NO new qually format???? Thankfully

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

NO new qually format???? Thankfully

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3649.shtml

anone else got more on this FOTA proposal?

I dont see anything wrong with the current format, except for the race fuel part that would have been eliminated with the race refueling ban.

Did any of those "fan" surveys say that the "fans" did not like the current qually format?

I thought FOTA wanted stable rules... why are they trying to change something that doesnt seem to need fixing?
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 19 Aug 2009, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

kilcoo316

Re: NEw qually format????

Strange.

The current format is actually very good.

Not an idea I would have supported initially, dropped laps every 15 mins rather than dropped drivers would have had my favour.

However, I've more than come round and fully support the current format (bar the fuel load in Q3 obviously)

ESPImperium

How are they gonna decide who goes out first, and in what groups??? Lots, Champoinship Standing or a paddock lottery.

What id do is have a 1 hour 20 muinite open session. Where every 15 mins the slowest 5 at that mark get knocked out, if they are on a fast lap at that point, tough luck they ran out of time. The final 6 drivers get a 20 minuite session that is the fastest to pole session, where, this session has the if youre on a fast lap and the checqured falls, you can finish it.

But id make it that you have to complete a minimum ammount of laps each session, say 6 each session, meaning that the maximum of cars are out on track at any moment. And the penalty for pole is engine milage, say 30 laps plus for the final 6 drivers.

Got to give the guys that gain pole a dis-advantage some where. Id also make each driver have 2 sets of options and 1 set of primes for this session, meaning that tyre management is crucial as well.

That should really beef up the "for the show" element.

modbaraban

ISLAMATRON wrote:http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 3649.shtml

anone else got more on this FOTA proposal?

I dont see anything wrong with the current format, except for the race fuel part that would have been eliminated with the race refueling ban.

Did any of those "fan" surveys say that the "fans" did not like the current qually format?

I thought FOTA wanted stable rules... why are they trying to change something that doesnt seem to need fixing?
No thanks. It's overcomplicated. What I want from a quali is to define who's the fastest man on Saturday, not a lottery.

timbo

Come on... To much conclusions from "it is believed...".
It is believed that an UFO crashed at Roseville 1947 :roll:
Let's wait for a better piece of info!

Giblet

Roswell?

8)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Callum

Hmm, i dont like the sound of this. It's making it even MORE complicated.

I was looking forward to next years format where the last 10 drivers will be empty of fuel and finallly the fastest car and driver may get pole!

-KMR_NH-

QLF is currently near to perfect. The only thing which could be changed is Q3 as low-fuel session.
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

myurr

-KMR_NH- wrote:QLF is currently near to perfect. The only thing which could be changed is Q3 as low-fuel session.
Almost. With the change of Q3 to being a low fuel session, I'd also put the Sunday practice back in, even if just half an hour, and allow setup changes. That way teams qualifying pace doesn't necessarily carry over into race pace, and could lead to more overtaking.

kilcoo316

myurr wrote:Almost. With the change of Q3 to being a low fuel session, I'd also put the Sunday practice back in, even if just half an hour, and allow setup changes. That way teams qualifying pace doesn't necessarily carry over into race pace, and could lead to more overtaking.
Good call.

Sunday warm up and ability to change setups meant a huge difference between Sat and Sunday...

Remember how crap the 2001 Jordan was in races? But how great it was in qualifying?

natef1

So.. This is part of FOTA's F1 "show" that they want? Something that they create and fabricate?

As mentioned above Qualifying is pretty much great except for Q3, I like myurr's idea of allowing setup changes.

ESPImperium

Sunday practice would be good to re-introduce as a set up change for wet wether on race day would make the cars equal in those circumstances as well. But id limit the paramaters they can edit to mostly ride height and small suspension changes like change of springs and tortion bars, also alow them to change the wings as well.

But the general set up for races should be 60% what they finished Quali with.

ISLAMATRON

yep, change setting, but no parts, except broken ones under the current rules

axle

I do think Q3 is a little dull, but that will change with the removal of refueling in the races next year. So I'm cool with how things are at present...certainly don't want it more complicated.
- Axle

Richard

Roseville AND Roswelll? Crikey its was worse than I thought. May need a double layer of foil for my tin hat.