A great F1 passing study (must read!)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: A great F1 passing study (must read!)

Some of you said the problem does not even exist, I´ll try to explain the reason I disagree. Open you mind please, don´t take it too literally, just try to get the idea because my english is not that good. Also, this is generally speaking, there will be many examples to contradict me, but we´re talking about F1 in general so we must analyse in general

We can see on track overtakings as the numbers show, but most of them are due to the crappy tires designed to suffer excessive wear, so they generate different strategies with very different race pace, what means there´s no battle at all. DRS, yes, more overtakings, but again no battle at all, as you cannot defend from a car with 15kmh faster top speed. So we see on track overtakings, but very little on track battles.

There are two options, with same strategy you cannot overtake because you cannot get close enough and not even DRS solve this, or if different strategy you cannot defend your position because the pace is too different. Anycase, no battle

So crappy tires increased the number of overtakings, but that´s only a clean up of the statistics. Also, those with same tire strategy suffer more than ever because of the marbles problem due to the excessive wear, so their only chance is trying a different strategy doing the pit-stop sooner or later trying something different. FIA have switched on track ovetakings with strategic moves.

This means drivers talent have very little responsability on most overtakings, it´s strategy, no driver talent, and like it or not, most people watch F1 because of the drivers. If driver role decrease, F1 audience decrease, as we´re seeing from these last seassons

This all comes from the aero design generating dirty air wich does not allow close battles, this is what made F1 quite boring. Then some rules like DRS or crappy tires cleaned up the numbers, but the problem remained the same. They have patched the problem, but ignored the root

Strategy is fine, but only if it´s a part of the game as it has always been, not the game itself as it is lately

Dirty air, that´s the problem to solve. And that´s due to wings mainly. Any reason they cannot replace some downforce from wings with downfoce from ground effect? Things have evolved since it was banned, today it could be used safely. For example, they could reduce wings and allow ground effects and active suspensions, any problem? That would allow close battles again without needing crappy tires or artificial devices like DRS

Andres125sx

what I mean with no battles is that there is no emotion, you know what's going to happen beforehand

strad

RACING not necessarily overtaking... I want racing.. Trying, attempting... Hammer and tongs as they used to say.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Moose
Moose

strad wrote:RACING not necessarily overtaking... I want racing.. Trying, attempting... Hammer and tongs as they used to say.
And... we've been getting racing. There have been some pretty spectacular battles this year, up there with the best.

strad

Jeeez, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. The only way this is great is compared to the last few utterly awful years. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Moose
Moose

strad wrote:Jeeez, if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. The only way this is great is compared to the last few utterly awful years. :roll:
Can you give a concrete example of a year in which we saw better racing, including a list of exciting battles?