Someone to buy Toro Rosso ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Someone to buy Toro Rosso ?

Peugeot snooping around thge Paddock

This is a much better opportunity for Toro Rosso. I could see some synergies here. Peugeot could snap up some hybrid technology with an engine and KERS program. A current V8 could be purchased from Cosworth and the money supply to Toro Rosso would be moderate. The whole thing could run on a 150 mil €/a budget and produce benefits in road car hybrids and marketing communication. From what I see in mild hybrid BMW and Merc will probably use the same suppliers for F1 KERS and Peugeot could be aiming to hook into the same development on the cheap.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

zac510
zac510

Why would they bother? The F1 rules are still way too tight. The ACO will free up hybrid regs in a flash and give Peugeot more room to really develop proper hybrid technology in sportscars.. Probably for less money and with far less of the hassles of F1, too!
No good turn goes unpunished.

donskar
donskar

Afraid I must agree with zac510. I DO hope someone steps up for Toro Rosso. Could they just disappear? The world economy is dipping significantly, but the cost of success in F1 isn't. Are any Russian/Indian/Chinese companies likely candiates? Hyundai? Tata?

Peugeot? Remember their last foray into F1? An embarassment. Love to see it happen, but don't think it will.

KERS is one wild card. Developing your own system could be VERY expensive, but sharing technology with one or more other teams dilutes the promotional value.

Tightening the restrictions on aero could INCREASE costs - see the article (grandprix.com) about the next generation of wind tunnels, with Ferrari supposedly near beginning work on an all-new tunnel.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

vyselegend

I agree with zac too. And despite costing far less than F1, the 908 program is quite heavy, I don't see Peugeot having the financial resource to developp a high technology F1 program while dealing with the primary objective of wining Le Mans with the 908.
Also, endurance racing is growing back in a good shape, so the manufacturer is satisfied with the visibility effort that has been made in the serie.

But... There is actually the sister team, Citroën Sport, who is loudly expressing his unhapyness with the WRC management, and is putting pressure (along Ford) by lurking around in other series paddocks, in a threat of leaving the WRC. And that Citroën Sport team is coincidentally bounded with the Red Bull company already, having the Drink manufacturer as official title sponsor.

Anyway that's just some thought, I don't really buy in it too much.

Also, as donskar says, their precedent F1 outing weren't particulary convincing, and their last involvement was a shame indeed. The way Peugeot behaved with Prost is even more dirty than what Honda did to Aguri, which wasnt' very clean IMO.

For that reason I'm not very keen to see Peugeot on a F1 grid.

I think the more likely car manufacturer to get in F1 soon is the corean Hyundai, coming with a Korean GP. That's more Bernie's way.

Trailer23

This topic had been 'dead' for a while, but anyway...

Toro Rosso not for sale - Mateschitz

Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz insists his Formula One teams are not for sale, although he would consider taking on a partner in Toro Rosso.

There was speculation earlier this month that Toro Rosso would be sold to the Abu Dhabi-based International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC), and while its brand CEPSA has appeared as sponsorship on the cars, Mateschitz says there are no plans to sell.

"No," he told the Independent when asked if it is for sale, "although partnerships would not be ruled out, as long as the partner is the right one."

With the senior Red Bull team on the verge of its second championship success in as many years, Mateschitz said he has no plans to sell a stake in that either, but added: "A forecast is difficult and a decision always depends on the wider picture, the politics, influence of F1 shareholders and many other factors".

And he does not think it is likely Red Bull will take on a title sponsor - like Vodafone is to McLaren - as it is "difficult to find one due to the strength of the Red Bull brand".

He added: "The return on investment [for Red Bull] is the marketing value, which depends on the race performance and results."