ban the wings?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bjpower

ban the wings?

yes i know this is a fairly stupid idea.

but what if you band the wings and only allowed down force by ground effect or any other means other than the classic wings.

bring back skirts etc.

ye lads know alot more about this stuff than me so i would like your input in the idea.

my basic concept is that using ground effect the wake should be alot smaller than at the moment with the wings so cars can follow closer - so more passing out.

we could probally allow front wings.

the logic behind this is you can regulate wing size etc but engineers will always find new and intresting ways eg the dd. so get rid of then compleatly.

saying that i have no idea on the effect of wakes from ground effect systems.

so lads let you grey matter go wild...

WhiteBlue

Re: ban the wings?

We have discussed the topic with great regularity. F1 likes wings for commercial reasons and to avoid rear bias of down force. Wings are also better equipped to provide continuous downforce in yaw movements and over curbs and bumps. So a mixture seems an appropriate approach.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bjpower

WhiteBlue wrote:We have discussed the topic with great regularity. F1 likes wings for commercial reasons and to avoid rear bias of down force. Wings are also better equipped to provide continuous downforce in yaw movements and over curbs and bumps. So a mixture seems an appropriate approach.

well that shut me up :)

thanks for the info.
never tought about the curbs

WhiteBlue

Sorry, if you felt that my post was offensive. It was only meant as a hint that a search would reveal a lot of information and opinion on the issue. My apology.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bjpower

WhiteBlue wrote:Sorry, if you felt that my post was offensive. It was only meant as a hint that a search would reveal a lot of information and opinion on the issue. My apology.

good god no man, i didn't think your post was offensive.
sorry if i gave that impression.

wesley123

Banning wings isnt the smartest thing to do, it is actually similair of banning wheels. Actually, banning the diffuser is an idea, i believe the diffuser created a big part of the wake behin a car if im correct.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

roost89

It'd turn into a more powerful form of Formula Ford.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

jddh1

There are also other money issues than what WhiteBlue mentions. Teams have invested millions on wind tunnels, super computers for CFD and other things, so banning wings undermines that investment a little bit.

Oh, and I like the wings.

machin

A championship with Formula-Ford type cars with loads of power, big tyres, some moderate ground effect tunnels, where the cars can follow eachother closely and can't cut the corners (due to loss of downforce from the tunnels if you go over the curbs).... that does sound.....

... rather good actually!!!!

Why not give the cars a full driver canopy to make them look really neat.... and ok, some small wings at the front and rear to balance the car nicely (driver adjustable of course!). I think we've got our alternative championship here guys!

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

WhiteBlue

Neat modell, but....

LMP drivers can talk to you about roofs and the merits of this proposal. If they can get an open car they all take that. Closed cockpits are a pain in the neck when it rains, oil goes flying and in the heat. You need clima control legally to compete in one and that is added weight that nobody needs.

Conceptual

Just removing the black canopy would however fix that little problem rather quickly.

I like it! And use the shark-fin for ad space instead of wings. At least people could see it as it drives by.

I would really like to see something like this, but open cockpit of course!

woohoo

I like it too.

Sort of like would would have happened had the Arrows A2 been developed further.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

peteskar

Non-sense, that's what an F1 car with no wing would be. F1 with no wing lets fire up the delorean make sure the flux capacitor is fluxing and go back to oh lets see about 1954 thats f1 with no wings. I happen to like aero dynamics. Besides the drivers would all have serious neck injuries as the wings would be on the helmets :lol:
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

machin

I happen to like aero dynamics.
Aerodynamics would still exist whether there were wings or not! :lol: The original poster of this topic suggested using grounds effects tunnels so there would still be plenty to keep the aero departments and windtunnels busy.

The problem with removing the canopy is it makes the car look a bit boring; like a current F1 car with tiny wings!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Richard

Small problem is that relying on ground effect for most of your downforce kills people. Your car is trundling along at 200mph, nicely stuck to the road. Then there is a collision, or you go onto the grass. The ground effect is lost, no downforce and you have the momentum of 200mph but the braking capacity of very little downforce.

It's the same effect of current wings snapping, which is why they wings are subject to strength tests.

More peritnantly, as Peteskar says, its one of the defining chartersistics F1.

However, I do like your idea if the objective is to greatly simplify the aero. You coudl kepe teh wings, but greatly simplifed them. Single plane, limited end fence, no sticky out bits. It would reduce the cost as well as sensitivity of following another car.