After three races: who's still in the title hunt?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
De Jokke

After three races: who's still in the title hunt?

Who has still a chance to become WDC this year:

I would say: Button, Vettel, Hamilton (if the mac keeps on closing the gap and fast!)

Barri has made a very poor start, if he can't raise his game fast, he's done.

Webber gets beaten by vettel so game over.

Toyota has started with falling back, I think.

Kovy too slow

massa and kimi (by the time the ferrari gets up to speed + reliable, it'll be too late)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: After three races: who's still in the title hunt?

Webber does have more experience than Vettel. A lot more. That kinda stuff pays off late in the game.

Really tough to say. Depends a lot on what happens these next weeks and who makes the biggest advancements.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Shredcheddar
Shredcheddar

Toyota. Although I don't know what was so wrong with Jarno in China. But I think Toyota is #3 for now, but I fear their best chance at a maiden race win is long gone. I'm very interested to see how Toyota specifically develops over the course of the season.

Webber done? I'm not seeing that. I think RBR would be excited to have him as a solid second driver. A 1-2 finish is pretty much all you can ask of your two drivers. Webber's certainly at the other end of his career but you have to consider how you'd justify getting rid of Webber for... someone else.

I think we can all agree that Bourdais and Piquet Jr. are looking pretty much done.

djos

De Jokke wrote:Who has still a chance to become WDC this year:

I would say: Button, Vettel, Hamilton (if the mac keeps on closing the gap and fast!)

Barri has made a very poor start, if he can't raise his game fast, he's done.

Webber gets beaten by Vettel so game over.

Toyota has started with falling back, I think.

Kovy too slow

massa and kimi (by the time the ferrari gets up to speed + reliable, it'll be too late)
Write Webber off at your peril, every other Team mate Webber has had have made that mistake and been soundly beaten - the only 2 to survive being his team mate is Nick Heidfeild & Niko Rosberg neither of which are having a great time in F1 atm!

Vettel is definately a match for Webber but I think you'll find on more challenging circuits like Monaco where experience is important, Webber wil come out on top.
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Webber...hmm.. I have gained some respect for him now, but meh... too soft.. Vettel to kind, "Oh I'm sorry guys" :cry: you must be kidding me?1 :lol: those kinda guys don't win championships.. little boys... :roll: You have to cut throats and kick balls to win this year.. the competition is going to be scary.

It is so obvious who will get the championship. :wink:

People are just being misguided by these early turn of events Sometimes I just sit back and chuckle to myself 8) . Look at the big picture.

Just think deeply about it...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

As you say that; i find Vettel to be faster than webber overall,he will succeed once he is on poll with no one to pressure him, but i dont know if he has the experience to deal with pressure like webber. Webber is starting to impress me, his efforts seems more noticeable than his team mate's, especially in china. He is the most solid driver this year so far.
So its raw speed and exuberance vs experience and consistency.
the same story applies to barichello and button on the brawn team. I expect some infighting to be taking place with these teams later down in the season. The old veteran drivers look like they have unfinished business this year and they know the clock is ticking.
For Sure!!

lkocev

I still think that it really is a little bit too early to be able to say who is in the title hunt. Certainly Jenson Button has started excellent this season, and I have been a fan of him for quite some time now, I think he will continue to put in excellent performances. On the same hand his team mate Barrichello has the same car and I think can be just as quick as Jenson on his day. Even I think its early to say that Lewis is in with a chance but, Alonso, Raikkonen, or Massa don't have one at all, it is not impossible that Ferrari and Renault turn things around, it might not appear likley, but I think most people know that predicting/gambling in F1 is not a good way to make a living...

For me at the time being it is hard to go past Jenson Button at the moment, so far in these three races he has done an excellent job and raced extremerly well. I also think that there is no reason why both Webber and Vettel can't be in the hunt for the championship, and I think Red Bull are staring down the barrel of a very positive year. I think that if McLaren can keep improving the way they are, then they will be a force to be reckoned with. There is no reason why Kovalainen can't suprise a few people this year, especially if he can continue putting in great, calm-headed and disciplined performances like he did in China.

