USF1 2010 design images

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ss_collins

USF1 2010 design images

Some of you may have seen this on wind Tunnel but those who have not can watch it here. The new USF1 car revealed. We are hoping to get some more detailed cads in the next few days.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... ealed.html

PlatinumZealot

Re: USF1 2010 design images

THey are pretty clever, it seems they took the best elements from the best cars on the grid. It looks RedBull Brawnish...IMO
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Saribro

The sight of that diffuser worries me.
Quite frankly, as I mentioned when the Anderson interview on SpeedTV was posted, I'm conviced these are either very early versions or dumbed down renders to present the masses. Both cases being fairly useless to us.

PNSD

Haha, I remember that video :P

Thing is, CAD and CFD images are one thing, a car is another.

There are many guys on this forum alone who could design an F1 car and run some CFD then post the pictures and say they are starting up an F1 team.

I would rather not see things like this because in my opinion it seems like they (USF1) are trying their damn hardest to make sure everybody knows they are doing something and that they still exist. Strangly that makes me more worried about whether or not they will make it. I would rather not see anything until say a launch when they display a real car!

Still, thanks for the images.

outer_bongolia

I actually noticed the nose shapes are different in those pictures! The nose of the car at the bottom is curved downwards a la Macca, but the one at the very top resembles a narrow BMW nose.

They either don't wanna give away what the car will look like yet, or they don't know what the car will look like yet.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Giblet

Or the third option, they are trying all kinds of iterations.

This is the design phase, I would hope that they try all kinds of ideas in CFD, as that is _exactly_ what CFD is for.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mach11

there is a lot more to go when it comes to designing the car... i would agree with Giblet ... its still the design phase...

but seeing the front nose it does resemble the older models of a F1 car... (jordans)... but we need to wait till the launch of the car...

i would say the best strategy world be to make a collection of all the best designs and make one final prototype... and then as the season unwinds further updates can be done...

but the fact that there is going to be 13 teams is just AWESOME!!!!!!!! =D> :D
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

xpensive

Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to spot any sign of a DDD, which has been deemed legal for months now.

According to Anderson, the car will be rolling in October, I guess we will see about that, but I have my doubts.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316

Saribro wrote:The sight of that diffuser worries me.

Why?

Its the bog standard diffuser everyone will be using next year.

[You are all aware that the FIA clarified ages ago that the thing will be illegal next year]

wesley123

kilcoo316 wrote:
Saribro wrote:The sight of that diffuser worries me.

Why?

Its the bog standard diffuser everyone will be using next year.

[You are all aware that the FIA clarified ages ago that the thing will be illegal next year]
yeah sure, thats why they allowed it for this year so all teams started to build one and then yoiu disallow it for next year, not pretty much cost cutting.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

kilcoo316

wesley123 wrote:yeah sure, thats why they allowed it for this year so all teams started to build one and then yoiu disallow it for next year, not pretty much cost cutting.

Are you questioning the faultless and perfect logic of the FIA? :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

astracrazy

wesley123 wrote:
yeah sure, thats why they allowed it for this year so all teams started to build one and then yoiu disallow it for next year, not pretty much cost cutting.
this is the same FIA who came up the the KERS system. For teams to spend millions and millions on it and it never to be used (what i mean is not making it compulsory so it must be used)

Thats cost cutting :D

Confused_Andy

kilcoo316 wrote:
Saribro wrote:[You are all aware that the FIA clarified ages ago that the thing will be illegal next year]
Have you got a link for this, I dont remember reading it and cant find anything atm.

xpensive

kilcoo316 wrote: [You are all aware that the FIA clarified ages ago that the thing will be illegal next year]
News to me kilcoo, care to elaborate?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

spacepig

These are almost certainly the initial design phase studies from early in the year. They clearly show them testing basic things like nose height. At that time, it wasn't yet certain whether the DDD would make it through to 2010 (it's not illegal for next year, by the way). Either way, you would want to run a model without a complex diffuser first, so when you add one, you can better understand what it does and how it affects the flow field. It would be pretty silly to put it in from the first run.

I'm sure the design has progressed greatly from these images. Of course around here it's customary to assume that the people involved are inbred moonshine swilling yokels who have never seen a copy of Autosport, so carry on as you were.