Sky sport HD broadcasts F1 in HDTV to Germany

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Sky sport HD broadcasts F1 in HDTV to Germany

The German Pay TV Premiere was re branded to Sky last week. When I switched on my live broadcast today I realized that there was a new Sky sport HD channel, that was broadcasting F1 in high definition. The picture is absolutely marvelous. I love it!!!

The service is satellelite based (via Astra) and requires a subcription unfortunately. With the new HD format it is well worth the money (33€/month). I guess that most of Europe can get the signal but you will need a German Address for subscription. Does Sky Italia offer F1 in high definition as well?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sawtooth-spike

Re: Sky sport HD broadcasts F1 in HDTV to Germany

Interesting, Didnt Think FOM were outputing in HD. Thats why BBC have not got it on there HD Channel
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

WhiteBlue

I doubt that FOM is outputting in 1080p. It is probably an inferior signal which is upscaled. But the picture is way better than anything I have ever seen. There are obviously no losses by multiple scaling any more. The letters of the logo are absolutely crisp and much better than the letters of the FOM info boxes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

alleyoop

Sky broadcast F1 in HD from the last season in Italy, but great part if not all was upscaled footage: it's better than SD, but when the original is HD the result is great!

jddh1

It's upscaled guys.
Same thing with Speed here in the States. They upscale the signal and it does look a lot better, but I can't wait for the true HD feed.
(Bernie needs to get those HD cameras around the tracks)

hulmerist

bbc commentators noticed the same thing i did, vettels car cam seemed a much better quality than the others

testing hd cams on his car?

WhiteBlue

hulmerist wrote:bbc commentators noticed the same thing i did, vettels car cam seemed a much better quality than the others

testing hd cams on his car?
Thats what I thought as well. Its an indication that something is afoot. But lets remember that cameras is not the bottleneck. I reckon that the problem is to upgrade the on board network, the wireless network, the fiber optical network around the tracks and the mastering equippment if they haven't done some of that stuff.

I could imagine that Vettel's electronic glitch, that cost him time in the first friday session was due to the new equipment on the car.

hulmerist

not sure about that one, the chief mechanic/engineer, can't rememeber which, looked down in the car at something and came up with a "no wonder it stopped" kind of look

i think someone --- up basically

WhiteBlue

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/01/07/f ... ntil-2011/

It looks like FOM will screw HD viewers another year. There are some parts of the coverage in HD but the majority is scaled up SDTV.

Ray

jddh1 wrote:It's upscaled guys.
Same thing with Speed here in the States. They upscale the signal and it does look a lot better, but I can't wait for the true HD feed.
(Bernie needs to get those HD cameras around the tracks)
Maybe something is different in my neck of the woods, but F1 has ALWAYS looked like garbage on Speed. Even ALMS and Le Mans coverage looked like utter crap. I have a nice shiny HDTV and an HDTV box through HDMI and everything else on SD channels looks okay, but Speed is especially horrible.

This sport should have been in HD a few years ago. There is no excuse it should be broadcast in anything less than 720p. WTF is Bernie's holdup? Does he not want to pay for the cameras and equipment or what?

Confused_Andy

They've probablly got some Super16 cameras lurking about in their trailers somewhere that Bernie wont pay to update them to "true" HD.

The BBC coverage does put out some stunning quality yet I have notice it depends on the track, valencia this year was by far the best for SD, shame the race was ---.

DaveKillens

Here in Canada the F1 broadcast is done by TSN. They have an HD channel, and yes, the picture does look a heck of a lot better than regular. But it is obviously distorted, the cars look wide as if it was 1990, and sadly, the car width and proportions of today's cars are very different.
So sadly, it was only upscaled.

Like many, I shelled out some serious coin last year to have a respectable HD setup. And of course, one of my main motivations was to watch Formula One in all it's glory.

There is absolutely no valid reason why we the avid Formula One fans cannot view OUR SPORT in HD. NASCAR is broadcast in HD, why not F1?
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Giblet

They talked about the Yas Marina race maybe even being in HD last year, even though it wasn't.

The ball is rolling, but Bernie's dinosaur skin is starting to show.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

v7guy

I was pretty shocked last year when I couldn't find F1 with an HD picture, at best I got 720, how is it that the pinnacle of motorsports isn't broadcast in the best signal?
It's a real shame.