NDR008
NDR008

I think though rain driving shows a lot of driver skill, the car has a big contributing factor in the majority dry racing and I think maybe a bit too much is being concluded considering it was a wet race.

a) I think Bahrain would be a better estimate since it should be a garanteed dry race.

b) If anything - spain - when most teams will have all their major refresh upgrades.

Roland Ehnström

It will be Button vs. Vettel this season.

xpensive
xpensive

Come Barcelona, Buttons fifteen minutes will be up.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Roland Ehnström wrote:It will be Button vs. Vettel this season.
This is what I think as well. Webber isn't as hot as Vettel. It is no coincidence that Vettel scored two wins versus Webbers zero. Sebastian is very complete in his skills. He is technical and bloody good at developing a car with the engineers. He could be the natural successor to Michael Schumacher. The Red Bull is the fastest single diffusor car and Newey is working flat out to make it the fastest double diffusor soon.

Brawn made a good start, but I don't see a lot of potential to come from development. Button will certainly stay in the race for some time. I don't know what will happen when we have hot races in Europe.

BMW may be the dark horse when KERS will become a more decisive factor later in the season. A pity they don't have a guy of Alonso's caliber.

In the second row I see Alonso, Glock and Hamilton in there with a chance for the championship.

I would have loved to see Nico score higher but it looks like Williams are not strong anough to turn the double diffusor advantage into points. So there is not much hope they will get it right later in the season when they bring their mechanical/electric KERS. Nico will switch teams next year I guess. He could replace Heidfeld at BMW un less they get their hands back on Vettel.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

But BMW did have caliber WB, but for some reason they fired Jaques, possibly because he was outpacing Heidfeld.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djos

WhiteBlue wrote:
Roland Ehnström wrote:It will be Button vs. Vettel this season.
This is what I think as well. Webber isn't as hot as Vettel. It is no coincidence that Vettel scored two wins versus Webbers zero. Sebastian is very complete in his skills. He is technical and bloody good at developing a car with the engineers. He could be the natural successor to Michael Schumacher. The Red Bull is the fastest single diffusor car and Newey is working flat out to make it the fastest double diffusor soon.
Dont forget Webbo would have 1 win on the board had it not been for Vettel ramming him in Japan!
"In downforce we trust"

djos

xpensive wrote:But BMW did have caliber WB, but for some reason they fired Jaques, possibly because he was outpacing Heidfeld.
The only reason Nick is in F1 is because he is German and helps Mario justify BMW being in F1! Webbo scored 8 more points than Nick in the same car back in 05' despite Williams robbing him a P2 at Monaco by pitting Nick before him (ended up with P3 as he & Nick were stuck behind Nando)! [-X
"In downforce we trust"

andartop
andartop

I wouldn't rule out the Ferrari duo just yet: Massa was quite fast before retiring, and we all know a wet race is not where he usually shines.. I don't think we've seen the true potential of this car yet.
And I wouldn't be too hasty to rule out Kubica either.
I believe we'll only get a glimpse of the true order AFTER Spain.
I expect Ferrari, McLaren and BMW to improve a great deal throughout the season.
So, for the last five races I think (and really hope!) we 'll have plenty of drivers challenging for the title: Button, Rubens, Vettel, maybe Webber, either Trulli or Glock, Alonso, Massa, Hamilton and hopefully Kubica or Kimi.
Of the lot, I'm afraid it looks like Button has the best chance provided the car is as fast on a hot race and that they 'll keep developing it.
What I'd really LOVE to see though would be Vettel a WDC! I think the kid is really that good, and he is definitely a fighter.
I'd also love to hear what Rubens will say if he has to play second driver to Button, or if Button wins it!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft