OWG the start of the split row?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

OWG the start of the split row?

I can't help thinking the OWG is the factor that has led to this split between the teams and FIA. It has made this year's racing so much better, the cars are simpler and drivers are having to drive.

I think it made the teams realise that working together and developing rules driven by engineering principles gave a better product. Meanwhile BE and MM were spouting off about medals and making idiots of themselves when talking about technical stuff.

You can imagine the looks around the table "heh, we are really bright intelligent guys, why do we jump through silly hoops because those clowns tell us to? This should be about racing, ditch the clowns and lets get our respect and creditability back"

WhiteBlue

Re: OWG the start of the split row?

Sure, and where do you think the OWG got their brief and objectives? The teams just stopped their usual stalling and vetos because doing nothing had seen the FIA implementing more radical changes like mobile rear wings and wider tracks.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

nudger
nudger

the split has been caused by mosley taking one step too far. they have many problems with the way things have been handled, but they would live with all of them, except for the dual spec regulations.
i dont think there will be breakaway series...its way too complicated to orchestrate in too short a time... but there are numerous existing series any of them could switch to

Ian P.
Ian P.

As for the OWG, I think the cars could have been much simpler as Ross B. pointed out. The teams that didn't read the rules carefully have been caught out, but they will adapt. Complain about the costs...yes. But they will catch up.
I fully understand the teams approach to the issues at hand. I am sure if BE paid out the $$$ he is supposed to things may be a bit different.
Having said I support the teams, rest assured there is NO OTHER EVENT on television that will make me get up at 4:30 on a Sunday morning. Well maybe the TDF ..... but no other. Did I mention Beach Volleyball....
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

Henning
Henning

What is TDF?

Why is everybody using so many abbreviations? It takes me twice as long to read a post because it's not always obvious what the abbreviation is.

gibells
gibells

Torquay Dancing Final?

Ciro Pabón

TDF: Tour de France (it could be Theatre Development Fund)
BE: Bernard Charles Ecclestone (it could be British European, the airline)
MM: Max Rufus Mosley (it could be millimetre)
OWG: Overtaking Working Group (it could be One World Government)
FIA: Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (it could be Federation Internationale des Acteurs)

Why people use them? I don't know, perhaps touch typing should be taught at school.
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Henning wrote:What is TDF?

Why is everybody using so many abbreviations? It takes me twice as long to read a post because it's not always obvious what the abbreviation is.
and your language is English... imagine how complicated is that to us down here!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

gridwalker
gridwalker

Ciro Pabón wrote:TDF: Tour de France (it could be Theatre Development Fund)
BE: Bernard Charles Ecclestone (it could be British European, the airline)
MM: Max Rufus Mosley (it could be millimetre)
OWG: Overtaking Working Group (it could be One World Government)
FIA: Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (it could be Federation Internationale des Acteurs)

Why people use them? I don't know, perhaps touch typing should be taught at school.
Given the way that I've seen people referring to the Overtaking Working Group, you'd think they were the One World Government!

Last season, it was almost as if some pundits expected them to fix the economy, bring about world peace & to pull a cure for cancer out of their collective asses as an encore!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Ian P.
Ian P.

Appologies for the TLA and the expectation that folks would understand the TDF reference. This is the one in Aug that is broadcast on OLN and BBC (or is it on ITV).
I would be the first (not OAO) to promote the idea of dispensing with TLAs(Three Letter Accronyms). This nonsense needs to stop RFN.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

nae
nae

pmsl :lol:
..?

zac510
zac510

I have mentioned before that to me involvement in the OWG seems to have meant that you are not in a position to exploit the rules in the way that Brawn, Williams and Toyota did. This is because you wrote the rules, you either follow them literally or don't want to rock the boat by going against what you wrote.
No good turn goes unpunished.

donskar
donskar

While we are on abbreviations . . . PLEASE remember that a driver with LOOSE seat belts could LOSE the race.

LOOSE and LOSE are different, OK? errrrr d'accord?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Henning
Henning

Sorry for the rant guys. I was getting very confused and frustrated with not being able to follow some posts.

Love your reply Ian P. :D