F1 "Kit Cars"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

F1 "Kit Cars"

With all of this promised "help" to new teams proposed by FOTA, are we about to see the era of the "Kit Car"?

If the teams themselves were to agree on universal mounting points on engines, gearboxes, wings and suspension components, could we see hybrid cars?

I know that this is not a fully developed idea as of yet, but would this still be in line with the Constructors regulations?

I, for one, never understood the modularity of the nosecone not being integrated into all parts of an F1 car. I know that in the sprint race that is a GP that 5 minutes to change the front suspension may not allow you to win the race, but if nothing else it would keep the sponsors on TV.

Pro's? Con's?

Would common mounting points effectively create a spec series?

Intelligent comments are always welcome!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: F1 "Kit Cars"

I welcome lots of ideas here, such as universal mounting points for engines, gearboxes and KERS motors to the engines. BUT i feel that the rest of the car should be designed by the team, altho spec parts can be used for suspension and braking systems but should have unique mounting points.

Id like to add in this concept to customer cars, altho customer car teams being decribed as "Teams who buy 1 or 2 year old blue prints (and or all other related data) and or moouldings to make their own chassis that confroms with current crash test procedures". But those teams should also be only given their first 2 chassis like this as to give them a start in the sport, just to get them started to become a manufacturer team.

I am pro customer car and modular design, but to a point, as eventually some teams would just start ripping the rules to suit their own means (as if it currently dosnt happen!!!) as they would always be wanting to buy a BGP001 chassis and bolt it to a Ferarri engine with a Mercedes KERS System, whitch would get somewhere fast, but would falseafy the sport. Hence i would propose a system of a Customer Champoionship that would run along side the Constructor Champoinship, but with 50% less points. With customer teams going to the back end of the pits, basically futher back to where Brawn are currently.

Heres how id suggest that works points wise:

P1 = Driver 1 - Customer 2 - 5 Pts
P2 = Button - Brawn GP - 10 Pts
P3 = Vettel - Red Bull - 8 Pts
P4 = Driver 2 Customer 3 - 4 Pts

Just to give a look of how something may look at a race end.

void

I think that is better the points work this way

P1 Constructor 1 - 10 pts
P2 Customer 1 - 4 pts for customer and 4 pts for constructor
P3 Customer 2 - 3 pts for customer and 3 pts for constructor
P4 Constructor 2 - 5 pts

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

void wrote:I think that is better the points work this way

P1 Constructor 1 - 10 pts
P2 Customer 1 - 4 pts for customer and 4 pts for constructor
P3 Customer 2 - 3 pts for customer and 3 pts for constructor
P4 Constructor 2 - 5 pts
I was thinking about this this morning and i have to aggree, going against what i previously said, that that points structure would work. Giving the customer teams 50% less points running what WTCC runs in the "Independants" trophy. Ive always been pro customer cars, as i feel that it is a great way to cut costs and i think would encourage more teams into F1.

One other thing id like to see, is the grid increased to 30, but the last four places put towards single car teams, as there is in other series. Id like to see what single car teams can do in F1. And it would realease another 4 drives for young tallented drivers.

Williams stance i think is appauling, when they forget where their roots and how they started in the sport, a single car team with bought property.

bjpower
bjpower

I dont see what the big deal is with customer cars.
it is part of any professional sport.
eg soccer, players are bought and sold.
the smaller clubs take young talent, invest in them and hopefully sell them to man u for a profit so they can buy better players etc.
( yip i like to simplify things)
I dont think teams should be forced to sell parts.
eg a rule like after 6 races after a part has come out it must be available to buy.
but if i can get an engine and chassis off red bull, why not.
what advantage is there of my little team pumping money into a chassis that may be pants.
i would benifit more buy working on the rest of the car (maybe)
but it makes it better for everybody.

eg
theres a short fall in sponsorship - williams
ok well FIF1 are interested in our kers( or any component)
lets offer to sell it for 1 million so we can pump that into making a better one for ourselves :)

Metar

I'll be frank: I never liked the customer-car concept. Part of F1's appeal was the uniqueness of the cars.

But, I do like the idea of being able to sell blueprints of a year-old car. The customer would have to modify it to current crash-standards and regulations, and be able to introduce updates on it - but most importantly, manufacture it themselves. They get the plans, the aero- and chassis-development completed, and then have to start making something out of it. I'd like to see that, if only for the rare chance that another Super Aguri-esque team beats the factory-squad in a year-old car with their own updates.

bjpower
bjpower

Metar wrote:I'll be frank: I never liked the customer-car concept. Part of F1's appeal was the uniqueness of the cars.

But, I do like the idea of being able to sell blueprints of a year-old car. The customer would have to modify it to current crash-standards and regulations, and be able to introduce updates on it - but most importantly, manufacture it themselves. They get the plans, the aero- and chassis-development completed, and then have to start making something out of it. I'd like to see that, if only for the rare chance that another Super Aguri-esque team beats the factory-squad in a year-old car with their own updates.
well there are very few parts of a F1 car you can just bolt on. so i suppose there are very few parts you can sell.
but they could put it in with the 40 million cap and that might keep the bigger teams a bit more happy

you are allowed 40 million to spend but any money made from selling parts etc you can add on top of the 40 million.

the bigger teams get more money to spend ( something they want)
the smaller teams get to save time and money developing the part.

but definitely agree i miss aguri wooping honda.