Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sennafan24
sennafan24

Re: Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driv

SectorOne wrote:I think you are spot on, nice post.

I´ve always said this, Hamilton for me is the fastest drivers since Senna.
Alonso, undoubtedly the best. I mena he´s got the full package.

So for me it comes down to fastest vs best. And i choose fastest and i think Hamilton in equal cars would trump anyone.
Thank you

Lewis like Senna is a terrible teammate to have, as you are not going to win the battle in qualifying very often. You have to hope Lewis is off form, his strategy goes wrong or DNF's or you are going to have a rough time. Raw talent for me is related to pure speed, and Lewis has that over everyone at the moment.

Of course performance is relative to the car.

Despite this I do consider Vettel to be a complete driver also, just no to the extent of Alonso.

Mandrake
Mandrake

To me there are currently 4 very complete drivers:

Lewis Hamilton: Always fast. If on one of his favourite tracks very hard to beat to the pole. Very good at track battles and overtaking. Sometimes a bit hot headed (vs Massa and recently taking his radio conversations). Not too good at smooth driving.

Fernando Alonso: Very good racecraft. Good and clean overtakes. Able to maximise his material. Sometimes cracking under pressure (see 2010 or 2012 en of season, where he was beaten by Massa many times).

Kimi Raikkonen: Very consistent, strong race pace and smooth driving style. Sometimes able to outperform his material. Lacks one-lap pace and overtaking aggressivity (does that word exist?)

Sebastian Vettel: Incredible one-lap pace, always able to stretch out that extra bit. Very strong racepace and race craft when in front. Also very strong under pressure (2012 final) Lacks overtaking skills, sometimes a bit hot headed.

I do not see Button anywhere close to the 4 above. He does have his moments, but lacks overall consistency over the years.

From the 4 above Hamilton and Vettel are on their ways to improve even more whereas Alonso for me does go backwards. Hamilton is a lot more controlled, a lot more matured. Vettel has shown very good overtakings in the last months and has taken DNFs with a lot of dignity. He's probably on his way to the completest of the drivers at the moment, at least in combination with the current car.
Alonso however has not stood out from the second half of last year anymore. There were glimpses of his excellence, but in the majority of the cases he was only slightly above average. Lastly, Kimi is a bit hard to judge. If his car was just that tiny bit better he might have gooten closer to the WDC than he did so far and I fear that this year it is going to be the same. How much of that is down to the car only having a large variance in performance or how much variance his own performance has I cannot judge.

LionKing
LionKing

SectorOne wrote:Knowing the various stories like 2011-2012 i´d say Hamilton comfortably destroyed Button.
Sure Lewis comfortably destroyed Button while getting outscored at the same time.

and in 2011 Lewis made many mistakes and had quite a few accidents. Button beat him fair and square that year.

Even in 2010 Jenson's first year it was 242-214 in favor of Lewis, 3 wins each so hardly any destroying....

sennafan24
sennafan24

LionKing wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Knowing the various stories like 2011-2012 i´d say Hamilton comfortably destroyed Button.
Sure Lewis comfortably destroyed Button while getting outscored at the same time.

and in 2011 Lewis made many mistakes and had quite a few accidents. Button beat him fair and square that year.

Even in 2010 Jenson's first year it was 242-214 in favor of Lewis, 3 wins each so hardly any destroying....
2011 Button did beat Lewis fair and square. It was Lewis at his worst and Jenson at his very best (I believe Jenson may have peaked as a driver between 2010-2011)

That said, despite the small gap in points overall, in terms of performance I felt Lewis was the better driver head to head due to the amount of times Lewis retired from the lead in 2012, and the sheer amount of bad fortune he had in 2012 also. It is also forgotten that Lewis had a bit more bad luck that Jenson in 2010 also.

It was 2-1 in seasons points wise, and I would say performance wise as well to Lewis.

LionKing
LionKing

sennafan24 wrote: That said, despite the small gap in points overall, in terms of performance I felt Lewis was the better driver head to head due to the amount of times Lewis retired from the lead in 2012, and the sheer amount of bad fortune he had in 2012 also. It is also forgotten that Lewis had a bit more bad luck that Jenson in 2010 also.

