Whats your favorite series besides F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flynfrog

I would go with world of outlaws sprint cars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyIwfqUcY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTgW2kF5BUY

750+hp

1200 pounds

movable wing

no clutch or transmisson
no power steering

race on dirt

burn proper race fuel

coreybaxter

I have to agree, dirt track racing is the best. For american it is the heart and soul of racing...it true racing unlike what nascar has become.

eidetic

Hrm, I don't know if I have a second favorite. Over the years I've enjoyed WRC, GP2 (and F3000 before), A1GP, DTM, FIA GT, and other various sports car racing series.

One thing I'm not a fan of, in any series, is oval racing. Some say that means I'm not a true racing fan, but I'm of the opinion racing should be held on tracks that turn left and right, have turns of varying radii, require the cars to brake, etc. I'm not saying I'm right (it's impossible to be right or wrong on opinion), it's just what I believe and look for in motorsports.

DaveKillens

Women's beach volleyball. Definitely eye candy territory. If not that, figure skating. :wink:

flynfrog

eidetic wrote:Hrm, I don't know if I have a second favorite. Over the years I've enjoyed WRC, GP2 (and F3000 before), A1GP, DTM, FIA GT, and other various sports car racing series.

One thing I'm not a fan of, in any series, is oval racing. Some say that means I'm not a true racing fan, but I'm of the opinion racing should be held on tracks that turn left and right, have turns of varying radii, require the cars to brake, etc. I'm not saying I'm right (it's impossible to be right or wrong on opinion), it's just what I believe and look for in motorsports.
different strokes for different folks
I grew up on dirt ovals

and if you watch the video you will see they do break and turn both directions

8)

eidetic

flynfrog wrote:
eidetic wrote:Hrm, I don't know if I have a second favorite. Over the years I've enjoyed WRC, GP2 (and F3000 before), A1GP, DTM, FIA GT, and other various sports car racing series.

different strokes for different folks
I grew up on dirt ovals

and if you watch the video you will see they do break and turn both directions

8)
I wasn't referring to your post specifically. When I say turn left and right though, I'm not referring to applying opposite lock. Forgive me if they do turn right (as in, the car taking a righthanded turn) in those videos, as I'm not going to watch ~10 minutes of video of something I've seen before that I don't find that interesting.

And I'm fully aware not ovals are all full throttle all the time. I fully understand that quite a lot of ovals, be it dirt, concrete, etc, require braking before entering a turn.

I agree wholeheartedly it's a matter of taste though. As I said, I'm not right or wrong, it's just an opinion.

naknak_56

125 250 GP and motogp classes where you get actual racing with overtaking and everything. I watch pretty much any thing with wheels but those 3 classes consistently offer the best racing IMHO.
If you can read this your connection is faster than 56k

astsmtl

DTM is cool! Sadly there is no TV coverage in my country, so the only way for me to watch races is to download them from Internet. :(

tomislavp4

I like DTM, champ car, Wrc, Dakar.... but ther´s no coverage here for most of them :cry:

I forgot LeMans :oops:
Last edited by tomislavp4 on 05 Nov 2007, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Ranald

I realise that I'm a bit bias but I love the LMS. I love sportscar racing in general so the ALMS is a fave' of mine. But having said that I will watch just about anything be it touring cars, bike racing, rallying, oval racing or whatever. The only thing I can't stand is bloody drifting!!! (sport, my arse).
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

Belatti

My first problem is here I don´t get many TV coverage from a lot of series I know are good (LMS, DTM, Nascar, Formulas [3, Renault, BMW, World series by Nissan, etc.]).
Among those I prefer the ones without oval tracks.

Oval track series TV coverage here are like being hit with a bat in the back of my neck (50 minutes of publicity in yellow flags per hour). Maybe something changed now but I wont notice.
Nascar is overwhelming cause of 1.000.000 teams, 200 divisions and 2000 races a year and drivers running here and there and you cant understand who is who. I dont have the time to learn all that.

A list would be:
- WRC
- TC (Argentine "nascar" without ovals, good cars, badly painted, some tracks sucks, they are like racing in dirt)
- TC2000 (Argentine "DTM", good cars, well presented, but recently has been standarized cause cost cuts)
- Moto GP, 250 and 125 (good passing!)

I really don´t like drifting, 1/4mile sprints and tunning "beauty" competitions, but dont mind cause no TV coverage.

I do like historic car races of regularity (here we have got 1000 Miglia, for 30+ years cars/bikes) there is no TV coverage also, but at least there is a TV programme that shows the cars. :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Tom

For watching it has to be rallying, The WRC in Finland this year was stunning with the drivers seeming to spend more time in the air than on the ground.

Competing, well I don't have nearly enough experience but again the rally I did blew everything else away. I'm pushing for a go in the co-driver seat for an event in December, but it seems increasingly unlikely.

For the cars themselves Le Mans blows everything else out the water. Throughout the sports history I've never seen an ugly Le Mans car.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Militia Est Vita

Every so often I follow Champcar since it is the 'big' series that has some mexican pilots and we have a GP in mexico, but still my love for F1 surpasses any other series by far. :wink:

donskar

The only series that could distract me from F1 would be a return of the CanAm. Big, super powerful (750-1000 hp) beasts with flames, MOVEABLE wings and flaps, Surtees, Stewart, Amon, Hulme, etc, etc, in McLaren, Porsche, Lola, Ferrari, Chaparral, Shadow.

LMP is great; rallying, too.

For pure, gross, crude, brutal visceral thrill, try standing along a drag strip when top fuelers are racing.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

effuno

Tom wrote:For watching it has to be rallying, The WRC in Finland this year was stunning with the drivers seeming to spend more time in the air than on the ground.
red bull air race must be among your favourites ?? .. :P

someone for A1GPs and go-karts... :!: :D

My list : MotoGPs, 250cc, 125cc, SBK, WRC .. not in any order. I just love watching them all !

I did watch quite lot of A1GP's first 2 seasons as well : South Africa- Verstappen going around france and crashing and then pulling off the same move on feature race on Neel Jani .. that for me has been the best race of them all !

In India we had coverage of motoGp, 125, 250 and A1GP. I was hoping I would watch WRC-live in UK... Sadly, my halls doesnt even have a TV license, it seems... :cry: