further their own agenda or opinions or whatever. Frankly, where he moves is his business, I could care less.

Carlos
Carlos

Lewis has a choice of maybe 100 countries where he can be will be out of the media's glare and also pay a lot less taxes on his future earnings. Let's give the British press a little latitude in there lavish praise of Lewis Hamilton. they haven't had a winner since Hill and Mansell before that, it's an easy story and the Brtish writers don't have to work too hard to make their deadlines and salaries building up LH. Besides, he's pretty good at his job of being an F1 driver, is it possible we can all agree on that. I doubt it (sigh) :wink:

EDITED out the personal opinion BS
EDIT - Nov 30th - G-Rock - that was my point, he is avoiding taxes and I don't think the worshiping press is going to mention it and spoil a feel good story. To much work and too much possibility of having your column inches slowly reduced . Post was mean't as a sarcastic comment. Alonso probably moved to England to be near the team so he could offer his best, even though he probably had to pay more tax and I say that with out cynicism.

http://www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/jswpetx.html#income
Last edited by Carlos on 02 Nov 2007, 04:39, edited 3 times in total.

G-Rock
G-Rock

Yes but just have these journalists do some investigative reporting and see how much tax their star driver will be forfieting by moving out of England. Wouldn't you be a little offended by that, by screwing the country that raised you by saving a few million in taxes per year? If my country had a celebrity, I would like to see them stay put, just like in the US.
One move I don't understand is why Alonso moved from Spain to the England. Why to England, aren't taxes high there as well? Why didn't he move to Switzerland or Monaco?
--------------------------------------------------------

mcdenife
mcdenife

Alonso did and does now live in switzerland.

Edit:
Alonso said a while ago that he couldnt live in spain because he had notprivacy. In fact he had it worse than Lewis experienced this year. This season after joining Mclaren and, I imagine, with the big jump in his paycheck he moved to switzerland and why the hell not. He would be foolish not to.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Belatti
Belatti

If I where rich I would be glad to pay taxes in a country like Norway, Sweden or even Germany, where you know it may come back to society about 90% of it.

Here, paying taxes is for fools, corruption is so high that if you pay 10, 8 are for feeding politicians, and 2 for unefficient subventioned public services. And in lot of cases paying is easy to avoid and if you get discovered you don´t go to jail, just have to pay what you debt in instalments.

And yes, when you are famous, media and fans are difficult to stand, I would move away.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

jwielage
jwielage

Well I am not sure I would want to pay Swedish levels of taxes if I was making $10 million a year. I read somewhere that their governments tax revenues exceed half of GDP, therefore average tax rates have to be in excess of 50%. That is a lot of money if you are making a 8 digit salary.

But we shouldn't critisise Lewis Hamilton if financial motivations are driving his decision. It is easy to say that if one were to make 15 million dollars or 7 million pounds a year that they would be happy to pay taxes, but it is different when it is your money. I guess what gets people pissed off is when we get fed a line of BS. I would rather someone say that financial reasons played a part, and be honest then feeding me some transparent BS. I wouldn't be surprised if old Antony Hamilton played a large roll in this decision. He just strikes me as being a bit too much in the driver's seat for my liking. And why the hell is he in the pit all the time? Is his Lewis's manager?
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

ginsu
ginsu

jwielage wrote: He just strikes me as being a bit too much in the driver's seat for my liking. And why the hell is he in the pit all the time? Is his Lewis's manager?
Actually, I think he is. You can't blame a dad for being around his star kid, he's put everything into that kid. Just put yourself in the same place, would you rather support your child or be off spending his money somewhere and living off him frivolously. Who knows, maybe Hamilton really likes having his dad around. Also, I don't expect it to last forever, maybe until the first WDC is won.

What makes me sick is that Lewis has an biography coming out, and that is really nauseating since he hasn't even won the WDC, you can't properly 'reflect on your life' when you're what 22?!!!
I love to love Senna.

Tom

National pride is fine but theres a point where it becomes a zenaphobic paranoia, I'm proud of where I come from and where I am, but given the oppertunity I certainly wouldn't stay. Theres too much world out there to always be in the same place and if moving means abandoning your country then so be it. It probably won't miss you anyway.
I'm sure taxes play a huge part in Lewis decision, but then again if he's making the money he is then why shouldn't he work hrd to keep it?

As for Anthony, he seems like a nice guy, I don't know why everyone has something against him, he's entitled to be in the pit lane as much as anyone else. He's missed out on alot of Lewis' childhood working 3 jobs to get him into F1. why can't he spend time with Lewis now he's there?

Undoubtably the biography is going a bit far, but its not actually written by him so give him a break.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

LH is now a brand, there will be a fitnesss video too, maybe even next Christmas lol. please no! :roll:

The one difference imo is that he has an extraordinary talent, rather than the other vacuous celebrity types who hawk their wares this time of year. fair shout to him - make while you can, yr not an F1 driver for life.

So back on point yes its tax & were talking 100's & 100's of millions earnings - Tiger Woods et al. Anyone would do the same - even if you stay in your home country & have foreign 'investments' you still wont have a semi normal personal life.

Hell still be on the tv every two weeks or so :)
MMIAFN

tomislavp4

well jwielage, they aren´t as high, they are 30% here in sweden :wink:

Hey, his money-his choise :D
If it was me I wouldn´t abandon my country beacuse of lower taxes, but I definetly would if I can´t live my life from the press...