Bernie wants a race in Argentina

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
The FOZ

...WHY?!

I mean, it's all well and good that he's not letting the sport stagnate with the same schedule and circuits each year, but I feel this is somewhat ridiculous.

It appears to my eye that there is a pattern of behavior here:

1) Bernie hints that he'd like a race in a certain country.
2) Country must shell out $$$$$$ to build/upgrade a circuit.
3) Countries that currently have F1 races are told "shell out $$$$$$ to upgrade/move to a new track, or you lose your spot on the calendar".
4) Countries that spend $$$$$$$ keep their race.
5) Countries that don't spend the $$$$$$$ lose their race.

So either we have a revolving door policy on what country gets a race when, or he's totally changing the water in the fish tank as quickly as possible, getting rid of the "historic" races. Except Monaco, naturally.

Either way, it's a pretty un-sustainable climate, expecting both prospective and current countries to be dumping untold millions into either keeping their race spot or securing one of their own.

Good thing FOM is trying to cut costs in the current economic climate!

jon-mullen

Re: Bernie wants a race in Argentina

I'd be careful, I think there's a few highly placed people on this board that would enjoy an Argentinian race. I actually wouldn't mind traveling for that or Interlagos if Montreal and Indy were out.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

The FOZ

Perhaps I've mis-stated my point. Let's have another go:

Why, in this supposed current climate of cost-cutting, which is the basis for the large portion of the current FIA/FOTA disagreement, is Bernie trying to get more countries spending money to get a race date on the calendar?

jon-mullen

Oh. Because he's a greedy little troll, of course.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

outer_bongolia

The FOZ wrote:Perhaps I've mis-stated my point. Let's have another go:

Why, in this supposed current climate of cost-cutting, which is the basis for the large portion of the current FIA/FOTA disagreement, is Bernie trying to get more countries spending money to get a race date on the calendar?
Especially with Montreal delaying their commitment until FOTA/F1 problem is solved, this seems very strange:
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3842.shtml

But then, Ecclestone might be trying to get as many tracks as possible to be tied to him to use against a possible FOTA series.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Ray

He's coercing venues to side with him so later he can use that leverage to try and crush the FOTA breakaway. Remember that if any of the current venues have contracts with the FIA and they try to host a race with the FOTA series, the FIA can threaten them with never having an FIA sanctioned event in their country ever again, and any team or driver that breaks from the FIA will never again get a super license or be allowed to race in any FIA controlled series. I'm surprised that the FIA folded so easily, I think it's a move in a very big and dangerous game.

Belatti

The FOZ wrote:...WHY?!

I mean, it's all well and good that he's not letting the sport stagnate with the same schedule and circuits each year, but I feel this is somewhat ridiculous.

It appears to my eye that there is a pattern of behavior here:

1) Bernie hints that he'd like a race in a certain country.
2) Country must shell out $$$$$$ to build/upgrade a circuit.
3) Countries that currently have F1 races are told "shell out $$$$$$ to upgrade/move to a new track, or you lose your spot on the calendar".
4) Countries that spend $$$$$$$ keep their race.
5) Countries that don't spend the $$$$$$$ lose their race.

So either we have a revolving door policy on what country gets a race when, or he's totally changing the water in the fish tank as quickly as possible, getting rid of the "historic" races. Except Monaco, naturally.

Either way, it's a pretty un-sustainable climate, expecting both prospective and current countries to be dumping untold millions into either keeping their race spot or securing one of their own.

Good thing FOM is trying to cut costs in the current economic climate!
I got your point, FOZ. And I agree with you.

jon-mullen wrote:I'd be careful, I think there's a few highly placed people on this board that would enjoy an Argentinian race. I actually wouldn't mind traveling for that or Interlagos if Montreal and Indy were out.
I would love a Race here, jon. But I have been discussing this subject in a Latin American F1 forum here (there are some Spaniards, too :) ):
http://www.lamaxima.net/foro/viewtopic. ... 46&start=0
and the same questions arised.

