Need a bit of tech data on Monaco GP circuit for Historics!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
agbennett11
agbennett11

Need a bit of tech data on Monaco GP circuit for Historics!

New to forum, so hello.....! I'm running a March 761 at Monaco next year and could do with finding out the radius (whole profile would be nice but max rad ok) of the tunnel - can anyone help? Ta! Al

RH1300S
RH1300S

Re: Need a bit of tech data on Monaco GP circuit for Historics!

If you mean the radius of the corner - you can go on google earth and make a pretty good approximation with the measure tool.

Some computer games have accurate track models - it's possible to work out radii from the model itself (approximate).

How accurate would you need? Using the google earth technique - you might surmise that the tightest part has a radius of about 250M - but it's a guestimate.

If you mean the size of the hole - I'd be really interested to know why you are asking (interesting question). IMHO - the car should fit ok ;)

Good luck with the race =D>

agbennett11
agbennett11

Aaah google earth - can't see wood for trees, will have a look!! And yep it is the radius of the corner, i'm pretty sure the car will fit too!!!

Using 1976 technology, it is apparently quite a 'bottle twitcher' to go thru there flat, so we are looking at where we can test with similar entry/rad/exit scenarios.

Thanks for help!! Al

machin

Eerrrr.. won't the tunnel obscure the road inside the tunnel?!

Otherwise this is a technique I've used before... except I copy and paste the track image into AutoCad, scale it, and then draw an arc at each corner representing the racing line, and then interrogate the arc to give me the Radius... from that I've been able to quite accurately predict cornering speeds based on the typical maximum cornering G readings I've previously recorded from my data-logger...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Ciro Pabón

Sorry for posting all this again, I hope I don't bore to death some members of this site... :)

I've done the same Machin says, but for Catalunya. The files include all radii, straight length and differentiates between spiral transition curves and circular segments.

Catalunya AutoCAD drawing Zip file, 76Kb

Catalunya AutoCAD drawing with photographs Zip file, 1.5 Mb (you have to extract the jpg images included to the same directory where you extract the dwg file).

I found a difference between the length calculated in AutoCAD and the length measured with theodolite of only 7 meters in a total lenght of 4.734 m. That's an error of less than 0.1%.

The zip files above include a simple Excel file with info about Gs, taking the info of Brembo about braking zones and my calculations of radii. It can serve you as an example or first approximation.

To achieve this impressive result, :wink: I have a couple of recommendations in my personal website (it's a little complicated, unless you're familiar with GIS software. I might find the time to help you, if you cannot get satisfactory results):

Restitution of tracks using satellite photos

In short, if you draw a line in Google Earth, you can extract the coordinates of the points you've drawn from the KML file Google produces. You can convert these coordinates from geographic coordinates (degrees, minutes, seconds) to planar coordinates (meters) using ArcGis or some other software. So, you get the exact positions of the reference points you've drawn in Google Earth. Then you can locate with precision the pictures in AutoCAD (instead of stretching until you find a match, visually, as machin explains). This process is called "orthorectification".

You can also simply take the coordinates (in meters) of some points you put by hand on top of the picture and draw them in AutoCAD (entering the coordinates to draw them). These points serve you as references to "stretch" the image until the points drawn in GEarth match the points drawn in AutoCAD.

I strongly recommend to print the Google Earth image to the MID printer in Windows (the one named Microsoft Office Document Image Writer), using the largest size you can (configure the printer, use personal size, 90 cm long, I think). You produce a MID file. Export it to TIFF using the MID image software that will open after you "print" the image. This way you get 5.000 pixels pictures. To "do" Catalunya, I "took" three pictures (I think) that you can see in the file linked above.

This is a snapshot of the end product (before the last modifications to the track):

Just in case, I have build over the years a file with the location of over 700 tracks in Google Earth that you might find useful. It includes all F1 tracks ever, IRL and NASCAR tracks for last year and over 600 other tracks. It also has the location of some F1 factories and testing tracks:

Ciro's Circuits

In many of the tracks (I think all F1 tracks, at least) I've included a "lap around the circuit" line (that you can use to find the "reference points" I mentioned before).

If you choose to take a "virtual lap", change the angle of the camera and the distance, and use the "play" button at the bottom of the Google Earth list, to the left of the GEarth screen. Here you have the instructions:

Instructions to view "my" tracks

You can find a link to my site at most of the articles on F1 tracks in Wikipedia.

Finally, I use a PC and an old Brembo card, as machin does, to set up my old (also) kart. It works wonders, if you want to scare the competition... :D
Ciro

alleyoop
alleyoop

thanks Ciro, your Google Earth file
"Ciro’s Racing Circuits" is a great resource!

nae
nae

alleyoop wrote:thanks Ciro, your Google Earth file
"Ciro’s Racing Circuits" is a great resource!
indeed it is

kept me amused for ages now

cheers Ciro
..?

agbennett11
agbennett11

Ciro, thats brilliant, thanks very much - will have a detailed look through over the weekend - massively interesting!! Wish i'd have known about this for Budapest in 2007... Whats you r email address Ciro?

Al

Ciro Pabón

agbennett11 wrote:Ciro, thats brilliant, thanks very much - will have a detailed look through over the weekend - massively interesting!! Wish i'd have known about this for Budapest in 2007... Whats you r email address Ciro?

Al
Check your messages at this forum.
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

This is a message for Mr.E:

SCREW TILKE!
CIRO is the future

Bravo Ciro! =D>
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Ciro Pabón

Oh, c'mon. :roll:
Ciro