It was 2-1 in seasons points wise, and I would say performance wise as well to Lewis.
For 2010 I don't think he had more bad luck than Jenson. His crash with Massa at Monza was %100 his fault and 50-50 for Webber incident at Singapore while Button was a total victim at Spa with Vettel. Lewis retired in Hungary and Jenson @ Monaco with mechanical issues. And tyre gamble at Spain did not work well for Lewis causing a crash with 2 laps left.

Still it was Jenson who brought the best result in WDC as 2nd but Lewis did not finish top 3 in any of those season. As you see difference metrics bring different driver in front.

sennafan24
sennafan24

LionKing wrote: As you see difference metrics bring different driver in front.
That is a point I can agree on.

I view the 3 years as showing Lewis as the better driver, but other "metrics" as you put it could be seen as showing Jenson as the better driver.

I personally dismiss Jenson coming 2nd as any great one up over Lewis as

A. It was a very distant 2nd

B. Alonso had a inferior car that year, so only Vettel and Lewis were the top drivers in machinery that was better or equal to Button;s

C. I feel Lewis in 2012 was more impressive than Button in 2011, even though standings and stats may not support that, I feel performance under circumstance does.

As you kinda said though, it depends on what you value.

Phil

LionKing wrote:and in 2011 Lewis made many mistakes and had quite a few accidents. Button beat him fair and square that year.
This might be true if we limit ourselfs to only value the points one has achieved over a season and neglect all other factors. My biggest issue with this talk about "who beat who" is because it essentially sounds like a ring fight where two opponents are battling each other until one emerges as a victor. Is this really the case? I don't think so.

In F1 - winning is everything. Of course, the further down the grid you look, the more drivers you will find who will be happy to fight for points, because "winning" is simply not realistic. For some drivers - their main concern is to beat their team-mate, because it's all about their image and ability to impress in the hope to be noticed and progress to a higher team one day.

Every driver, depending in what team and the performance of that team, has a different mindset. In 2011, I don't really believe that Lewis still saw Jenson as a big challenge. He outqualified him on most tracks and therefore, was usually ahead of Jenson. Lewis's mindset was mainly - "beat Vettel", try to get that win and close the gap to the championship leader. Not being able to, only added to his frustration.

Jenson, on the other hand, seemed to be happy to "drive for points". He rarely engaged in risky overtakes and always proved to be extremely consistent because of that. Being beaten by Lewis in 2010 (in points), perhaps it was his mindset to "beat his teammate", even if just on the merit of points. Button also had the luxory as the slower qualifying driver to take a gamble on a slighlty different strategy that seemed to work out quite well in the majority of cases.

If it had been in Lewis's mindset to simply "beat Button" over the course of the championship on points, he would have quite easily I'm sure. Then all those risky overtakes he did in order to fight for wins (that yielded the occasional DNF or damage), would have been unnecessary since in practically all those cases, he was fighting at the front and ahead of his teammate.

Now, joining Mercedes, Lewis's mindset is obviously different. He's in a new team and Rosberg is the 'local' guy there. Rosberg is performing at a brilliant level and so, I'm sure, Lewis is not only concerned about closing the gap to the championship leader, but also making sure he keeps in front of his new team-mate as the championship progresses.

The same applies to Button as well, who now faces a young and hungry new team-mate who wants to 'beat him' at all cost.

I also think that the 'beating' among team-mates is predominently taking place during qualifying, and not during the race - because within the race, there are so many factors that are outside of your control that can influence the result. Silverstone would be a great example: Lewis started on pole, outqualified his team-mate, yet, due to the tyre-blow, ended up behind his team-mate who later won the race. Did Rosberg "beat" Lewis? If we limit ourself to comparing points, sure he did - but all indications would point to Lewis being the stronger driver on that day (race-pace). As it stands looking at those two drivers, Lewis was unlucky, so IMO, there's no point about talking about who beat who in that particular race.

Again; Not to take anything away from Button as I do think he's a brilliant driver on his day but I do believe that the Pirelli tyres also flattered his astonishing 2011 drive. He wouldn't rank among the top 4 if I had to choose - but I do rank him highly if you need a good consistent point-scorer. I also think that the drivers within F1 are a lot closer than what we like to think at times - especially with the rules and the tires as they are, it's becoming increasingly difficult to put the drivers in a order. Rewind to 20 years ago where cars were a lot more dangerous and at the limit of what was possible, you had a much bigger difference because the talent of the driver was a bigger factor than it is in todays F1.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LionKing
LionKing

Phil wrote: Every driver, depending in what team and the performance of that team, has a different mindset. In 2011, I don't really believe that Lewis still saw Jenson as a big challenge. He outqualified him on most tracks and therefore, was usually ahead of Jenson. Lewis's mindset was mainly - "beat Vettel", try to get that win and close the gap to the championship leader. Not being able to, only added to his frustration.

