Survey

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
eidetic
eidetic

Survey

So these have all been probably asked before, but since this is my first F1 forum with what appears to be a larger international userbase (I'm a long time poster on the Speed Channel forums, which is heavily US and Canadian-centric), I'd like to ask a few questions, to get other people's perspectives.

I'm interested to see if these answers from different cultures, since F1 coverage and interest is so limited here in the US. (Well, Speed gives us good coverage in terms of airing P2, Quali, and the Race, but we get very little coverage on the news, ESPN, etc. In other words, it's hard for the average person here to even get the chance to be interested in F1, from lack of awareness. I'm also interested in seeing other Americans' (both US and Canadian) answers.

1) What got you into F1?

2) What keeps you interested in F1?

3) Do you root for drivers and/or teams who share your nationality?

4) How much do you look forward to actually attending a race, and how important is it to you to actually witness either your home GP, or one nearby?

My answers:

1) The Ferrari F40. I was about 7 years old in 1988, and it sort of started my interest in cars. I think it was either a folder, or a trapper keeper (those binder things school kids use that hold papers, folders, pens, etc) that had the F40 on it. This sparked my interest as a kid in cars, and Ferrari especially. Reading on it led me to F1. Then in 1992, I remember looking at every store for Geoff Crammond's first version of his GP game/sim series. With no luck finding it locally, I ended up getting Indycar Racing. This did nothing to persuade me from F1, as I still tried to follow F1 via magazines and the occasional broadcast (on I believe either ABC or ESPN). It wasn't until the 2002 season, when we got digital cable (and Speed channel) that I was able to watch every race. I've since missed 4 races, one while I was en-route from Belgium to Germany via train, and the other 3 when I first moved to Los Angeles and had no cable.

2) The technology. I also like the strategy involved. I root for Ferrari, and a few other teams, so drivers don't have much of an impact. I do like watching drivers progress over the years though, even if I don't necessarily root for them.

3) As I said, I root for Ferrari. Being in an American, with the exception of Scott Speed and Michael Andretti, there hasn't been much for me to root for based on nationality. I'm also not that heavily influenced by nationalistic reasons. I'd like to see an American do well in F1, but I wouldn't root for one just because of his nationality.

4) I've always looked forward to attending a race, but sadly have not. I live just about 4 or 5 hours from Indianapolis, but due to various reasons I have been unable to attend. This last year ('07 season) I was going to be working on a work project, and being that I'm freelance, I couldn't pass up the amazing opportunity (not so much the money, but it was for a huge company, and really boosted my resume and portfolio - or will rather, when the NDA expires). Part of the project needed to be done before being passed to me, so I would not receive my stuff till Friday morning, which meant a period of weekend work. The four years leading up to that I had family/friend weddings to attend, and the two years prior to that I just didn't have much money, as I was trying to make a go of freelancing for a living. So for the 2008 season, I've made it my goal to attend a race no matter what. It'll either be Montreal, or since I've been thinking of going back to Europe, or possibly Asia, I might attend a race overseas. Overseas races I'd like to attend would either be Spa, San Marino, or Monza, and then probably the Japanese GP.

Carlos
Carlos

eidetic I've got time to answer the firsr question now. When I was in primary school we used to bus across town to take shop. The teacher tried to widen our horizons beyond gluing aquariums, making tin boxes and small book cases consisting of 2 sides and wooden dowels by encoraging us to read. He had a stack of magazines, Mechanics Illustrated I think. I flipped through one then begged to take it home, he never let them out of the shop but he must have thought I'd cut off my fingers in the scroll saw if he didn't let me. There was an article on 1960 Formula Junior cars, cars I couldn't imagine, remember American cars were about 20 feet long at the time. with 2 ft high fins each side of the trunk, a 2 1/2 foot diameter steering wheel and averaged about 5000lbs, monster V8, automatic transmissions with push buttons on the dashboard to shift.

These 1960 Formula Junior Formula cars were so tiny, rear engine, elegant cigar shapes, strange spindly suspension, ridiculous little motors which the shop teacher said were lawn mower engine 5 times smaller than his car. Then I went to buy a copy of Mechanics Illustrated at the soda fountain/drug store and discovered Road and Track magizine with Grand Prix cars and race reports, started spending every cent I had on those magazines every month.

These were the days when everthing American was worshipped. Europe was thought a collapsed bombed out backwater. Changed my thinking completely, started reading and thinking, talking like a Liberal and Internationalist. This turned out to be both good and bad, another story :wink:

tomislavp4

Well, I´we been interested in cars since I was born :D my parents knew this and to keep me busy they were turnin on the TV when a race was on so I won´t bother them I guess :roll:

Then the schumi-fever stroke and suddenly everyone wanted to watch f1....we (me and my friends) were buying small red toy-cars and played in the backyard :lol:

Since than I allways watch every race.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing that keeps me interested in the sport is the technology, to see those things going 360kph or even beter, cornering at high G´s is fantastic!

Well there is not Macedonian or Swedish driver/team right now...
but if there was I guess I would :wink:

I´ve never seen a GP live :cry: but I hope I would in a near future and I have a wish my first live GP to be in Monaco :D damn I love that track, that city, everything!