Track security

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Track security

Has anybody heard or can anyone comment on experiences about how the security of a track is managed during an F1 event?

I imagine FIA consider its events a possible target and they are widely dispersed in this dangerous world. So, I was wondering if there are some regulations or minimum requirements for the security infrastructure, you know: fencing, cameras, personnel, management of intruders, infrastructure for security at entrances. I'm more interested in the areas required and in the kind of structures you need than in the details of the operation, of course.

For example, what kind of search have you been through when entering an F1 race? Or, on the other hand, have you ever been able to get into a GP "for free"? Have you gone through irritating queues for parking or entrance because of security? Or, on the contrary, have you felt secure at the parking lot after the security search?
Ciro

flynfrog

generally in the states they check your bag. But its not that thorough and its easy to skip the check line.

But i don't feel that I am in any more danger than I am sitting at the pub having a pint .

As far as GP for free I have not yet done this.

I have been on pit row of an indy race, snuck into a General Motors VIP dinner and got free food.

ridden in a pace car because i convinced some one i was supposed to and i was wearing the correct Tshirt

And many more things like that

The truth is most race tracks are not build like prisons getting into places isn't that hard alot of times walking with a group of people past a check point it all that is needed

Tom

Found this today, http://youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8.
This topic is too good an oppertunity to pass it up.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Carlos
Carlos

:D flynfrog ...You are a hero...F1T's Ferris Buller. :D

West
West

I went to the first and last Super GT race in the States... security was a bit lax. The lines were long but that is what you should expect at a big event post-9/11. Just a wave of the metal detector, empty your pockets, and go.

I would be more afraid of people thinking they're Schumacher in the parking lot, after the race.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

flynfrog

Carlos wrote::D flynfrog ...You are a hero...F1T's Ferris Buller. :D
I should teach a class the value of looking busy and holding a clip board

:lol:

From what I under stand F1 security is much tighter but it if ever comes back the the US ill give it ago

checkered

Carlos wrote::D flynfrog ...You are a hero...F1T's Ferris Buller. :D
Carlos is right, you're a

true inspiration to the rank and file of F1T. I'm already looking forward to planning (or rather improvising) a few "days off" myself, though should those feature a Ferrari 250 GT California (fat chance), I'll try and avoid backing it into a deep ravine.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

checkered wrote:I'll try and avoid backing it into a deep ravine.
Or a tree :shock: .
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.