If it had been in Lewis's mindset to simply "beat Button" over the course of the championship on points, he would have quite easily I'm sure. Then all those risky overtakes he did in order to fight for wins (that yielded the occasional DNF or damage), would have been unnecessary since in practically all those cases, he was fighting at the front and ahead of his teammate.
I don't believe your explanation applies to 2011 at all. Majority of accidents of Lewis that year was with Massa (like 7 of them?). The best result Massa got in 2011 was a few P5's. Massa's territory is positions ~P5-P8. Lewis was not fighting for wins when those accidents happened and almost of those accidents happened behind Button.

Lewis had 3 DNFs in 2011. Accident @ Canada with Button, accident with Kobayashi @ Spa (%100 Lewis fault ) and mechanical issue @ Brasil. Jenson had 2 DNFs with mechanical issues. They did not have a significant difference in the number of DNFs; besides accidents due to driver error is not luck.

Qualifying and race pace are not the same thing. Again in 2011, I believe Rosberg outqualified Schumi in 16 of 19 races but the races were a different story. It was close between them in points 89-76 in favor of Rosberg with Micheal having 3 more DNFs.

sennafan24
sennafan24

LionKing wrote: I don't believe your explanation applies to 2011 at all. Majority of accidents of Lewis that year was with Massa (like 7 of them?). The best result Massa got in 2011 was a few P5's. Massa's territory is positions ~P5-P8. Lewis was not fighting for wins when those accidents happened and almost of those accidents happened behind Button.

Lewis had 3 DNFs in 2011. Accident @ Canada with Button, accident with Kobayashi @ Spa (%100 Lewis fault ) and mechanical issue @ Brasil. Jenson had 2 DNFs with mechanical issues. They did not have a significant difference in the number of DNFs; besides accidents due to driver error is not luck.
I just think Lewis lost his head in the second half of 2011, whilst Button was at his very best. In normal circumstances where luck is identical, I think Lewis beats Button the majority of the time.

Phil's point applies for 2010 though, Lewis did pursue wins in the later half to help his title chances, if he would have settled for points he would have beaten Button by a larger margin. Also, Monza that year McLaren gambled with different set ups in a wet qualifying and Jenson got the luck of the draw.

Button was superb in 2011 though (not as good as Lewis at his very best, but still world class), and has been fantastic the last two race weekends in 2013 (Germany and Silverstone). Jenson is a very good driver, I just do not rate him as highly as Lewis or Alonso.
LionKing wrote: Qualifying and race pace are not the same thing. Again in 2011, I believe Rosberg outqualified Schumi in 16 of 19 races but the races were a different story. It was close between them in points 89-76 in favor of Rosberg with Micheal having 3 more DNFs.
You have stabbed yourself in the foot here.

Ahead in two-car finish: Hamilton 24 / Button 13

and

Best race result (inc DNFs): Hamilton 32 / Button 26

Despite having almost double the amount of DNF's Lewis has these stats in his favor.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Phil wrote:
LionKing wrote:and in 2011 Lewis made many mistakes and had quite a few accidents. Button beat him fair and square that year.
This might be true if we limit ourselfs to only value the points one has achieved over a season and neglect all other factors. My biggest issue with this talk about "who beat who" is because it essentially sounds like a ring fight where two opponents are battling each other until one emerges as a victor. Is this really the case? I don't think so.

In F1 - winning is everything. Of course, the further down the grid you look, the more drivers you will find who will be happy to fight for points, because "winning" is simply not realistic. For some drivers - their main concern is to beat their team-mate, because it's all about their image and ability to impress in the hope to be noticed and progress to a higher team one day.

Every driver, depending in what team and the performance of that team, has a different mindset. In 2011, I don't really believe that Lewis still saw Jenson as a big challenge. He outqualified him on most tracks and therefore, was usually ahead of Jenson. Lewis's mindset was mainly - "beat Vettel", try to get that win and close the gap to the championship leader. Not being able to, only added to his frustration.

Jenson, on the other hand, seemed to be happy to "drive for points". He rarely engaged in risky overtakes and always proved to be extremely consistent because of that. Being beaten by Lewis in 2010 (in points), perhaps it was his mindset to "beat his teammate", even if just on the merit of points. Button also had the luxory as the slower qualifying driver to take a gamble on a slighlty different strategy that seemed to work out quite well in the majority of cases.

Now, joining Mercedes, Lewis's mindset is obviously different. He's in a new team and Rosberg is the 'local' guy there. Rosberg is performing at a brilliant level and so, I'm sure, Lewis is not only concerned about closing the gap to the championship leader, but also making sure he keeps in front of his new team-mate as the championship progresses.

The same applies to Button as well, who now faces a young and hungry new team-mate who wants to 'beat him' at all cost.

I also think that the 'beating' among team-mates is predominently taking place during qualifying, and not during the race - because within the race, there are so many factors that are outside of your control that can influence the result. Silverstone would be a great example: Lewis started on pole, outqualified his team-mate, yet, due to the tyre-blow, ended up behind his team-mate who later won the race. Did Rosberg "beat" Lewis? If we limit ourself to comparing points, sure he did - but all indications would point to Lewis being the stronger driver on that day (race-pace). As it stands looking at those two drivers, Lewis was unlucky, so IMO, there's no point about talking about who beat who in that particular race.

Again; Not to take anything away from Button as I do think he's a brilliant driver on his day but I do believe that the Pirelli tyres also flattered his astonishing 2011 drive. He wouldn't rank among the top 4 if I had to choose - but I do rank him highly if you need a good consistent point-scorer. I also think that the drivers within F1 are a lot closer than what we like to think at times - especially with the rules and the tires as they are, it's becoming increasingly difficult to put the drivers in a order. Rewind to 20 years ago where cars were a lot more dangerous and at the limit of what was possible, you had a much bigger difference because the talent of the driver was a bigger factor than it is in todays F1.
I think it is important to remember that there are no facts in your posts, even though I might agree with you at some points it is almost entirely an opinion piece.

One thing I will dispute is your notion of Lewis not wanting to beat his team mate. If anything is true it is that a driver always needs to beat his team mate first and foremost, it is one of the very few things that appears to be universally held as a truth by commentators and former f1drivers alike.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Ok we'll I have read all the responses since the bump.

By and large Jenson's stock has risen since he moved to Mclaren to sit opposite Lewis, based on the general tone of people in this thread.

Outside of this thread it also seems as if Jenson has gained much respect for deciding to go up against what many people consider to be the fastest or best driver in f1, few other drivers, outside of Lewis and Jenson are willing to square up to another wdc - major respect to both.

Phil

LionKing wrote:I don't believe your explanation applies to 2011 at all. Majority of accidents of Lewis that year was with Massa (like 7 of them?). The best result Massa got in 2011 was a few P5's. Massa's territory is positions ~P5-P8. Lewis was not fighting for wins when those accidents happened and almost of those accidents happened behind Button.
Perhaps you are only looking at DNFs, while I'm looking at all incidents that influenced the results. I actually really didn't want to go throught the entire 2011 season, but one things is quite clear: On the majority of tracks, Hamilton outqualified Button. So how did Button end up ahead in points?

Here's an overview:

Malaysia 2011:
In Malaysia, 2nd race of the 2012 championship, Hamilton qualified 2nd, Button 4th. I don't recall the entirety of the race, but accoarding to Wikipedia, Button, Hamilton and Alonso were caught up in a tangle that had Hamilton and Alonso receive a penality, which is probably why they both finished 50 seconds behind Button in 2nd.

Monaco 2011:
Hamilton was extremely unlocky being caught out by Perez's crash. As a result, he wasn't able to set a time Q3, which is why he started 9th (finished 6th), compared to Button who started 2nd and finished 3rd. As we all remember, Hamilton had a very tough race with lots of incidents trying to make up some places. As an extra to consider: Hamilton was setting the pace in Q1 and Q2. I would think there was a high probability that Hamilton would have outqualified Button again here though the gap would have been likely too big to Vettels pole.

