LSF1 my 2009 Formula 1 car - allstaruk08

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Carlos

Re: LSF1 my formula 1 car

EDIT - Gecko is right on the money. Blender is the best.
But :D :shock: :D
There's another one called Truespace. Microsoft bought the company a few years ago.
:o :? Don't anyone colapse. But Microsoft gives it away for free. :? :o
:roll: Shocking isn't it? :roll:
Truespace site http://www.caligari.com/
EDIT2 - Microsoft is discontinuing Truespace support. The download is still available but only for a limited time. Not sure how long. If you would like the program, now's the time to download.
Last edited by Carlos on 29 May 2009, 02:27, edited 3 times in total.

Gecko

allstaruk08 wrote:does anyone know of any free 3d software that i could make a car on
The best free sofware I can recommend is Blender ( http://www.blender.org ). It also supports subdivision surfaces which allows one to do rather nice curved shapes with a minimal number of control points. It's not a CAD program but it's more than adequate for 3D "sketches".

allstaruk08

:o they stole my front wing design from last month. well its kinda the same lol

allstaruk08

the latest update lol

wesley123

looks good, but maybe make the car more compact with smaller sidepods
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

allstaruk08

yeah they do look massive on that top right picsture lol

James_graham

This car looks pretty cool.

Is there any dimensions? I work with CATIA and may be able to draft something whilst I'm at work???

James_graham

ESPImperium wrote:allstaruk08 - You inspired me to do a couple of sketches of my own yesterday before i went to work.

Carlos - Thanks for the links to some free graphics software!!!

Thats how real innovations are done, on paper and not on a computer, thats how the best designers and innovators work, its easier to work with paper as some softwares wont do as asked, others will not work the way they are really ment to from experience.

Pencil, paper and pen cant and wont be beaten as there are no limits, baring running out of paper, ink and lead.
Whislt I agree in principle the idea of creating something on a graphics package allows swift changes an unlimited number of times! Skecthes are great for initial drawings and concepts but further down the line it is impracticle to use anything but a computer

allstaruk08

James_graham wrote:This car looks pretty cool.

Is there any dimensions? I work with CATIA and may be able to draft something whilst I'm at work???

nope sorry i just freehanded it

TheMinister

Hmmm... with all this knowledge and processing power, we should design ourselves a car for the 2010 season. Maybe make an entry.... $40 mil budget cap, a quick whip round should do it....

Not sure about those exhausts, Mclaren seem to be the only team running with significantly raised exhausts (off the top of my head, may be wrong).

Why don't teams use the exhaust gas for something useful? Would it be possible to vent it into the space behind the rear tires, where there is absurd levels of turbulent flow, to try and quiet things down a bit? Or perhaps blow it across the tires to keep them hot, especially on rainy days?

czt
czt

TheMinister wrote:Hmmm... with all this knowledge and processing power, we should design ourselves a car for the 2010 season. Maybe make an entry.... $40 mil budget cap, a quick whip round should do it....

Not sure about those exhausts, Mclaren seem to be the only team running with significantly raised exhausts (off the top of my head, may be wrong).

Why don't teams use the exhaust gas for something useful? Would it be possible to vent it into the space behind the rear tires, where there is absurd levels of turbulent flow, to try and quiet things down a bit? Or perhaps blow it across the tires to keep them hot, especially on rainy days?
The problem with using exhaust flow is that it is dependent on engine revs, and so the aerodynamics performance will be related to throttle position. This is one of the reasons that exhausts no longer exit into the diffuser.

allstaruk08

Im downloading the software the car willll be made. is it hard to get started with these programs iv never used anything like these before. im using truespace by the way

Conceptual

I mentioned hanging the rear wing onto the shark-fin last year, and was told that it would never work by the brilliant members of these boards. Then this year, Red Bull did it, and actually won some races with it.

My thing is that I would mount it in the center like Red Bull does, but I would bring the endpplates straight down about 1/3 of the distance, and then fold them back towards the center, and connect them to the cutout notch on the shark-fin, thus making a forward beam-wing type, that would couple with the DDD.

It would be cool to see if someone could make a model of this, since upon upgrading to Windows7, I lost my ability to run CATIAv5.

If anyone wants to do this, I would love to see it!

timbo

Conceptual wrote:I mentioned hanging the rear wing onto the shark-fin last year, and was told that it would never work by the brilliant members of these boards. Then this year, Red Bull did it, and actually won some races with it.
Are you sure it is actually hanged? I don't think it bears any loads.
Conceptual wrote:My thing is that I would mount it in the center like Red Bull does, but I would bring the endpplates straight down about 1/3 of the distance, and then fold them back towards the center, and connect them to the cutout notch on the shark-fin, thus making a forward beam-wing type, that would couple with the DDD.
I believe there's limit on closed profiles you could use in that area, therefore no endplate-wing is possible.

wesley123

now we into such dimensions, is the width of the second deck of a diffuser limited? cause then you could connect the end plates to the second diffuser deck etc.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender