Random idea to make F1 more interesting...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
The FOZ

Random idea to make F1 more interesting...

This would never happen, and wouldn't work for a few reasons, but imagine this for a moment.

1. The racers are employed by the league, not teams.

2. The pit crews are employed by the teams.

3. Teams employ their own test drivers.

4. At the beginning of each race weekend (including FPs), drivers are assigned to random cars through a random draw. You can even make a press event of it.

5. FP, Quali, and Race day happen as though the drivers are part of the team for whose car they are driving.

Thusly, the drivers championship becomes a true drivers championship, completely decoupled from the constructors championship.

The viewers get a much better view of who the best drivers are, and also which cars are best.

Teams have no agenda other than to win the constructors championship, and drivers have no agenda other than to win the WDC.

This eliminates jockeying for a better team, which is really a disruptive pursuit, ie Alonso for the past few years...

Once again, this is completely left-field, but I felt like throwing this out for conversation's sake.

ISLAMATRON

Re: Random idea to make F1 more interesting...

start each race according to the inverted WDC standings...imagine that the Force Indias on pole for the whole year!

Not that would be crazy!

bhall

Max Mosley floated this idea in an interview a couple of years ago. Sadly, I can't find an article.

The FOZ

ISLAMATRON wrote:start each race according to the inverted WDC standings...imagine that the Force Indias on pole for the whole year!

Not that would be crazy!
Think about what Schumi or Alonso would be like in that car...it's not a great car, but I wonder how bad with a truly good driver?

Also: I wonder what the impact of having more drivers for feedback would have for constructors? Would it help teams by giving them a wider range of feedback, or would it hurt them by giving them too much information, lacking continuity and direction?

nae
nae

has max finally gone and got himself an account here ?
..?

DaveKillens

Car swapping plan to spice up races

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 13627.html

Max Mosley, the president of the sport's world governing body, the FIA, has put forward a proposal that would see each Formula One driver racing once in every car next season. The proposal comes as officials consider ways to prevent any team from dominating in the way Ferrari have this year.

Max Mosley, the president of the sport's world governing body, the FIA, has put forward a proposal that would see each Formula One driver racing once in every car next season. The proposal comes as officials consider ways to prevent any team from dominating in the way Ferrari have this year.

"There is an argument for each driver driving each car once," Mosley said. "This has an advantage because then we would see who are the best drivers and teams. If there are means to make it more interesting for the public, then we have to talk about them."

Mosley's proposal comes in the wake of another controversial recommendation, to introduce a handicapping system by adding ballast to the fastest car. Formula One's commercial chief, Bernie Ecclestone, has proposed that the fastest car would carry an extra kilogram of weight corresponding to its lead in the season's points race.

This was proposed on Oct 10, 2002
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Giblet

Mosley flirted with that in an interview again in F1 Racing magaizine about 2 years ago.

It's on his mind like a prison themed hooker, and if he could, he would.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

The FOZ

nae wrote:has max finally gone and got himself an account here ?
Har har har...

woohoo

Stop trying to fix stuff that is not broken.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

roost89

woohoo wrote:Stop trying to fix stuff that is not broken.
Seconded.

Also I don't see a need to make F1 more interesting. It's more than interesting enough as it is! Especially with the new cars, new looks, spiced up recent racing and new names at the top.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

kilcoo316

The FOZ wrote:Random idea to make F1 more interesting...

How about go watch touring cars if you want drivers ballasted to keep the thing competitive?

andartop

Here's a crazy idea to make F1 more interesting: how about NOT changing the rules for a couple of seasons so the Teams can actually evolve the cars???
Shocking isn't it?
And I mean, NOT CHANGE THEM AT ALL!!!

ps NOT EVEN THE QUALIFYING FORMAT!!!

phew...that would be WILD!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

DaveKillens

Naw Andartop, your expectations are unrealistic. Currently it appears that Formula One is 75% politics and drama, and the remaining 25% about the racing.
How about a reality show, sort of like "The Osbornes". But it would cover Bernie's messy divorce and Max's whipping sessions, and be called, how about "The Old Couple"? :wink:
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

donskar

DaveKillens wrote:Naw Andartop, your expectations are unrealistic. Currently it appears that Formula One is 75% politics and drama, and the remaining 25% about the racing.
How about a reality show, sort of like "The Osbornes". But it would cover Bernie's messy divorce and Max's whipping sessions, and be called, how about "The Old Couple"? :wink:
&*!~%#$~! There's 25% racing?? How have I missed 15%??
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

allstaruk08

how about massive swinging hammer's that the drivers had to avoid now that would get people watching lol