Canada 2011:
Well, this one is easy. Both McLarens were likely on a wet-setup and qualifyed outside of their potential in 5th (HAM) and 7th (BUT). After they race, they met on track - Hamilton being quite a bit quicker on the wet track and started to pass Button after he made a mistake through the chicane. Button didn't see his team-mate (who had commited to the pass) and was squashed into the wall causing DNF. I'm willing to bet a fair amount if this had not happened, Hamilton would have finished in front of Button, though this is purely speculation of course. This one must have hurt though - Button took the win while Hamilton walked around with zero points.

Hungary 2011:
Again, Hamilton (2nd) outqualified his team-mate starting in 3rd. This one is easy too. Hamilton was able to overtake Vettel in the wet, then built up a significant lead. Button was able to close that gap eventually as they pitted again, but Hamilton prevailed at the front and built up yet another lap. As it started to rain again, he spun and allowed Button to catch up. Hamilton being in front had first call to pit strategy so went in for intermediates which turned out to be wrong decision. Button had to stay out and a lap later it was clear that the track was drying out. This ment that Button won the race and Hamilton finished in 4th. Now, you might argue that the decision was down to the brilliance of Button - but I'd argue that at the time, he was fortunate to not have pit-priority. At that point, it could have gone either way - the track could have gotten worse in which case Hamilton would have won or in the way it turned out - it got better. One way or the other, Hamilton lost 13 points compared to Button.

Belgium 2011:
Interestingly, Hamilton started in 2nd, Button in 13th! So how did this happen? If I recall correctly, Button was helped by the safety car that came out as a result of Hamilton who had just passed Kobayashi on the track, moved back to the racing line and collided with Kobayashi who was still there. I don't really think Button would have finished anywhere in front of Lewis had it not been for his crash. I would have to watch the race again though to be sure, but really, that's a large difference starting in 13th to 2nd to make progress without being just a little bit fortunate...

Monza 2011:
In Italy, Hamilton once again outqualified Button, though the gap was smaller (2nd to 3rd). Hamilton actually had quite a gap to Button and soon caught up to Schumacher who got passed after the safety-car restart. Hamilton attemped multiple passes on Schumacher who was rather agressive with blocking (even Ross Brawn came on the radio to tell Schumacher to not block) but by that time, Button had already caught up, passed Hamilton and then got past Schumacher rather easily. I guess one could cheer Buttons brilliant drive. End result: Button 2nd, Hamilton 4th.

Singapore 2011:
Button outqualified Hamilton by 0.005. Though when you read Wikipedia, it says that in Q3, the drivers did two runs. Button initially was 2nd, and then dropped back as Hamilton and Webber both outqualified his time to 2nd. Then for the second run, Hamilton apparently had a fuel problem so could not run his 2nd attempt. The result was that Button outqualified him on his second run. Button ended up 3rd and Hamilton 4th.
In the race, Hamilton had an incident with Massa, clipping his front-wing causing his front-wing to break and Massa a puncture. Hamilton had to pit again and then was penalized for causing the collision. So, while Button remained ahead of Hamilton most of the race, another lots of points lost for a rather unfortunate (stupid) likely avoidable collision. To put things a little in perspective though: Massa was already fuming at Hamilton in qualifying because Hamilton overtook Massa on his outlap in Q3 (to gain a better position). Massa was very critical of this eventually and as far as I recall, he was rather agressive when the two met on track. I'm not justifying Hamilton in any way - I would have to watch the race to draw a definitive conclusion, but I think it was worth mentioning to put into perspective. At the end of the race, Button finished 2nd, while Hamilton finished in 5th.

Japan 2011:
Button outqualified Hamilton. Once again, (and according to Wikipedia), Hamilton was the early pace-setter in Q2. In Q3 Hamilton set the initial pace, then for the 2nd run, he was following Button (with Schumacher and Webber behind), not realize that it was getting close to set a time before the checkered-flag. Hamilton was also distracted changing dials on his steering-wheel. Before the last chicane, Webber overtoook Hamilton and Hamilton who was startled, then missed out on being able to do a final run. Result was Button 2nd, Hamilton 3rd. Not saying Hamilton would have outqualified Button again, but really... indications are he would have. Even so, starting 3rd, behind his team-mate, no big-deal.

In the race, Hamilton got passed Button who was cut by Vettel at the start. Then accoarding to Wikipedia, there's some talk about Hamilton having troubles, assumption being that he had a puncture. It turned out to be heavy degredation? Really would have to watch this race to be sure what exactly happened, but somehow, Button ended up in front again, then there was some collision with Massa again (that resulted in a safety-car because of debris) and the while in the pits, to make matters worse, he had a slow stop and he ended up behind Massa again. He recovered from that, but in the end 5th was the best to achieve.

