2008 Jerez Test 22-25 July

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 pm

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Image

BMW using low downforce 2009 ish spec and slicks.

Notice how wide the nose is again. Could this be something we will see next season?


That's the 2007 nose. So, I'm guessing that front wing is either their Monza wing from last year or a modified low-downforce wing from '07.
Image
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Scotracer wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:Image

BMW using low downforce 2009 ish spec and slicks.

Notice how wide the nose is again. Could this be something we will see next season?


That's the 2007 nose. So, I'm guessing that front wing is either their Monza wing from last year or a modified low-downforce wing from '07.


Would the F1.07 nosecone bolt right on the F1.08 chassis, or is that the F1.07 chassis???

Chris
Conceptual
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2007

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Conceptual wrote:
Scotracer wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:Image

BMW using low downforce 2009 ish spec and slicks.

Notice how wide the nose is again. Could this be something we will see next season?


That's the 2007 nose. So, I'm guessing that front wing is either their Monza wing from last year or a modified low-downforce wing from '07.


Would the F1.07 nosecone bolt right on the F1.08 chassis, or is that the F1.07 chassis???

Chris


Well, by the looks of the vortex generators on the sidepods, and other 2008 appendages I'm guessing its the 2008 chassis with 2007 front and rear wings.

As confirmation, in the chassis given by the teams official statement is "BMW Sauber F1.08-06". So, a 2008 chassis with 2006 parts.
Image
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Image
Image
modbaraban
 
Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:50 pm

it was a matter of time for that to happen...
gerhard
 
Joined: 25 Nov 2007

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm

That look even worse than the rest!

We always exepct Ferraris to look good I suppose..
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM
CMSMJ1
 
Joined: 25 Sep 2007
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Ahhh but what ur missing is that this is only for massa to use in the wet as a keel.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!
Sawtooth-spike
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Image

Wow, in this pic we see how low is the bodywork around the rear axle!
I wonder if they try to run front wing more agressively, so far Ferrari was good through the sweepers, so stability may not be the primiry goal.
Last edited by timbo on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timbo
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2007

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 pm

timbo wrote:Image

Wow, in this pic we see how low is the bodywork around the rear axle!


Yup - the introduction of the V8s really helped packaging. I just wonder how much of that will fatten out again when KERS is put back in.
Image
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:24 pm

Any reason for the distinctive fuel cap in Massa's car?

According to BMW's KERS, at least the sidepod area will be squared again... But that should be interesting, where the other teams will put the large/heavy batteries. As close as possible to the engine, for dynamics reason.
pax
yzfr7
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2005

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

yzfr7 wrote:Any reason for the distinctive fuel cap in Massa's car?
It's open. These caps are always very bright and distinctive on the inside so that you could easily notice that it'd opened or failed to close.
modbaraban
 
Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 pm

gerhard wrote:it was a matter of time for that to happen...


I think the top teams are running out of new ideas
Harrelson
 
Joined: 3 Feb 2008

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Harrelson wrote:
gerhard wrote:it was a matter of time for that to happen...


I think the top teams are running out of new ideas


Well it's a good idea -- it reduces yaw sensitivity of the rear-wing which is really useful on tracks with fast corners. Remember, they are copying Newey -- probably the best in the business.
Image
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:08 am

Guys just check out the Mclaren's lap times by Kovy it is almost one second
faster than Ferrari of Kimi
Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren) 1:18.385
Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:19:384
and both were on grooves ...
Suddenly Mclaren is very fast and unbeatable .they have updated their cars with new aeros constantly ...Looks like Mclaren will win this year :shock:
ss.vamsikrishna
 
Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Location: USA

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:43 am

ss.vamsikrishna wrote:Guys just check out the Mclaren's lap times by Kovy it is almost one second
faster than Ferrari of Kimi
Heikki Kovalainen (McLaren) 1:18.385
Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:19:384
and both were on grooves ...
Suddenly Mclaren is very fast and unbeatable .they have updated their cars with new aeros constantly ...Looks like Mclaren will win this year :shock:


I wouldn't read into testing times too much. You don't know what they are testing -- qualifying or race setups, heavy fuel or running on fumes. I expect Mclaren to be fastest but only by a couple of tenths.
Image
'10-'11 Head of Powertrain - Glasgow University Formula Student
Scotracer
 
Joined: 22 Apr 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

PreviousNext

Return to General chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Miguel and 20 guests