Heikki rebuilt at McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
jumaal
jumaal

Heikki rebuilt at McLaren

Hello Folks,

Read this story on PF1, don't you all think this is amusing.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 95,00.html

I mean, Heikki was never such a weak or timid person to be rebuilt especially by McLaren. This is total bull.

But I welcome your comments and opinions if the story has some credibility.
Thanks,

Jumaal

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Re: Heikki Rebuit at McLaren

They cleared the bugs from their previous Finnish robot driver matrix and added an improved PR and speech modules. :D

But first of all it is a brilliant example of Ronspeak™
:mrgreen:
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

It's partially true. Heikki has been under the McLaren influence for a few months now, and since his racing has been OK, then the McLaren system has to work... some. But also remember Heikki has spent his entire racing career (post-karting)in Renault. Renault definitely did cultivate him.
Personally, I see this article as a tool.. somehow Dennis conned the reporter into giving a slanted bias toward McLaren because, well... Briatore has been pissing on Ron's cornflakes too often. You know the game, children do it. One says crap, the other responds with a bigger retaliation, and you wind up with each party trading insults. But in this case it's Ron and Flavio. For the last few months, every time Flavio has spoken about his "pal" Alonso, he usually manages to sneak in something negative about McLaren. So it's just tit for tat, between two (cough I was going to use another word here..) characters.
Most teams try to "develop" drivers, Massa is a good example. And the same goes with Renault and Alonso, or McLaren and Hamilton/Kovalanien.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Also on http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66085

Like DaveKillens says, this is a F1 playground tactic.
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

jddh1

I'll have to agree with Dave here. I mean, look at how Ferrari have "rebuilt" Kimi. :D

checkered

DaveKillens is right

on the money. It's somehow tragicomic that in this we are somehow reduced to a supporting role, entertaining such swipes (and reporting thereof) as if we were an unwitting and vacant intellectual playfield for über-egos to satisfy their whim. Not only that, I also find these sorts of exchanges belittling towards the drivers and ultimately a disservice to the trust between them and their (team- and otherwise) managers. This is distasteful and I hope it stops here. I don't know if it's the "silver lining thing" or what, but I think trash talk was "better" and/or more measured in the "olden days" - perhaps harsh, but ultimately subservient to proper racing. Now, it's all the wrong shades of pride shining through.

Though it has to be said, Ron has been through a lot lately. For a headstrong, purpose oriented individual it's truly hard to face things beyond one's control and perhaps that is also reflected in the tone of the statement - at least as far as it reflects on the human dimension of driver development. With McLaren's commitment and deep understanding of the potential of individuals in racing, surely it's not meant to imply a mechanistic attitude towards the drivers. They wouldn't have gotten this far with that alone. With McLaren's successes and current fighting form it's easy to forget that they remain under considerable strain. I hope they can sufficiently accommodate for that, on a personal and organisatorial level.

RedMaple
RedMaple

jddh1 wrote:I'll have to agree with Dave here. I mean, look at how Ferrari have "rebuilt" Kimi. :D
Seems more like "reborn". 8)

I always found it odd how Flavio dropped Heikki. In 2006 he was touted as the future of Renault but was quickly disregarded by Flavio at the start of 2007. Did something happen to change Flavio's mind? Maybe he thought he would fill Alonso's shoes?

It will be interesting to see how much Heikki will flourish now that Ron has "rebuilt" him. :P

GTO

"And, according to Dennis, the 26-year-old was easily the best choice McLaren had when looking for a replacement." :^o

"But credit to (McLaren chief executive) Martin (Whitmarsh) and the guys who analyse all of the potential candidates, going back to lesser formulae. We look for the patterns. Where was the driving skill? Who was in the best team? When we applied those criteria he (Kovalainen) was miles ahead of any other option." :^o

Good old Ronnie's comments is pure dramatic "RDBS". =D> Pls. pass the wine & cheese.
I'm certain McLaren would have selected Rosberg over Heikki if he was willing & avial. from Williams.

jumaal
jumaal

Exactly my point GTO. Few weeks backs I read a story where McLaren have admitted they had pursued Nico strongly. Only that Williams were not willing to let go Nico at any cost that McLaren had to choose the second best option Heikki (provided Schumy was another option available).