We have got a beautiful FIA GT Potrero de los Funes track (although not F1 suitable I think... and would make Spa look like a kart track) and then the old BsAs track... with the old layout that can be repaved, too.

But Bernie wants a new street circuit... millions have to be invested... BY OUR GOVERNMENT... and I have my doubts about the financial return figures :|

Of course, if it does happen I will be the first to tie myself inside the paddock, on week before the race :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

oj1983

While it would be great to go back to Argentina, I wonder whether Bernie is trying to get an Argentinian race promoter tied to the FIA to stop FOTA going there.

Seems all a bit underhand to me, not that it's in any way a surprise considering his past behavior! [-X

modbaraban

Who knows. Maybe he can get a seat in TC2000 :)

ISLAMATRON

The FOZ wrote:Perhaps I've mis-stated my point. Let's have another go:

They(FOM/FIA) are trying to cut their costs, and retain or increase revenue... its called business... they dont care what the countries have to shell out... it is up to the countries to ensure a good ROI

dave34m

I think bernies just trying to be everbodies friend so they will include him in the new series. Hes already flip flopped on Silverstone, not long ago he said Britain would not have a GP if the new circuit wasn't ready, now he wants to stay at Silverstone.

Hes just a very annoying little man who has had things his own way for far too long. The fans are sick of putting up with his --- and he is just now starting to realise that it all may be over.

FW17

Mauricio Macri has been elected President of Argentina – and that is good news for the motorsport world as Macri has plans to revive the Autódromo in Buenos Aires, in an effort to increase the country’s tourist trade. The election ends 12 years of rule by the Peronist Party. Marco has been mayor of Buenos Aires since 2007 and during that time his economic development department has analysed what to do with the facility. Elsewhere in the country provincial governments had built new circuits but the Buenos Aires facility has largely faded away. The analysis concluded that the Autódromo should remain a motor racing facility and should be revamped with new businesses to help make it more sustainable. These will include a racing school, a motorsport museum, a hotel and car show rooms. The city’s ultimate goal is for a return of Formula 1, but it has long been clear that this will only happen if there is backing from the federal government. Macri is reported to have met Bernie Ecclestone some years ago to discuss the possibilities, but Argentina’s economic problems have made a race impossible, although Hermann Tilke is understood to have designed a new layout, including a suitable pit and paddock complex that will need to be built. Macri has pledged to change the country’s economic policies in an effort to boost growth and stop the inflation that has crippled the country. If the money can be found, it would take around 18 months to rebuild the race track and so the earliest time we would see a race would be at the end of 2017, presumably linked to the Brazilian Grand Prix, as always used to be the case. However it is more realistic to look at 2018 and beyond, as there is a lot to do.

Joe Saward
Hope they go back to the original layout. F1 needs a super-sub for old Hockenheimring

Kingshark

What people need to realize is that Bernie does not care about this sport at all. He is not a racer, he is a business man.

Bernie would have no problem whatsoever with F1 being a 2-team series (Ferrari and Red Bull) with 16 customer cars and 16 unskilled pay drivers in them, with all 20 races being held around Tilke circuits in Qatar if it meant that he would make a few extra million bucks.

Formula 1 is one of the worst ran sports in the world in general. The people who run this sport are useless morons. I think F1 is going to get worst before it gets better; idiots like Bernie and Charlie Whiting need to go first

autogyro

Bernie was a racer before he became a team owner and Charlie has more experience of F1 than 100 of you put together.

Kingshark

autogyro wrote:Bernie was a racer before he became a team owner and Charlie has more experience of F1 than 100 of you put together.
I don't care what Bernie did in the past, today he is a business man first and foremost. If he cared at all about F1 beyond his wallet, the sport would have never gone to PPV in the UK, nor would we have dropped races in France for locations like Abu Dhabi instead.

As for Charlie Whiting:

"If, as some people think, it may be a little more difficult to follow a car closely then we can increase the authority of the DRS. I don't see a big issue there."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120520

This buffoon thinks that more DRS is a brilliant solution for cars being unable to follow one another. He should lose his job merely for suggesting that.