Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

No, there is mechanical grip, but however it is the main one, and f1 is alot about aerodynamics, putting a DF cap on would essentially standardize the aerodynamics other than striving for efficiency. Meaning mechanical grip would be the deciding factor which I dont believe is a good direction for f1.

Nicky
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

The only reason Aerodynamics is the deciding factor is due to the larger limits on mechanical parts than aerodynamics. a DF cap wouldnt change a damn thing since then instead of searching for df teams will search for a reduction in drag.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pingguest
Pingguest

N12ck wrote:No, there is mechanical grip, but however it is the main one, and f1 is alot about aerodynamics, putting a DF cap on would essentially standardize the aerodynamics other than striving for efficiency. Meaning mechanical grip would be the deciding factor which I dont believe is a good direction for f1.

Nicky
Downforce is not the sole performance parameter in neither general terms nor aerodynamics. In case the amount of downforce will be capped, teams will still try to improve that area in order to reduce aerodynamic drag and to get the allowed amount of downforce at the lowest speed possible, for example by using movable aerodynamic devices.

MIKEY_!

My 2014 nose proposal:
The scale is not great but the general idea is that the bulkhead just ahead of the tires can't have it's bottom above the middle of the wheel. I'm not sure exactly how high that makes the max height of the top of the bulkhead but the drawing gives the general idea. The yellow areas can't contain any bodywork, the blue area has it's top at the middle of the wheel (to help prevent Webber Valencia 2010 style accidents) and must contain a minimum cross section of bodywork (so that the nose tip must be in there somewhere). This idea could be coupled with a military grade windscreen to protect the driver which should look something like the screen on the mclaren mp4/4. What do people think?

*the red lines are the bulkheads
Edit: should I be thanking scarbs for the original pics? I've modified this quite a bit of course.

N12ck

what we are looking at is something like this then :

Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

Looks about right. Is this one you prepared earlier or are you just insanely quick? I have lied to you all, the bottom yellow area doesn't prohibit all bodywork, only bodywork with small radii is banned. You'll have to change the tub a little Nick but other than that it's spot on.

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:Looks about right. Is this one you prepared earlier or are you just insanely quick? I have lied to you all, the bottom yellow area doesn't prohibit all bodywork, only bodywork with small radii is banned. You'll have to change the tub a little Nick but other than that it's spot on.
I just mocked it up quickly
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

=D>

N12ck

MIKEY_! wrote:=D>
it normally takes me no more than 10mins to make a nose :)
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

Maybe we should ban cascades (not difficult) and raise the lower limit of the rear wing bounding box? General reduction in downforce achieved and more of the 1980's (read golden era) look also achieved without stopping technology. Do people like these ideas? Maybe we need to make a new topic regarding this specific set of regulation proposals. I've contacted the mods for their opinion.

N12ck

Did a quick render of it, so you get a better look at it, I think it looks good with cascades :D

Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

The cascades thing was just to reduce DF and simplify the wing design. I think they look good to.

AnthonyG

Sorry if it's the wrong topic, but what are the technical rules for a driver's helmet? I mean shape-wise.
Would for example mini-winglets on the helmet be allowed?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

beelsebob
beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:Sorry if it's the wrong topic, but what are the technical rules for a driver's helmet? I mean shape-wise.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

beelsebob wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:Sorry if it's the wrong topic, but what are the technical rules for a driver's helmet? I mean shape-wise.
I would imagine realistically it's pretty limited, you wouldn't want to strap a big wing to the drivers helmet, you'll break his neck!

There are differing helmet designs which are obviously designed with some aero efficiency in mind, but the emphasis will be on reducing drag, not producing downforce.