And now they say Heikki is groomed/nurtured/rebuilt into a complete driver.

But I agree with all the members here this BS is trademark RonSpeak and ego clashes.
Thanks,

Jumaal

rkn

Posted in Autosport forum.
Howardt wrote:

You only heard half of the story. All of that spying last year was actually a 2-way information exchange.
Ferrari actually consented to provide data about their car, because Ron had - for the first time ever -
allowed Jean Todt access to him top-secret Finnish Driving Machine programme.

It is said that, deep beneath the bowels of the Paragon Centre, there lies a small box containing the still-beating heart of "Mika", or FDM1 to use the official name.
Like a scene from Terminator, this was used to reconstruct a new and better model, the FDM2, codenamed Kimi.

The FDM2 contained a programming glitch, however. As fast as the "Kimi" was, the eye sensors were overly
sensitive to the light reflected from the silver bodywork of the Mclaren car, and caused a series of
increasingly bizarre failures to finish a race. This put Ron in a difficult position - he realised that the "Kimi" was devastatingly fast, but could only be reliable in a dark-coloured car.

I have intercepted this email trace, proving that there was a 2-way information exchange :
- - - - - -
To : Stepney, Nigel (quisling@theredteamwin.it)
Date : 23rd March 2007
Re : FDM2

Nige,
We found a number of problems caused by the eye sensors being over-exposed to polarised light. You might
want to look at ways to reduce reflections from the nose of the car, which can cause the FDM2 to stay
out too long on flatspotted tyres, or sometimes change down to first gear too soon.
Your marlboro barcode thingy is certainly going to cause a problem, and to be on the safe side you might
want to switch to a darker shade of red too.

Thanks for the gear ratios, by the way - we'll plug them into our sim and see how we get on. I've passed
the info over to our "Non-Caucasian Driving Machine" engineers.

cheers,
Ron
- - - - -

Matters were compounded, of course, with a defection to Renault of one of the founding engineers of the
FDM programme. The blueprint for the FDM3 was already underway, but was stolen and taken to the french
team just a day after Ron had agreen to trade the "Kimi" for Ferrari's car blueprint.

The FDM3 (codename : Heikki) was therefore built and programmed at the Renault factory. The Renault
engineers thought that they had rectified the visual glitch, but there was no easy way to bench-test the light response in the eye sensors, so Renault had to undertake field-testing by including as many colours as possible on the body of the car, using it as a test-card to calibrate visual response.

In taking on the FDM3 to drive the Mclaren, core-level reprogramming was required.

As Autosport report today says :
"Heikki is a guy who was systematically taken apart last year and we have systematically put him
back together again," the McLaren boss told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper on Tuesday.
Hilarious

P_O_L

After rons avid attempts to get willaims banned and accused of cheating at brasil, im quite sure williams would have rather died than to sell rosberg

Also, what the hell is that arrogant talk about heikki being systematically pulled apart last year? To me it looked more he took fisichella apart than anybody else.
Last Tango In Paris

johny

Re: Heikki rebuilt at McLaren

It seems that I'm not the only one tired of your posts P_O_L

Those "overbiased" thoughts and comments don't have any kind of facts that can prove them right, It's classical yellow press junk.

axle
axle

It's all good political posturing...anyone bothering to read too much into it (POL) should really step away from the keyboard.

Don't forget the Red ! at the top right of all the posts that annoy you folks ;)
- Axle

West
West

McLaren was the one who thought there were WMDs in Iraq.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

modbaraban
modbaraban

Kennedy, Chernobyl disaster, 9/11 - that's all Ron.