Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

So will there be all new aero regs for 2016?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

SoCalWJS

I've seen several articles that the Teams are trying to have the Regulations that take effect in 2016 place less emphasis on Aero and try to get the engines up to around 1000 bhp.

When will there be an Official release on the next Specifications?

M_P
M_P

Just wandering, who makes the rules? I've had a search and it appears to be the FIA (which is what I thought) but someone else is saying it's the teams. It was my understanding that the teams had an input in them that the FIA actually wrote them- surely the teams would never get anywhere it just them writing them?

Thanks

Moose

M_P wrote:Just wandering, who makes the rules? I've had a search and it appears to be the FIA (which is what I thought) but someone else is saying it's the teams. It was my understanding that the teams had an input in them that the FIA actually wrote them- surely the teams would never get anywhere it just them writing them?

Thanks
They are made by committee. One third of the voting rights are the FIA's, one third are FOM's, and one third are the top 6 teams.

turbof1

M_P wrote:Just wandering, who makes the rules? I've had a search and it appears to be the FIA (which is what I thought) but someone else is saying it's the teams. It was my understanding that the teams had an input in them that the FIA actually wrote them- surely the teams would never get anywhere it just them writing them?

Thanks
Quick and simple: before the new concorde agreement, which got into effect I believe last year, the FIA had full authority over the rules. Unless a certained date was passed, they could just push through every rule change they wanted.

However, the FIA reached an agreement with the FOM: basically of the FIA gave 1/3th of its power to the FOM and another 1/3th to 5 permanent teams + 1 of the other teams finishing highest the previous, it'd receive 40 million.

So we have now the FIA with 1/3th of the authority, 6 teams with 1/3th together and the FOM with 1/3th. They decide about the rules in the Strategic Work Group, by majority.

edit; basically what Moose said.
#AeroFrodo

pob

Just to add to turbof1's comment, the FIA receive $40m per year for allowing the Strategy Work Group to make the rules.

ParkerArt

pob wrote:Just to add to turbof1's comment, the FIA receive $40m per year for allowing the Strategy Work Group to make the rules.
That is a very important note because the FiA would be broke without it.

Slife

How do the 6 F1 teams allocate their votes ?

ParkerArt

Slife wrote:How do the 6 F1 teams allocate their votes ?
Depends on what they are voting on. It looks like they are all together in agreeing to 2m wide cars and lower rear wings; however, Mercedes and Williams are going to push for this magical '1000hp' by getting rid of the 100kg/h fuel flow limit where as Renault and Ferrari are likely going to push for slightly different specs. Honda is go to whatever side it feels will give them a better position.

Slife

ParkerArt wrote:
Slife wrote:How do the 6 F1 teams allocate their votes ?
Depends on what they are voting on. It looks like they are all together in agreeing to 2m wide cars and lower rear wings; however, Mercedes and Williams are going to push for this magical '1000hp' by getting rid of the 100kg/h fuel flow limit where as Renault and Ferrari are likely going to push for slightly different specs. Honda is go to whatever side it feels will give them a better position.
So suppose the 1000hp proposal is up for vote.

2/6 are in favor and 4/6 teams are not favor. Does the F1 teams voting block allocate all of its vote to "NO" or does it allocate 1/3 to "YES" and 2/3 to "NO" ? Or does it have some other scheme for how votes work.

pob

It would effectively be 1/3 "YES" and 2/3 "NO": the 6 teams get one vote each; FIA get a 6 vote block; CVC/commerical rights holder (Bernie) get a 6 vote block. The teams would get no advantage in agreeing to all vote the same way.

outer_bongolia

I am very sorry for posting something not exactly on F1 regulations.

Still I would want to compare the beauty of this IndyCar rendering by Honda to virtually any car on the grid at the moment. This just shows how badly written regulations can terribly mess up your eyesight...

The article with more pictures is at http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/10/hond ... -official/
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

FW17

F1 needs a fix

Time FIA and FOM stepped in to save the show

Suggesting a addendum to the fuel flow and energy flow rules to help Ferrari, Renault and any new manufacturer toying with idea of F1

2 MJ energy recovery per lap and a 100 KG per race and 100 kg/hr fuel flow for all cars

Any thing more than 2 MJ should have a equivalent reduction in fuel flow

WaikeCU

Can someone shine some light on those titanium skidplates? Where are those things installed and how are they compared to the 80's and 90's? Was it a complete titanium floor back then?

Manoah2u

outer_bongolia wrote:I am very sorry for posting something not exactly on F1 regulations.

Still I would want to compare the beauty of this IndyCar rendering by Honda to virtually any car on the grid at the moment. This just shows how badly written regulations can terribly mess up your eyesight...

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/G ... 0012-1.jpg

The article with more pictures is at http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/10/hond ... -official/
must be a taste thing. i personally think these indycars are absolutely horrible and beyond ugly and disproportionate.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"