Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

myurr

Re: Lewis third, Jarno handed 25 sec penalty

Autosport reporting that it was for overtaking whilst under the safety car. Apparently he ran off track whilst under safety car conditions, hence Hamilton getting ahead of him, and then took the place back.

JamesS

myurr wrote:Autosport reporting that it was for overtaking whilst under the safety car. Apparently he ran off track whilst under safety car conditions, hence Hamilton getting ahead of him, and then took the place back.
Aye, towards the end of the race there was confusion about this, because the timings showed him 3rd, then Jarno popped up in 3rd pushing him back down to 4th.

Hudsonhawk.

not that it will happen but should Prawn GP have issues in France at the court case, HAMILTON COULD BE THE AUSTRALIAN GP WINNER...... :shock: :D :D

NDR008

Considering Hamilton let him pass him back (according to Mercedes' quote), I think 25sec penalty was too harsh - especially considering under safety car - 25sec is a far way back since there are no gaps in the field....

NDR008

Hudsonhawk. wrote:not that it will happen but should Prawn GP have issues in France at the court case, HAMILTON COULD BE THE AUSTRALIAN GP WINNER...... :shock: :D :D
Even if court did swing that way, Toyota would lose their position anyway, so Hamilton would have STILL been made AU GP winner.

Paul

Interesting thing, Jarno oficially was given a stop&go penalty. As far as I can remember from last year, you can't protest these, but Toyota did appeal the decision. Have the ruled changed, or have they gone the McLaren way of useless protesting?

majicmeow

Technically speaking, didnt Lewis pass Jarno under the SC first?

If there is a no passing law, then Lewis should have waited for Jarno to regain his composure. Unless Jarno was damaged and in a state unable to finish the race, Lewis should never have passed him in the first place.

Total BS... stupid FIA. They're just trying to punish the "difuser 3" but didnt have any grounds to get at BGP.

damnit... what a way to RUIN!!! an amazing GP.

My 2¢

ISLAMATRON

majicmeow wrote:Technically speaking, didnt Lewis pass Jarno under the SC first?

If there is a no passing law, then Lewis should have waited for Jarno to regain his composure. Unless Jarno was damaged and in a state unable to finish the race, Lewis should never have passed him in the first place.

Total BS... stupid FIA. They're just trying to punish the "difuser 3" but didnt have any grounds to get at BGP.

My 2¢
You can pass a car under the SC if they go off track or are disabled... What was everyone supposed to do? sit behind a 3 wheeling Vettel? No you pass him. Truilli went off track.

That being said stop & go is too Harsh, they should have just put him back behind Lou... unless he passed at speed in the accident zone.

myurr

majicmeow wrote:Technically speaking, didnt Lewis pass Jarno under the SC first?

My 2¢
No, that's just ridiculous. If Trulli left the track then there's no way that Lewis should have waited.

That said I do think the penalty is too harsh and they should have just switched the two places around as it clearly wasn't a dangerous move just the drivers struggling to get to grips with the rules and with no one to turn to for clear unambiguous direction.

Motley

If there is a no passing law, then Lewis should have waited for Jarno to regain his composure.
Trulli went off the race track, job done...

majicmeow

You can pass a car under the SC if they go off track or are disabled... What was everyone supposed to do? sit behind a 3 wheeling Vettel? No you pass him. Truilli went off track.

That being said stop & go is too Harsh, they should have just put him back behind Lou... unless he passed at speed in the accident zone.
Good point... I'm just still upset about the Toyota's penalty in quali and this only compounded the issue. What you say makes total sense and I agree that the penalty should at least be 4th place..

De Jokke

Here's where it happened: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKS9BppALQ[/youtube]
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

ISLAMATRON

both the toyos failed to keep it on the track... good find on the video, thanks

De Jokke

You're welcome.

I noticed it too, it seems like they both got caught up or had troubles with heating the tires...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!