After three races: who's still in the title hunt?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
De Jokke

Re: After three races: who's still in the title hunt?

It's been decided: button en brawn gp, season is over for the rest. Almost double points in wdc and wcc, how boring...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

mike
mike

if 1 of Ferrari's driver can win more races than button then there could be the case that the more wins wins the drivers world championship win 8 of the last 9 and u r almost guarantee WDC provided button stop winning. if then can Ferrari make most of their win a 1 2 that will be at least 7point/race in 8 races Ferrari would be the WCC leader.

so if Ferrari wants to win WDC Button can not finish 1st, and i think it is probable was Ferrari is seemly fast in all circuit as in, their car runs equal speed on most circuit they are both competitive in high speed and low speed (spain and monaco). so if they can only find more downforce than brawn, which is likely they could dominate like the brawns do now, but just make sure they have to pick a no.1 now to give him all the wins

ISLAMATRON

Ciro Pabón wrote:If the white cars were red and instead of Button the name were Schumacher, I would confuse this championship with the 2004 one... O:)

Interesting the resurrection of Ferrari... on a track low on downforce. Will it continue? Perhaps they will start to beat Brawn if they can put together the aerodynamic package. I think that "gripwise" Ferrari is the best. On the other hand, have you seen the inverted keel design of Brawn for the rear suspension? Notable.

Gripwise the MCL was alot better than Ferrari in the rain in Malaysia & China and possibly in Monaco... I think Ferrari will be pretty much be back to where they were in Spain, but they did have a pretty mistake free race in Monaco, but it was a terrible race strategy... Why race Kimi for 15 laps on the first set of softs, then 38 laps on the second, an then 25 on the super softs, it makes no sense, with a better tire strategy KIMI could have had 2nd.

donskar
donskar

Miguel wrote:I'm sorry, but I feel only Ferrari may mount a credible threat against Brawn. It's clear to me that once (if) other teams catch Brawn pacewise, they will favour the faster driver with a good car and the one with most points (Button), but I can't see any team other than Ferrari winning this year on sheer pace. 100 points should be enough to be world champion, and Button only needs 50 points in 12 races. Compare that to the 90 that Alonso, Hamilton or the Ferrari drivers need. And then factor in current car pace.

I may have to eat my words once the RBR DDD proves its worth in Turkey, but it seems to me that Ferrari is closer to Brawn right now.
+1 A perceptive and VERY SAD commentary on this season.

Even during the Ferrari "dream team" era there was always better competition than we are seeing this year. Has an F1 season ever ended earlier? (I hope to be proven wrong.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Metar

Another race or two and FOTA can tell Button to throttle down, having proven their point about a win-based system.

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:Another race or two and FOTA can tell Button to throttle down, having proven their point about a win-based system.
What point has been proven? With a 16 point lead over Rubans if Rubans won the next 7 races in a row with JB finishing 2nd JB would still be leading the WDC by 2 points even though Rubans would have 2 more wins... Nothing has been proven about anything.

If JB won 5 out of 6 races as h has and then wins the next 2, win based system or points system JB should clearly be the WDC.

So if Vettle won the last 9 races of the year would he not deserve it?

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote:What point has been proven?
That the title could be totally over just over half distance through the season.

ISLAMATRON

kilcoo316 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:What point has been proven?
That the title could be totally over just over half distance through the season.
And so it would be with the points as well, If a driver wins all of the first half races he wins the WDC with points or "gold medals", and he certainly deserves it... what is so hard to understand? The only difference is that while in a tight championship the points system as it stands is decided by DNF's whereas in the same tight championship the "Gold medals" system puts the emphasis on wins.

How do you want your championship decided? Should wins or DNF's be the biggest deciding factor?

I am not for the "gold medal" system as it has been proposed, but I do prefer its method of determining the championship.

Metar

Tron, we all remember you're a diehard supporter of win-biased systems. So much virtual blood and sweat was put into it, why argue it again?

And no, under a points system, the other driver can be exactly 18 points behind halfway through the championship. That's far closer than requiring a perfect win from another driver to beat 1st place.

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:Tron, we all remember you're a diehard supporter of win-biased systems. So much virtual blood and sweat was put into it, why argue it again?

And no, under a points system, the other driver can be exactly 18 points behind halfway through the championship. That's far closer than requiring a perfect win from another driver to beat 1st place.

Again making DNF's more important than wins... and again I ask is that how you want your championships decided?