India 2011:
Again, Hamilton (2nd) outqualified Button (5th). Now, accoarding to Wikipedia, Button somehow had a brilliant start and Hamilton a bad one. I actually thought there was some issue with the track being extremely dirty on the even-side of the track, but I may be imagening this one. One way or the other, Button ended up in front, Hamilton behind Massa. To make matters worse, Hamilton and Massa had another collision - this time, handing a penality to Massa. Hamilton however had to pit for a new wing, losing him time and eventually finished 7th to Buttons 2nd.

Brazil 2011:
Button (3rd) outqualified Hamilton (4th) fair and square. The race finished with Button ending on a high and Hamilton with another DNF (gearbox issue).

So, this are all the races of 2011 where Button finished ahead of Hamilton in the race and on points. It's funny when you actually look at what happened during the race. Now, I'm not at all trying to discredit Button in any way here - as I have previously noted, he is a brilliant driver when it comes to scoring consistently and on the best of his days, he is extremly quick and solid. No arguments there. However, looking at all these races where Button finished ahead of his team-mate in 2011, it quickly becomes apparent that in those 10 races, Hamilton outqualified Button 5 times, one time substantially. In 3 of those remaining 5 races, Hamilton had some kind of issue in Q3 - either by being sent out too late (Japan), not setting a time at all (Perez crash in Monaco) or having some fuel issue (Singapore), but was the pace-setter before. It is likely he would have been close to outqualifying his team-mate there too. In the 2 remaining races (India and Brazil), Button outqualified Hamilton fair and square.

So if we look at the data, it does raise the question how Hamilton, usually starting ahead of his team-mate ended up behind. All in all, it just seems to me, Hamilton had an extremely hard 2011. Sure, some of the incidents (especially those with Massa) are directly related to his decisions on the track. And it all started in Monaco, where Hamilton had pace, but wasn't able to do a proper Q3 time, thus falling down the grid and frustratingly tried to make up places on a track where overtakes are close to impossible, unless you are wreckless. Even so, I maintain that if he had merely concentrated to beating his team-mate, he could have ended up with more points and fewer collisions. He was also unfortunate to have some avoidable faults, team-strategic decisions that went against him - just adding to his overall frustrating year.

At the end of the day, all that we are left with are points without context. And from those, it's easily argued that Button beat Hamilton. If we look at the 2011 season race by race though, I think it gives a bit of context to *how* Button managed to outscore him, especially when in the majority of those races, Hamilton was in fact starting further up the grid.

Does this make Button any less of an impressive driver? I think not, but it shows two drivers at opposite sides; one performing consistently at his best (Button) and the other having an extremely frustrating year with lots of incidents (not all DNF related).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LionKing
LionKing

sennafan24 wrote:
LionKing wrote: Qualifying and race pace are not the same thing. Again in 2011, I believe Rosberg outqualified Schumi in 16 of 19 races but the races were a different story. It was close between them in points 89-76 in favor of Rosberg with Micheal having 3 more DNFs.
You have stabbed yourself in the foot here:
Ahead in two-car finish: Hamilton 24 / Button 13
and
Best race result (inc DNFs): Hamilton 32 / Button 26
Despite having almost double the amount of DNF's Lewis has these stats in his favor.
Although the relevant stats to summarize the race performances are below (more points, more podiums and more point finishes for Jenson and more wins for Lewis):
Wins: Hamilton 10 / Button 8
Podiums: Hamilton 22 / Button 25
Points finishes: Hamilton 45 / Button 47

As for the DNFs of Lewis being 13 and Button 8:
Button: 6 mechanical issues and 2 accidents (which he was complete victim in both),
Lewis: 5 mechanical and 8 accidents/crash.
(Actually 2 of those Button's and 1 of those Lewis'es retirements can be considered strategic retirement as they chose to retire when they were out of points). The difference of DNFs comes from accidents.

2011 example of Micheal and Nico I think highlights their qualifying and race performances being quite different.
Last edited by LionKing on 12 Jul 2013, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Lots of good info by both of you phil and lionking.
I hope you apply the same rigor to your real life.
+1 the pair of you for effort