What if an F1 engine had turbo?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adam2007

What if an F1 engine had turbo?

2.4 v8 with turbo charger and other performance parts what could you expect in bhp over 1000bhp?

bjpower

Re: what if f1 engine had turbo

I wonder could the cars handle it.
as tires are standard etc.
I dont know for a fact but i assume the revs were alot lower back in the day of turbos and i allso assume that the engines would need to be strengthened adding extra weight.
Im sure someone has some math formula for the pressure boost equating to power.
but im not sure that it would possable due to the high revs maybe it could cause an issue.

RH1300S

It's a bit theoretical, frankly - but when 1.5L Turbos were raced, there were rumours of close to 1500bhp in qualifying engines.

So, simple maths - 1000bhp/litre - 2.4 litre 2400bhp. Even allowing for the fact that with 20 years progress, I'm sure they could get more (fuels allowing).

It would fun to watch :mrgreen:

Likewise - it's not going to happen................ [-X

wesley123

It is only going to happen in a small engine form and restricted pressure.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

peteskar

A varible vane turbo would be the way to go if it were to happen, I guess we will have to get in the way back machine and watch the races of years past. I think blowers would come before turbos.
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

sinspawn1024

We could expect the cars to get in excess of 1000 bhp... depending on how turbos were allowed. The powers that be [FU Bernie Max] LOVE restrictions. They might say that if you have turbos, you'll need to have a 3mm turbine with a 1mm inlet and you can only run 1 lb of boost for 6 sec per lap and you'll have to decrease engine capacity to 25cc with a rev limit of 100 rpm and so on and so on until you're getting less horsepower than naturally aspirated.

But theoretically speaking, with sufficient freedom of design, one could attain in the range of 1000-1500 hp per liter.

u401768

The BMW engine in qual trim were making 1300HP (if i remember rightly thy remove the wastegate all together and boosted the engine to what ever it would make). I also remember seeing a photo of them adding the fuel to the car, and the pit crew were all in things that look like space suits with their own air tanks - it may have been petrol - just not as we know it.....

Heres a url with some interesting info:-

http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

It would be fun to see them back - but may be at 1000cc that would be fun. And remove the restriction on engine placement...there were at least 2 teams look seriously at front engine cars again before they emasculated the turbo engines...

ISLAMATRON

bjpower wrote:I wonder could the cars handle it.
as tires are standard etc.
I dont know for a fact but i assume the revs were alot lower back in the day of turbos and i allso assume that the engines would need to be strengthened adding extra weight.
Im sure someone has some math formula for the pressure boost equating to power.
but im not sure that it would possable due to the high revs maybe it could cause an issue.

Today' s F1 chassis, even being massively lighter than in the 80's are still much stiffer and could well handle the extra power... it would be the drive-trains that would need massive upgrades... seamless shift might not be able to handle it at all.

because the FIA imposed a minimum weight(and CG) on the engines, they might be far stronger than they need to be to even handle todays power output.

Even at low boost levels these engines could easily reach 1000+ hp... and possibly break 1500 without too much modification, but engine life would plummet

adam2007

1000 bhp per litre that would be really good. susspose they can get that much power out of it as the engine life is very short.

ISLAMATRON

2400hp? not gonna happen, not on these same blocks

Ian P.

At around 1000 BHP per litre you need to consider these as gas turbines with a reciprocating combustion and power take-off section.
The sky is the limit for this type of engine. Could likely get up to 1500 per Litre without too much trouble. The compressor and power turbine would be massive compared to what was run in the 90s. Need more boost, just inject fuel directly into the power turbine.....Zoom....Zooom....
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

wrcsti

As long as they dont have ricer blow off valves im all for it.

adam2007

I think its bad we are in 2009 and using 2006 spec engines. i thought f1 was suspposed to the the pinnicle of motosport. They should be able to do what they want with the engine, screw the budget

Sayshina

u401768 wrote:The BMW engine in qual trim were making 1300HP (if i remember rightly thy remove the wastegate all together and boosted the engine to what ever it would make). I also remember seeing a photo of them adding the fuel to the car, and the pit crew were all in things that look like space suits with their own air tanks - it may have been petrol - just not as we know it.....

Heres a url with some interesting info:-

http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html

It would be fun to see them back - but may be at 1000cc that would be fun. And remove the restriction on engine placement...there were at least 2 teams look seriously at front engine cars again before they emasculated the turbo engines...
Renault have said their engine dyno capped out at 1600 hp and their quali engines maxed it's capacity. They estimated from volumetric flow somewhere slightly over 1800. But that's for an engine that was meant to survive 3 laps, 4 tops.

I would expect seamless shift to be a real boon to an engine like that. Audi said the first year of their deisel endurance car that it wouldn't have been possible without modern transmissions.

By far the easiest way to break a drivetrain with an engine like this would be to start feeding power back in before the gears had fully meshed. Gerhard Burger once said something like it's not that the best drivers don't miss shifts, they just mis fewer of them. If memory serves, he said it right after blowing his car up at Monaco.

As far as putting restrictions on development, I'm not at all a fan of Bernie and his silly restrictions for the sake of restrictions. I mean, a mandatory included angle? Seriously? However, there must be restrictions. Someone in another thread noticed that F1 cars of 20 years ago were only about 5 sec. / lap slower than todays cars. That's because it's the tracks that are the limiting factor. If you want to make the cars significantly more powerful you will have cars with significantly more energy when they crash, which means much larger runoff areas, much stronger barriers (which the fans universally hate), and a much greater safety distance between the fans and the track.

Either that or you take your chances and eventually you kill a 100 or so fans, have your sport banned entirely and unless you were racing in some place like Bahrain probably face criminal charges as well.

Raptor22

Re: What if an F1 engine had turbo?

2.4L V8 with twn turbo would not get too 2400bhp without special fuel and really large drag inducing heat exchangers.

1.5L turbos reached 1,300bhpin qualifying trim on rather dangerous chemicals for fuel and they did not last much longer than a few laps. those were the days of throw away engines.
At that specific power output the engines are running very close to th metallurgical limit for the materials they are allowed to use.