Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Manoah2u wrote:
outer_bongolia wrote:I am very sorry for posting something not exactly on F1 regulations.

Still I would want to compare the beauty of this IndyCar rendering by Honda to virtually any car on the grid at the moment. This just shows how badly written regulations can terribly mess up your eyesight...

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/G ... 0012-1.jpg

The article with more pictures is at http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/10/hond ... -official/
must be a taste thing. i personally think these indycars are absolutely horrible and beyond ugly and disproportionate.
Agree. Looks OK from the front, but the other angles are not very appealing to my eye.

godlameroso

Back to F1, how much of the current improvement is actually down to development and how much is it down to the fact that Pirelli have simply made a higher performing tire than last year? If even part of the lap time gained is simply due to better tires it kind of mocks the entire formula, even the Manor improved versus last year. Why does F1 cost so much when development is so restricted that a team can gain an advantage and maintain it all season? Even if Mercedes stopped developing their car, they have a .7-1 second advantage on most every track, it would take teams until at least Singapore/Suzuka before they could even realistically develop enough to catch up. If they're smart they'll start developing next year's car early because it seems that over the winter is the only time you can actually gain ground with the regulations as choked as they are now.
Saishū kōnā

hollus

Just for the record, Manor are slower in 2015 than in 2014 (as Marussia). Consistently.
Rivals, not enemies.

Javert

hollus wrote:Just for the record, Manor are slower in 2015 than in 2014 (as Marussia). Consistently.
Running old engines, tuned with less power (as they cannot afford the costs of many replacements), having 11 kg more of ballast and a lower heavier nose that damages the airflow .. They are even too good :)

matt21

WaikeCU wrote:Can someone shine some light on those titanium skidplates? Where are those things installed and how are they compared to the 80's and 90's? Was it a complete titanium floor back then?
they are installed on the reference plane flush with the plank.
In the 80ies, the whole underbody was one plane and sat as low as the plank nowadays. The skids were not covered by the regulations, but had also to be flush with the underbody.

pob

Scarbs posted a good pic of the skid blocks in Monaco: https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/602357435274264576

godlameroso

hollus wrote:Just for the record, Manor are slower in 2015 than in 2014 (as Marussia). Consistently.
.5 second difference between fastest lap from Merhi vs Bianchi last year, overall stint times are roughly the same as last year. To be honest I rate Bianchi higher than I rate either Merhi or Stevens.

After doing more searching I came across something interesting, it seems that as far as race pace is concerned Mercedes hasn't improved at all, neither has Williams. Red Bull is actually slower than last year. Ferrari and Lotus are the only teams that have actually gained on last year. Everyone else is more or less the same or improved very little.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

godlameroso wrote:
.5 second difference between fastest lap from Merhi vs Bianchi last year, overall stint times are roughly the same as last year. To be honest I rate Bianchi higher than I rate either Merhi or Stevens.

After doing more searching I came across something interesting, it seems that as far as race pace is concerned Mercedes hasn't improved at all, neither has Williams. Red Bull is actually slower than last year. Ferrari and Lotus are the only teams that have actually gained on last year. Everyone else is more or less the same or improved very little.
probably has something to do with the aero changes regarding the noses. Williams is suffering the most here.
I would thus say that they probably did 'gain' but it is kindof nullified through the aero loss. Knowing aero is redbull's most important department it could be the reason they seem to have suffered the most.

Lotus has gained fields simply by switching to Merc power. Ferrari definately has improved.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Mostly throwing in is tuppence worth:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33033968

If anyone is going to whip F1 in to shape it's Max Mosley. I guess he understands where the smaller teams with smaller budgets are coming from, he is often strapped for cash himself.

WaikeCU

I find it absolutely bullcr*p that if someone is handed a 10 gridspots drop, he'll have to qualify high enough so he can be demoted 10 gridspots, otherwise he'll have to serve the remaining gridspots as a stop-and-go penalty during the race. How is that even racing anymore. It just kills the sport. Once you're at the back of the grid, then you are at the back of the grid. Simple as that.

So now everytime Verstappen has to use a new PU for the remainder of the season he will have to qualify high enough to not have a stop-and-go during the race. Mclaren will have a horrible season, seeing both cars more than often in the pits to serve their stop-and-go.

bhall II
bhall II

Diesel wrote:If anyone is going to whip F1 in to shape it's Max Mosley. I guess he understands where the smaller teams with smaller budgets are coming from, he is often strapped for cash himself.
Classic. =D>

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

WaikeCU wrote:I find it absolutely bullcr*p that if someone is handed a 10 gridspots drop, he'll have to qualify high enough so he can be demoted 10 gridspots, otherwise he'll have to serve the remaining gridspots as a stop-and-go penalty during the race. How is that even racing anymore. It just kills the sport. Once you're at the back of the grid, then you are at the back of the grid. Simple as that.

So now everytime Verstappen has to use a new PU for the remainder of the season he will have to qualify high enough to not have a stop-and-go during the race. Mclaren will have a horrible season, seeing both cars more than often in the pits to serve their stop-and-go.
The reason is the cars at the back of the grid could essentially change engine parts unpenalised. I think the drive through penalties given out this weekend were a bit harsh. I think a forced pit lane start is probably a fair middle ground.

Moose
Moose

Diesel wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:I find it absolutely bullcr*p that if someone is handed a 10 gridspots drop, he'll have to qualify high enough so he can be demoted 10 gridspots, otherwise he'll have to serve the remaining gridspots as a stop-and-go penalty during the race. How is that even racing anymore. It just kills the sport. Once you're at the back of the grid, then you are at the back of the grid. Simple as that.

The reason is the cars at the back of the grid could essentially change engine parts unpenalised. I think the drive through penalties given out this weekend were a bit harsh. I think a forced pit lane start is probably a fair middle ground.
To be fair, the drive through penalties are a lot less harsh than last year's penalties for anyone other than the people at the back. If it had been last year, Verstappen would still have an 11 place grid drop to serve next race.

WaikeCU

Moose wrote:
Diesel wrote:

To be fair, the drive through penalties are a lot less harsh than last year's penalties for anyone other than the people at the back. If it had been last year, Verstappen would still have an 11 place grid drop to serve next race.
But still, I think it should be an automatic start from the pitlane. If F1 is going to further damage its reputation they should continue with what they are doing at the moment by brandishing stop-and-go's.

lkm9719
lkm9719

limit race fuel is what make the driver can't push more , as from 160kg fuel down to 100kg is huge for racing